Skip to main content
Topic: A humbling for me.. a challenge for you all..  (Read 2113 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: A humbling for me.. a challenge for you all..

Reply #15
This bsa was like a 19 dollar scope.. all plastic except the glass .. the 147 gr eldm out of the 6.5x284 disintegrated it.. lol
Grant

Reply #16
I did that with a found pair of binoculars with my .17HMR at 100 yards, was interesting to say the lest.  And to think I recently chucked out an old crappy Bushnell Banner, dang.

Reply #17
Another cheapo plastic scope bites the dust..
It was bugging me that I couldn't hit that scope the other day with my 6mm creedmoor.. so I tried again today.. this time with loads I had loaded in alpha brass.. I put a couple on the plate to verify poi and was a click left.. one click to the right and let one fly.. the cheapo scope disappeared.. went down there and this is what I found of it.. 😁 won't be bugging me any more..
Grant

Reply #18
Lol.. I probably burnt up 200 dollars worth of components trying to do that..lol.. thought it would be a easy task but far from it..

Hey now, my scope only cost $199.99 but I can consistently take out a lifesaver at 300 yards.  OK, it has to be a mint one, mounted on a piece of steel painted flat black, on a Monday morning, with something less than full value wind.
See you at the range.

Reply #20
Buddy of mine did the same thing a few years ago with 7 mag at 400yds bullet never did make it though all the glass layers that whole story of shooting through the scope is BS. I’m not saying it wouldn't maim or kill the guy but going through the lenses into the guys eye idk pretty doubtful. I get my dose of humility on the 400yd egg shoot days.

Have to agree with modern scopes.  More than likely it would be a piece or pieces of all the shrapnel that would kill 'em.

Old scopes with minimal internals it might just be possible.

Reply #21
Lol.. I probably burnt up 200 dollars worth of components trying to do that..lol.. thought it would be a easy task but far from it..
But it was fun I'm sure!  Plus you got to work on your fine tuned skills.... Just a reminder, a bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!

Reply #22
I plan on doing this challenge.. but I do not have a scope but I have an old work cell phone...  I think I will find it quite satisfying none the less! 

Reply #23
Cell phone at 800 yds should be a close challenge to the scope.

Reply #25
How about, for those of us that don't have 300+ yd ranges in our backyard
a #2 pencil end at 100 yds. (5/16 of a inch wide, .3 MOA)
I was thinking of something small and standard and could be hung length wise
or it could be stuck into something so the end would be facing you.

Reply #26
That would be tough too gregg.. give it a try.. anything that's hard to hit will make a person a better shooter
Grant

Reply #27
Years back, us kids would drill holes in a piece of plywood
and press in a shotgun primer. We then evolved to  doing
the 20 gauge shells. Dump the BB's and refill with flour. Then
it was aspirin bottles filled with gasoline with a lit wick out
of the cap. Yeah we did crazier stuff but the targets got to
be too large for this excercise.....Let me tell you about the
time we blew up a chicken coop, with a burning rag sitting
on top a gallon of turpentine !! When your a kid, that was one
hell of a shot.....LOL

Reply #28
The good old days.. lol.. now the end of a 20 gauge shell at 200.. that would be a challenge as well..
Grant

Reply #29
Tannerite filled toilet paper tube at 300. 😋