Skip to main content
Topic: A humbling for me.. a challenge for you all..  (Read 2135 times) previous topic - next topic

A humbling for me.. a challenge for you all..

Target.. a 3x9 BSA scope lens..
Distance at least 400 yards.. I tried it at 430...
I thought this would be a easy challenge.. wrong!!!
I had a super cheap bsa scope laying around in here that i would never use on anything and thought I'm going to tie wire that thing to my 430 target beam.. let it hang down a foot or so and play sniper guy and send one through the eyepiece.. so i hang it up and get my 6.5 creedmoor and send a couple to the steel plate beside it to put a little heat in the barrel and confirm poi.. good to go so turn to the scope hanging there and cant find it.. lol.. so much for seeing the glass shining like in the movies.. kinda see it but not good enough to take the shot.. shit.. get down from my platform and go paint the glass white.. now i can see it good.. thinking bad guy your toast.. let one fly and a miss.. turn another one loose and miss.. shoot the steel again and I'm a inch high.. down a click  on the scope.. and send one and miss.. send 15 more and narry a hit.. wind is blowing a little.  The glass in the bsa is a 11/4 inch target.. kinda pissed cause i cant hit it i decide to get the 300 win mag.. first attempt and a miss.. next one grazed it.. 3rd one rocked it a good one and spun it around sideways.. thinking i got it i go check the target to find the front glass intact but the back eyepiece shot off it.. grrr. Straighten it back up and try again.. 15 rounds later it's still hanging there.. barrel on the 300 and 6.5 are hot so f#$k it.. I'm getting the 6 creedmoor and taking it out.. 20 rounds later it's still hanging there laughing at me.. back to the 300.. 4 or 5 rounds later i rocked it good again.. but can still see that white paint on the glass.. theirs a storm coming so i gotta get me stuff put up.. the bad guy behind the bsa scope was hit in the head with every shot but hes still got his scope eye.. lol.. give it a try.. everybody has a old junk scope laying around they will never use.. hang it up out there at 400 or so yards and send one through it.. humbled me...
Grant

Re: A humbling for me.. a challenge for you all..

Reply #1
They say those BSAs are tough.

Actually I have a 6-24 $149 special...glass sucks...but it always held zero and tracked ok...its a spare so I'm not going to shoot it up...heck it even adds a pound or two when it's mounted up! 😁
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #2
It must have had it's deflector shields up.

Stay Out Of My Psychosis!

Reply #3
That’s a challenge. Quarter MOA and no deviation from center. When I’m thinking I’m hot sh*t on the range I go after a 4” target set at 830. That is a humbling experience also.

Reply #4
I get all the humbling I need once a month in MT I'll pass on another opportunity.
Dave

Reply #5
Redeemed myself with the 6.5x284.. 2 slighter rounds on the plate to verify poi and smoked the scope on the first try..  :D the pieces I could find in the pic..
Grant

Reply #6
Redeemed myself with the 6.5x284.. 2 slighter rounds on the plate to verify poi and smoked the scope on the first try..  :D the pieces I could find in the pic..

Way to go "Carlos" 😂
Dave

Reply #7
Lol.. I probably burnt up 200 dollars worth of components trying to do that..lol.. thought it would be a easy task but far from it..
Grant

Reply #9
I love it!!!!

Reply #10
Now would be a good time to see how good BSA warranty's are!

Eric
NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

Reply #11
Let's see you try it with one of your Vortex Gen II scopes. 
I'll bet you can't hit it at 300 yds.  I dare you.  One shot.   ;) 

Reply #12
Lol.. I'll pass on that one Gregg. Lol
Grant

Reply #13
Buddy of mine did the same thing a few years ago with 7 mag at 400yds bullet never did make it though all the glass layers that whole story of shooting through the scope is BS. I’m not saying it wouldn't maim or kill the guy but going through the lenses into the guys eye idk pretty doubtful. I get my dose of humility on the 400yd egg shoot days.

Reply #14
I would not doubt GySgt. Hathcock's kill of a Vietnamese sniper in this fashion (hence the story somewhat re-created in 'Saving Private Ryan'); it was witnessed by his spotter.