Skip to main content
Topic: upcoming steel match (Read 738 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: upcoming steel match

Reply #15
Most will shoot it prone jerry but i will shoot it off a bench.. its the shooters choice..
Grant

Reply #16
That’s neat that they let you go either way. Sounds like a fun shoot!  When is it?

Reply #17
Its march 13.. it is a fun match.. lots of different distances.. some stages has two targest at say 830 yards and two more targest at 970. You have to hit the first two to move to the second two.. 10 rounds with 2 minutes to get them off.. one stage may have 5 targets at 470 yards from moa down to 1/4 moa with 10 shots in 2 minutes and you start with the biggest and have to hit 2 times to move to the next smaller target.. pretty challenging
Grant

Reply #18
Sounds similar to a PRS style match but we have 90 seconds to shoot and shoot most from positions with some prone. Shoot a similar KYL rack at matches from that range to 650-700. You will have fun.

Reply #19
Its march 13.. it is a fun match.. lots of different distances.. some stages has two targest at say 830 yards and two more targest at 970. You have to hit the first two to move to the second two.. 10 rounds with 2 minutes to get them off.. one stage may have 5 targets at 470 yards from moa down to 1/4 moa with 10 shots in 2 minutes and you start with the biggest and have to hit 2 times to move to the next smaller target.. pretty challenging

Have to know your personal external ballistics well. 👍

Reply #20
Ive shot in it the last 3 years rob.. its always a good time.. this match is the 13th and on the 14th their having a prs match sponsored and put on by red brush gun club.. it will be for points in the prs series.. havnt decided if i will shoot that or not yet..

Jerry thats the biggest thing is knowing your drops and figuring out what the wind is doing to ya.
Grant

Reply #21
Hope it warms up for you by then. 😊

Reply #22
Best of luck grant
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #23
My match is a week away and cant make up my mind what gun to use.. shot 3 different ones today and their all shooting about the same.. between 1/2 and 1/4 minute groups.. was supposed to go there today and practice but my boy and buddy both bailed on me.. lol.
So i went to looking here at home for more distance.. across the road from me at 470 yards is a old growed up fence row.. with trees and scrub brush growed up in it but behind it another open field.. i know the guy that owns it and knew he wouldnt care if i cleared a shooting hole through it so i grabbed the chainsaw and did just that.. cleared a small opening in it.. then set a plate out at 600 yards.. used my portable bench and shot all 3 guns out to 600.. mainly to make sure my balistic app is right and it is.. fairly windy but i kept all 3 at or just shy of 1/2 moa out there.. kinda funny i could keep them around inch groups at 430 but 600 i couldnt.. what wind is tricky.. lol.. heres a 3 shot group i shot with my prc..
Grant

Reply #24
Half MOA @ 600 should get the job done for you. Pick the one you enjoy shooting the most.

Reply #25
Half MOA @ 600 should get the job done for you. Pick the one you enjoy shooting the most.

Gosh dang that didnt help jerry.. i enjoy shooting all of them.. lol.
Grant

Reply #26
I’m sure you have a favorite.

Reply #27
I have a question for ya jerry.. with the vortex razor when you pull the turret cap up to make adjustments can you just leave it up or does it need to be pushed back down after an adjustment?
Grant

Reply #28
You can leave it up - no problem.

Reply #29
Thanks
Grant