A humbling for me.. a challenge for you all..

Started by gman47564, June 23, 2019, 01:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman47564

Golf ball at 250..  ::) will give it a shot in a bit.. (pun intended).. lol. If it doesn't come another shower that is..

Practiced for it earlier with my 6.5.. 5 shot group on a 2 inch plate..
Grant

Ranger 188

gman47564

I know right!!!

The golf ball wasnt Much of a challenge.. sent it on it's way my first shot.. kinda cool though.. I watched it go for a little ways till it got in the weeds and brush..
Grant

autoxforfun

Grant, I see a disturbing trend forming.  The better you get the bigger the challenge you need.  I'm not sure I see where this is going to end....may not be pretty. :D

Regarding shooting golf balls, I was at the range a couple months ago shooting steel at 500 meters.  There was another guy there that I have shot against in some BR competition that had put some golf balls out at that distance and also at a  number of shorter distances...he was getting ready for a tactical match and wanted practice at ranging on small targets.  He came up me as he was leaving and said that there were two golf balls at 500 meters that he couldn't hit and that they were all mine.   So I looked and saw them sitting nicely on the steel I-Beam just waiting for me.  I took about 3-4 shots and missed.  It was hard to tell how far off I was so I picked one of the fixed steel targets and proceeded to basically zero the scope at 500 meters.  I was able to put a nice group together that gave me confidence in the POI.   I then went back to the golf balls....two shots two hits.  One went about 15 feet in the air and the other just disappeared.  I'm sure a lot of it was luck but it sure felt good.  Fun stuff !!
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

DHuffman

Do you need a job  Grant? You seem to have a lot time on your hands lately. ???? I can help!
Dave

Ranger 188

Dave, he's got one of those easy tax payer jobs where if it looks
like it might rain, they show up and get paid for the whole day
and goes home to shoot golf balls.   :o

gman47564

Bob that is impressive shooting.. twice as far as mine was today.. well done sir..

Dave I think I had 68 hours last week at work.. took the left overs of a hurricane to keep me home today and some personal matters to take care of. Golf balls to shoot.. lol.
Gregg I could use a job like that.. if I get rained out I just get 2 hours.. unless I start my piece of equipment.. ???? then its 4 hours.. lol
Grant

autoxforfun

Thanks Grant....but I'm sure there some luck involved.  ::)   I don't usually shoot that tight of groups at that distance.
Bob

gman47564

2 for 2 isn't luck... one thing about shooting at little aim points is that it makes you focus more on what your doin... how your holding the gun.. how your squeezing the trigger.. makes you a better rifleman... the golf ball was fairly easy at 250... the corn has my 300 and 430 yard targets hid now ... so now im thinking a pop bottle cap at 250... :}
Grant

gman47564

Moutaindew bottle caps at 250 anyone. :)) . drilled it my first attempt with the 6 creedmoor.
Grant

autoxforfun

LOL.  OK, so bottle caps at 250 yards are too easy....so what's next?  By the way, nice shooting !!!
Bob

mnbogboy

I would like to try that.  Do they sell Mountain Dew in wide mouth gallon jugs?
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

gman47564

Lol mn.. I dunno if they do or not.. that's usually what I need.. lol.

Not sure bob.. my scopes have pretty fine cross hairs on them and I couldn't see the bottle cap when I put the cross hairs on it.. so anything smaller I dont think I could see..
Grant

autoxforfun

Understand.....a fine cross hairs is important but so is magnification. If you had something like the Golden Eagle with x60 magnification and a fine reticle, you should be able to get to a smaller target.  I've really gotten spoiled with scope with a lot magnification....but you do pay for it.
Bob

mnbogboy

Grass hoppers are jumping all over the lawn now.
Reminds me of a story....A few years back I was shooting my 26" Shilen varmint weight .260....set up target at 100...walked back to bench...looked into the scope....wtf...grasshopper on the target....last group was about 1/2" right and 3/4" high.....held accordingly....bingo...first shot...walked back down...legs/blood splattered on paper and a second hopper lying below dead....just screwed up their screwing................but I missed a buck one time doing exactly the same thing!.....
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith