Skip to main content
Topic: 6mm Creedmoor? Maybe!! (Read 322 times) previous topic - next topic

6mm Creedmoor? Maybe!!

Well I have been thinking about what to do this coming 2021 IBS Long Range Season.

I have two benchrest rifles, a Savage in 6mm BRA and a Haverkamp in 6mm Dasher.  However I am short on powder and primers for both.  I do however have 9 pounds of H4350 and 5000 large rifle primers.  Fed 210M and 210's.

I was thinking maybe a ordering a Criterion Savage prefit in 6mm Creedmoor for the Savage, to utilize these components for the upcoming season at least until I can restock for the Dasher.

I have 6.5 Creedmoor dies and go-no go gauges which may be utilized for the 6mm Creedmoor.  Worst case I would need only a Wilson 6mm Seater.  

I would need 6mm Creedmoor brass, however I have a bunch of new Lake City 308 brass that I converted to 6,5 Creedmoor.  I could reform them to 6mm Creedmoor or just buy new Starline brass.

I think it would be tough to compete with the 6mm Creedmoor, however at least I would be shooting.

Eric

NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

Re: 6mm Creedmoor? Maybe!!

Reply #1
Give it a go eric.. might suprise you how well you can get the 6mm creedmoor to shoot..
Grant

Reply #2
I would think about sticking with a straight 6.5 CM and using the Vapor Trail 133 gr bullet.

Reply #3
I would definitely buy brass if you want to give it a solid go. Also you might get away with using the 6 Dasher seater also. I use my old .243 seater for my 6mm Creed. Obviously you would have to readjust it but it should work.

Reply #4
That's a tough call Eric and Jerry brings up a valid point. There is a very good shooter out at Deep Creek whose been messing with a 6 Creedmoor barrel for a while now and I'm not aware of him winning anything with it. I'd be more concerned about barrel life and keeping up with throat erosion on the 6

A 6.5 in a 28" barrel would be very easy to run the 2820 node without being out of barrel/throat after 800-1000 rounds. I played with a 6.5 Creedmoor early last season on a Savage like you are contemplating. I used 135 Atips and while I didn't win with it i shot some decent groups. I'd try the 6.5 I believe.
Dave

Reply #5
I guess the one thing I would keep in mind is the increased recoil over your 6mm rifles. Going to a 130 gr bullet and staying below 2900 should still allow free recoil management. Definitely would want a 4” forearm.

Reply #6
I guess the one thing I would keep in mind is the increased recoil over your 6mm rifles. Going to a 130 gr bullet and staying below 2900 should still allow free recoil management. Definitely would want a 4” forearm.

I'm not sure the 6 pushing a 105 class bullet at 3000 +/- will get much if any recoil reduction over a 6.5 pushing a 130 or 140 class at 2800 my big 6s have always been pretty snappy, not uncomfortable but speaking from a bag riding standpoint.
Dave

Reply #7
Man no love for the 6 creedmoor.. dave i know you built one awhile back but i think more as a hunting rifle if i remember correctly.. dont know that jerry has ever tried one.. could be wrong.. mine happens to be the most accurate rifle in my stable.. it won me  a second place finish out of 40 some shooters in the only match i used it in.. its a very good round eric..
Grant

Reply #8
Man no love for the 6 creedmoor.. dave i know you built one awhile back but i think more as a hunting rifle if i remember correctly.. dont know that jerry has ever tried one.. could be wrong.. mine happens to be the most accurate rifle in my stable.. it won me  a second place finish out of 40 some shooters in the only match i used it in.. its a very good round eric..

You need to get a 6BRA or Dasher in that stable. 😊
And start to compete with it on paper so you actually know what you got. 😊

Reply #9
It's sounds like you want to try this without putting much $$$
as possible, then you haven't lost much if it doesn't work.
The 6 Creed is as accurate as any, IF you find the sweet spot.
Grant and I have found that. I hear many that don't and you will
have to worry some about barrel life. In BR it's not as big a deal
as in PRS.
You already have the Dasher and BRA, so it's not a big step.
I've had good luck with a 6x47. Less powder, better barrel life
and just as fast as the 6 Creed.

Reply #10
I'm not knocking the 6 Creedmoor in as much as it is an accurate cartridge but that the tune window might be narrower, barrel life shorter, consumes more powder and may be harder to keep in tune, might be harder to manage in the bags etc.

It will NOT agg with a BR or BR variant, if it did the guy who holds many 1000 yard BR records from MT would be shooting it in matches.
He will praise it all day as a long range hunting rifle and has killed deer and antelope out past 1000 with one.
He plays with a 6 Creedmoor barrel on a BR gun between matches and unscrews it and put a BRA back on for the matches.

Eric stated himself it probably wouldn't win and he's probably correct but for his intended purpose with the right tune and component combination it will allow him to compete and be somewhat competitive.

Edit: And do so without a big investment! I won't discourage anyone from getting out there and shooting with whatever you can.
Dave

Reply #11
The recoil in the 6 Creed is not bad at all. Less than 120s in a 6.5 Creed. I run the 108s at right around 3000fps. Barrel life if kept in that area isn't bad either. The 6 Creed got a bad rap as a barrel eater by guys running it at 3150+ when it came out. Keep it in the sane velocities and it will last longer. My old .243 running the same velocities and amount of powder was at 1880 rounds when I sold it and it was sub half moa still. Now you know  I am not a BR guy but if he wants to give the 6 Creed a run then he should go for it as the money he will put out won't be much.

Reply #12
All teasing aside, I can not knock the 6CM. As Grant said, I have no personal experience with one. They have been very successful in PRS but not so much in benchrest or F Class. That could simply be because someone hasn’t come along yet but who knows how to optimize the performance for benchrest or belly benchrest.

Reply #13
Can you run a Savage action with the recoil of the 6 Creedmoor fast enough to stay in a condition?  If not you are giving up the better windage of the heavy for cal. 6.5 & 7mm's

Reply #14
Eric, If you pursue this route I may have some 6 Creed brass, new or once fired, I can give you. I’ll check on Saturday.