Skip to main content
Topic: Local NBRSA Match (Read 391 times) previous topic - next topic

Local NBRSA Match

I shot the local 1000 yard NBRSA match yesterday.  We had a break in the weather on Saturday and then another storm was coming in on Sunday afternoon.  I mention this because on Sunday morning during the match, the wind was blowing in that storm front with a vengeance.  I don't think I've seen the wind flags being that horizontal before....they were straight out.  The wind was coming from 7-8 o'clock so it not only pushed you off to the right but played havoc with the vertical as well.  There were 17 competitors, all of them very capable to shooting small groups in good conditions.  This match really challenged everyone.  There were a number of folks that after the sighter period failed to put any record shots on paper.  That upset one guy so much that he just packed up and left.

I shot the 6.5CM in the light gun using 140g Berger Hybrids.  That round did very well in these conditions.  This blind squirrel found a couple acorns in light gun.  I was the only one to shoot a 50 and took 1st place for single target, 2nd place for small group and 3rd place for Total Agg Group and Total Score.   I learned the value of shooting a fast string since I was struggling to detect meaningful changes in the wind.

For Heavy gun I brought out the 6.5-284 Norma 29 pounder.  This was where my wind judgment cost me.  I would have some great sighters but when it came for the record (10 shots), I was moved well off of what I expected.  And the vertical was killing me even if I got the windage correct.  But I did well enough (all shots on target) to take 3rd place for total Two Gun Group.  Out of the 17 competitors, I finished 3rd overall.  Putting all shots on paper was a success in and of itself.  
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Re: Local NBRSA Match

Reply #1
Way to go man.. you did really well in some very tough conditions.. couldnt be happier for ya..
Grant

Reply #2
Outstanding Bob!!!  That is very good marksmanship/wind reading to get that performance out of a 140 at Creedmoor velocities in those conditions.  I recall praying for light winds when I first got in to F-class competition.  My wife laughs at me now because I'm not happy unless it is blowing 8-10mph with big gusts. :D

Reply #3
Way to go man.. you did really well in some very tough conditions.. couldnt be happier for ya..

Thanks Grant.  I always have a good time shooting our matches....but it does feel better to do well in challenging conditions.
Bob

Reply #4
Outstanding Bob!!!  That is very good marksmanship/wind reading to get that performance out of a 140 at Creedmoor velocities in those conditions.  I recall praying for light winds when I first got in to F-class competition.  My wife laughs at me now because I'm not happy unless it is blowing 8-10mph with big gusts. :D

Robin, lol.  There are a number of folks that I shoot with that wait for the later relays so that they can shoot in the wind.  Being good at that will make a difference when it counts.  There are the guys that shoot National Matches and they know that they could face any type of condition.  I still pray for light winds.....
Bob

Reply #5
Harsh and or tricky winds test not only the rifle/load, but the shooter as well.  Anyone with a good rifle/load tune can do well in mild or good conditions but the best wind readers rise to the top in bad conditions.  Congragulations.

Reply #6
Harsh and or tricky winds test not only the rifle/load, but the shooter as well.  Anyone with a good rifle/load tune can do well in mild or good conditions but the best wind readers rise to the top in bad conditions.  Congragulations.

Thanks for the support.  I am getting better in the wind but I do feel like I got a bit lucky.   We have a weekly practice sessions at 600/1000 and I've been diligent on making these.  Only way to do better is to shoot...
Bob

Re: Local NBRSA Match -- Update

Reply #7
I shot in our local NBRSA 600 yard match today.  The conditions were just the opposite of last month.  It was sunny, a bit chilly but not cold, and little to no wind.  It was a perfect day to shoot.  So we had 21 competitors at the match and with these conditions, I was expecting the competition to be strong.

I shot the 6mm Grendel in the light gun rounds and then the 6.5 CM in the heavy gun (it is not really a heavy gun but wanted to see how it would do).  The Grendel started out really strong with a 2.069" group but faded some in the later groups.  The 6.5CM brought home the bacon and kept me in 2nd place for Heavy Gun group and score.  I finished the day 2nd overall with a number of second place finishes along the way.   

There were a number of really great groups and scores achieved but not by me.   I felt like the racer that never won a race but won the championship.....consistent toward the top finishes won out.  So I didn't have the best of any score but I was very consistent at being in the mix and ultimately finished well.
Bob

Reply #8
way to go bob...good job...
Grant

Re: Local NBRSA Match -- Update

Reply #9
I shot in our local NBRSA 600 yard match today.  The conditions were just the opposite of last month.  It was sunny, a bit chilly but not cold, and little to no wind.  It was a perfect day to shoot.  So we had 21 competitors at the match and with these conditions, I was expecting the competition to be strong.

I shot the 6mm Grendel in the light gun rounds and then the 6.5 CM in the heavy gun (it is not really a heavy gun but wanted to see how it would do).  The Grendel started out really strong with a 2.069" group but faded some in the later groups.  The 6.5CM brought home the bacon and kept me in 2nd place for Heavy Gun group and score.  I finished the day 2nd overall with a number of second place finishes along the way.   

There were a number of really great groups and scores achieved but not by me.   I felt like the racer that never won a race but won the championship.....consistent toward the top finishes won out.  So I didn't have the best of any score but I was very consistent at being in the mix and ultimately finished well.

In the competition circle there is a lot of debate as to how a match should be scored. Some folks like a shoot off at the end of the match between those competitors that had at least one good score or one good group. Others prefer winners being assigned based on aggregate compilation of all scores and groups shot throughout the match. I’m a firm supporter of the aggregate system because I believe consistent performance is more indicative of a winner than one lucky group or one lucky score. 

Reply #10
Nice job Bob, and I'll shoot the aggregate system any day. I'm looking forward to the Long Range Rendevouz but have to admit I'm apprehensive about making the cuts and being in the finale.
I tend to start out a big match slow and fight my way back into it. Hard to do if you don't get to shoot all the targets.
Dave

Reply #11
Good to here that a 6.5 CM got ahead of the pack. You are doing lots of things right Bob.👍

Reply #12
Congrats Bob!  Great finish.

Reply #13
Thanks guys for the support and kudos.....much of the credit goes to you and what I've learned on this forum.  Continue to strive to be a better every day.  I agree with the thoughts around the aggregate scoring....but it nice to have the bragging rights to the smallest group or the highest score.  The shooter that took first place did it very convincingly.  He took smallest group/highest score honors for both LG and HG.  He shot very well.

On a side note, since I retired, I've been trying to help the local NBRSA club out with running the events and doing whatever was needed.  Besides shooting the events, I also help with scoring and do the data entry into the computer for all of the score tabulation.  Yesterday, I decided to see if I could get their radio's better organized.  They have a number of Vertex Standard radios in different models and different frequencies.  My racing group uses the same brand and they are a good radio.  Since I have the software to re-program them, I took the clubs radios and started getting them to all have the ability to talk to each other.  There are now multiple channels in common across all of the radios.  Should make their life a bit easier.
Bob

Reply #14
That is a huge step forward for them. One of my shooters is a radio geek and he did the same for us. Makes that essential communication so much better. Long antennas are your friend on the range and especially down in the pits.