News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

Monster Brake on a CM?

Started by sportacus, August 02, 2020, 03:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sportacus

Starting to get a tee-tee case of the butt when I look at production 6.5 CM rifles that have brakes worthy of  a 338 or 50.  What's the deal? Small man syndrome or Rambo complex?  I am stiff necked hillbilly, and when I cruise the manufacturer/wholesaler websites and see the dog-di*k brake on on a rifle chambered in the sweet, mild little 6.5 CM,  the consideration switch for a future purchase goes into the full "He^^ No!" position.  Stirring the pot. ;D 
If you have the shot, take it.

DHuffman

Dave

autoxforfun

It is a bunch of marketing stuff because they look cool.  The Savage Elite Precision I have coming in 6mm CM has a brake......lol

I finally have a rifle that warrants one....338 Lupua Mag.....even with that, I don't like shooting a lot of rounds.  But all of the 6.5 and below don't have a brakes.  Also, they are not very neighbor friendly at the range....I was doing some load development the other week and this guy sits down next to me...and he had a lot of options to sit away from others, but decided to be next to me.  He had this large caliber rifle with a brake that every time he fired, it would blow my hat off and make cars alarms in the parking lot go off.  I had to move since it was so disruptive.  He knew I was pissed and didn't appreciate him next to me.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

sportacus

My friend Jim has a Bergara Wilderness Terrain 300 PRC with brake.  He screwed up a couple of months ago and touched one off at some feral hogs without hearing protection.  Killed the hogs but his ears were ringing for a couple of days.  Mentioned on another thread that the only one I leave the brake on is the wife's 270 WSM.  Recoil is not that bad without it and will work at getting her to shoot it w/o the brake.

gman47564

A brake isnt really necessary for a hunting rifle.. but the rifles i sit down and shoot 70 or 80 rounds in a session they sure are appreciated.. even the 6.5 creedmoor.. yes their loud and obnoxious and not very neighbor friendly but they serve their purpose.. its funny when shooting at game a guy never even feels the recoil in the heat of the moment.. sit down and shoot a 100 rounds.. you will feel that.. lol
Grant

Windsage

I even have a brake on my 6.5 Grendel.  It's cause I'm a wus and I like the rifle to hold still so I can see my impacts.

Denver Steve

Quote from: Windsage on August 03, 2020, 11:07:43 AMI even have a brake on my 6.5 Grendel.  It's cause I'm a wus and I like the rifle to hold still so I can see my impacts.

Pfft. That's nothing. I have a brake on my 17hmr. No brake on my 338 though...

bikemutt

Rifles that come with muzzle brakes, to me. are simply an indicator the muzzle is threaded. That lets me install a thread protector, a suppressor, my own brake, whatever. If it's a 22lr, that's just plain wrong :(
Chris

hambone1971

I guess if your shooting close range and can hit the target easy enough you wouldn't ever need one, no reason. Once I started shooting out past 700 yards and to 1400  I saw a need for one.  There was just enough recoil to kick me out of the scope and I couldn't get back in it fast enough to see where the dirt would fly. I shoot alone lots no spotter here.  Once I put a brake on the old 12 FV I could stay in the scope and see the dirt fly and adjust accordingly, get on poster board and let the camera system help with the rest. Didn't waste so much ammo after that, glad I put it on. HB
As a young man they said your starting out in the machine shop as a Hambone. Here's a broom, scoop and wheel barrel. Those were some fun days.

Westie1

Run a hybrid brake on mine, the VG6 Gamma 6.5. Didn't notice any change in felt recoil after it was installed, but did see less muzzle jump.

bikemutt

I have a brake which was purpose-made for the Steyr Aug bullpup, not a precision rifle by any stretch, but I like cool guns :)

Anyway, this brake is asymmetrical in design and I'll tell you what, it works! I don't know how they came up with the asymmetry but it's awesome on this rifle, the muzzle just stays put.

Some brakes seem real good at controlling jump, some excel at reducing recoil, and other, variants on a linear comp, direct the sound blast forward. I don't know that it's possible to have one brake that does it all.

My shoulder wishes my Marlin 45/70 had a brake :(

Chris

LeadHammer

I dislike huge brakes, my Heathen brake on my Creed is great, I never take it off even for hunting last year, I just put 3M neon ear plugs in. It reduces recoil, lets me spot hits, my 11 year old can shoot it with ease. After I shoot my 270, I wish it had a brake. Dang rifle is too light.

The Marshall

A gunsmith told me a brake can reduce felt recoil by the amount of the cartridge overbore. This raises two questions: How much is felt recoil effected by muscle, padding, and shooting position in addition to how is overbore measured? Of course a 200lb man of reasonable upper body strength is going to take recoil better than a 110lb pre-teenager. Is the overbore of a 300 Weatherby simply the difference in powder capacity compared to a load with the same weight of bullet from a 30-06 Springfield?
I have a braked 280 Rem that is a sweet shooting rifle. I use it for long range plinking as well as hunting. The brake doesn't cut recoil much, but it does make it easier to stay on the scope to see the target far, far away. A brake on. 6.5mm Creedmoor is probably not needed in terms of pure recoil reduction. Someone using it as a long range plinker might think the same thing I did for staying on the scope.
Last but not least, a great hunting buddy put a brake on this 300 Weatherby because of lingering shoulder and neck issues made worse by hard recoil. I have to problem with his move. It's his favorite rifle and the best fix, plus he could put a can on it.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
Every man has got to know his limits.

sportacus

Down here in Louisiana, 35 Whelen break actions are considered "primitive" firearms and can be used legally in the early prim firearms deer season.  A black powder die hard since the early 80's.  54 cal T/C Hawken, 100 grains of Goex FFG, 430 grain Maxi-ball conical and #11 cap.  Killed a lot of NC, GA and AL whitetails with that rig.  Retired, but still have it.  Over the mantle with a powder horn and possibles pouch.  Jumped on the break action bandwagon when I moved back to LA in 2012.  Meh.  Not that accurate, even with good glass.  Recoil is he**acious.  First ammo I tried was Hornady 200 grain SST at 2900 FPS.  Parent case is 30-06. Not a physics major, but when I absorbed those numbers, they did not compute.  Way too hot and wildly inaccurate. When we start hunting prep with the Whelens, after your time at the bench is done, tell the next shooter to step up and take his a++ whipping. Have seen some newer models with a brake but won't commit because of the accuracy issue. Big ammo companies won't do it because of low demand for 35 W.  But, if some enterprising custom reloader would but together a 180 grain cup and core rolling between 2500-2700 FPS, could probably sell all he could build to deer hunters in LA and MS. Nephew and I are going old school (kinda) this season.  In line front loaders with Blackhorn 209, sabots and bullets by Harvester and CCI 209 M primers.  Very accurate and do not require 911 to be preloaded in speed dial on your phone.  Main reasons I always loved archery and black powder hunting;  up close and one opportunity.  Excuse my sentence/paragraph structure.  Wandered around to the conclusion that yep, there are some sticks that need a brake.