Skip to main content
Topic: Ammo Shortage: beginning to thin out shooters who compete (Read 504 times) previous topic - next topic

Ammo Shortage: beginning to thin out shooters who compete

At my local long distance (to 1,100 yards) shoot we're seeing fewer competitors even as most are vaccinated. (We're about 50%  geezers).

And here in the Las Vegas Valley ammo is just UNAVAILABLE. Powder, and especially PRIMERS, are not found, even at Ventura Ammunition, the former go-to store for ammo. They have NO powder! Nor does Bass Pro and Sportsman's Warehouse has shotgun powder only today.

I'm now down to using H4895 and that's almost gone. I can get some powder online but I refuse to pay hijack prices. Luckily I have enough primers B/C I bought a bunch on a sale BC (Before Covid).

AAAARRRGGGGHHH!

Eric B.
"I can stop buying guns and gun stuff anytime I want - I've done it hundreds of times."

Re: Ammo Shortage: beginning to thin out shooters who compete

Reply #1
I’ve seen the same at some of the early matches this year. The seasoned competitors seem to be well prepared for the shortages. The newer shooters not so much. Also think there are a lot of guys who have taken inventory and decided not to start their competitive season until later when the weather is more favorable.

Reply #2
Our matches out here in the Northern CA area are still being pretty well attended but I've seen some reduction in the practice sessions as well as the amount of traffic on the public ranges.  So the shortage is definitely having an effect and is likely to only get worse.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #3
I've seen a reduction in practice sessions because of having a job LOL
Dave

Reply #4
Definitely not because your inventory is low!😂

Reply #5
I'm going to miss the next three local NBRSA matches so I'm shooting a 22lr IR 50/50 BR match on Saturday.  I still have some match grade 22lr that I can shoot.  This will help extend my center fire components.
Bob

Reply #6
Good plan. I don’t know how you keep sane balancing both racing and shooting! I’ve never been involved in racing. It must be a lot of fun to affectively compete with your shooting time. 👍

Reply #7
I'm going to miss the next three local NBRSA matches so I'm shooting a 22lr IR 50/50 BR match on Saturday.  I still have some match grade 22lr that I can shoot.  This will help extend my center fire components.

Not sure why but RF BR has been interesting to me for a few years now, not even sure where to start looking for a match anywhere near me which is just as well I sure don't need another gun to feed.
Dave

Reply #8
Jerry, was it your last match where I seen a "tactical" class?
And 1-2 shooters were in it?

Reply #9
Yes.

IBS started that classification last year and the rules are set very similar to the existing BR rules. The idea was to get more shooters involved and it seems to be catching on.

I’ve toyed with the idea of adding it in at CRC but have not done so yet.

Reply #10
Actually Gregg I think there were 4-5 tactical shooters at the Grand Junction match. Their targets are scored separately. They can shoot off a front rest or use a bipod. Those that did best were shooting off front rests and were able to get down in the 5” group range at 600. I should shoot one of those matches with my MPA 6 BRA. 😊

Reply #12
Good plan. I don’t know how you keep sane balancing both racing and shooting! I’ve never been involved in racing. It must be a lot of fun to affectively compete with your shooting time. 👍

lol....Jerry it is tough to prioritize two things you love doing.  Since driving probably only has a few more years left where I can be competitive, that is the priority.  The next three matches conflict with my racing events...so the racing wins.   After that I can wheel myself up to the bench and continue shooting.
Bob

Reply #13
Makes sense. Enjoy and be safe. 👍

Reply #14
I am no longer doing any practice, and saving my powder and primers for matches.  I have enough for this year and probably next as well but I don't know how long this may last.  I do compete in RF-BR locally at 50 and 100 yds. and have a good supply of match grade amo with more on the way, and can practice with loads of cheep stuff.