Skip to main content
Topic: upcoming steel match (Read 759 times) previous topic - next topic

upcoming steel match

accuracy Indiana has their steel match coming up in a few weeks (march 14)..
i have been busy trying to decide what rifle to use in it this year... been shooting my 6 creedmoor my 6.5 creedmoor and my 6.5 prc..to see which is shooting the best... and their all shooting well... i did have to redo the load on my 6.5 creedmoor today... had to drop the charge from 42.5 to 42.3 but in doing that i had to pull down about 200 rounds and start over... quiet a chore but their all loaded back up and ready to go i believe... as of right now im leaning toward the 6.5 creedmoor for this match but i have a couple others i want to shoot a little and then stretch all their legs out before i make a final decision... the match will be from 300 yards out to 1400 yards and then one stage at a mile... pretty fun match and me and my boy and my buddy brad do pretty fair at it...last year i had trouble with a scope i wasnt use to but that wont happen this year... lol... looking forward to it...
Grant

Re: upcoming steel match

Reply #1
Playing sick again?
How about the 280I?

Reply #2
raining here today gregg... cold windy crappy day out...lol. the 280 ai is a candidate also... it will go to the bottoms with me to see how it does as well... it shot fantastic the last time i had it down there...
Grant

Reply #3
How is the 6.5-284 shooting....seems like another likely candidate, especially with the 153g Bergers.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #4
Thats my dilemma bob.. the 6.5x284 is another one shooting well enough to win the thing .. along with my 284 and 300 win mag.. lol.  The weather forcast will have a little to do with which one i take.. if it looks like it will be windy i will take one thats shooting a heavier and faster bullet..
Grant

Reply #5
Plan for the majority of the match and not just one stage. I would be using the 6.5 or 6 mm but also depends on the actual stages. All just prone or positional?

Reply #6
The first stage at 300 yards is positional.  The rest is either prone or from a bench. Your choice. Rear bag and bipod .. no front rest or bag..
Grant

Reply #7
I shot this today with my 6.5 creedmoor. 3 shots @ 430 yards. 10 mph wind from 7 oclock. 30 degrees out. Thats competitive in my world.  :D
Grant

Reply #8
The first stage at 300 yards is positional.  The rest is either prone or from a bench. Your choice. Rear bag and bipod .. no front rest or bag..

Then pretty much any of the calibers will work. Shooting prone or bench takes out the recoil management needed to stay on target from obstacles etc. Magnums are in the mix now. 

Reply #9
If I was shooting only to 1000 yards, I would pick the 6.5 CM from my set of rifles today.  I was very pleased with how it shot in my nasty conditions the other week.  It is the 1400 yard target that has me thinking something bigger.  Can you use more than one rifle or do you need to stay with one throughout the competition?

You know Grant, it seems like just recently you posted about your last match where you guys did really well.  Scary  how a year has gone by already.  I have the utmost confidence that you will do well.  I sure your competition was hoping you didn't show up.

Bob

Reply #10
I shot this today with my 6.5 creedmoor. 3 shots @ 430 yards. 10 mph wind from 7 oclock. 30 degrees out. Thats competitive in my world.  :D

That is competitive in most worlds.  Good shooting.
Bob

Reply #11
Thanks bob.. we can use a different rifle for the mile shot but thats it.. my buddy brad went 6 for 10 at the mile shot last year with his 6.5 savage evolution so its capable of the long ones also.. this afternoon i shot the 6.5x284 with the 153 atips and it shot really small also in not very good conditions.. so it and my creedmoor is at the top of the list as of now..
Grant

Reply #12
Thanks bob.. we can use a different rifle for the mile shot but thats it.. my buddy brad went 6 for 10 at the mile shot last year with his 6.5 savage evolution so its capable of the long ones also.. this afternoon i shot the 6.5x284 with the 153 atips and it shot really small also in not very good conditions.. so it and my creedmoor is at the top of the list as of now..

Good to have great options.
Bob

Reply #13
Still haven't made up my mind on which rifle to use in this match.. the weather has put a damper on what i was wanting to do testing wise.. my boy did come over today and we shot here at home out to 430 yards and my prc really shot well.. my 6.5 creedmoor didnt do as well but i kind of expected that as i was pretty much fire forming the cases that had been shot in two other rifles..  the rounds i have loaded for the match if i use it did much better a month ago. But that prc did great today with a 10 mph wind from 5 oclock.. i shot a 3 shot group with it under a inch. Then shot a 2 inch plate a couple times then sent another one into the 3 shot group and it didnt get any bigger.. so 4 under a inch at 430.. pretty happy about that..
Grant

Reply #14
You should be happy with that. Do you shoot that match prone or off a bench?