News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Ammo Shortage: beginning to thin out shooters who compete

Started by Litehiker, April 15, 2021, 02:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DDRH65CM

How many rounds do you guys shoot for BR? Or tactical BR?

I only recently started joining matches, but more the PRS/NRL type. Single day events only, it's cheaper and I can't take off more than 2 days. Round count is about 50-70rnds per match. About 6-9 stages. Our MD mentioned he's trying to make matches with slightly less round count due shortages on components.

Really enjoying shooting Open division (Positional). Been shooting non-sanction Hunter division (Prone, Tripod or Positional, your choice).

Originally built a 6GT for matches, but find myself shooting my 6.5CM as my match rifle.

jvw2008

The 6.5 Creedmoor is such a versatile cartridge. I can understand why it works well for you with that style of shooting. Between sighters and record rounds our count per Long Range BR match is 60-80 cartridges. I am also a match director and agree that participation is being affected by ammo and component shortage. It's a  bad situation for the growth of shooting sports because it seems like the newly interested shooters are the ones who didn't see this shortage coming and thus didn't lay in their supplies like the more seasoned shooters.

gman47564

I shot a long range steel match in march.. it took about 90 rounds.. i dont get a chance to compete very often but i do shoot alot.. a couple hundred rounds a week was pretty normal for me..5 months ago i thought i was stocked up pretty good..  then everything  disappeared seemed like... now i may shoot 75 to a 100 rounds a week and kind of pick and choose the rifles i shoot by the availability  of powder and bullets i can find for them.. seems like some things are getting a little easier to find and hopefully in 6 months from now we as a community can restock are shelves..
Grant

autoxforfun

I shoot NBRSA matches monthly (if I don't have a conflict).  I shoot mainly a 6.5CM or sometimes a 6CM.  Each match takes about 80 rounds for sighters and score.   I have also been shooting the PRS practices which takes about 50 rounds (depends on how much practice you want to take) and it has been a good way to improve my prone shooting.  I am trying to balance my inventory of powder, bullets and primers to make them go as far as possible.  I hope Grant it right and things get better in 6 months.....I'm not holding my breadth however....lol
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

DDRH65CM

The thing with PRS/NRL, you're timed.  So when i suck, i save ammo, 'cause i'm too slow for the COF LOL

autoxforfun

Except for a practice....there you can do it until you get better or run out of ammo.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough