News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

6 mm dasher

Started by gman47564, May 04, 2021, 07:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman47564

One thing i have learned about all this is if you do the same thing everyone else is doing you will get the same results as everyone else.. dont get me wrong.. thats not a bad thing usually.. but if we think out of the box we just might hit on a better mouse trap..
Grant

DHuffman

Quote from: gman47564 on May 06, 2021, 03:50:28 PMOne thing i have learned about all this is if you do the same thing everyone else is doing you will get the same results as everyone else.. dont get me wrong.. thats not a bad thing usually.. but if we think out of the box we just might hit on a better mouse trap..

I doubt there's much ground left unplowed on the Dasher anymore.
It's held world records and I bet it has won more 600 & 1000 yard IBS Nationals than any other or possibly all other cartridges combined.

If you read the equipment list from any match there's always a good amount of Dashers.

There's a guy in Bismarck that's won 5 or 6 600 yard nats and probably a few shooter of the year honors with the Dasher. They call him King Richard. That's one guy of many many shooters who've had huge success in sanctioned national competition with it.

That's just BR that I'm aware of. I'm not saying something else won't work but there's a reason the best BR shooters in the world are using what they use.
Dave

jvw2008

Oh by the way - King Richard is responsible for the original development of the cartridge. He put it on the bench at the Colorado Rifle Club for its debut.

gman47564

im sure your right dave... im also sure im not going to be setting any records  with mine...lol but i sure will be happy if i can find something that shoots small with components that a guy can actually find at the moment... because 743,029 other people arent using them.. lol
Grant

autoxforfun

Grant, I am with you a bit in looking for a different path.  I had ordered some Bart's Hammers at the end of last year for use with the Dasher.  I just received an order for Bison Ballistics 103g Claymore Match.  Each of these are more expensive than the blems but about or less than what you would pay for Bergers if you can find them.....< $0.50/bullet.  So trying to stay off the path of most other shooters.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

gman47564

Bob have you measured around on them any yet..
Grant

DHuffman

https://www.6mmbr.com/schatz1000.html

You won't meet a nicer guy than than Richard. When at Deep Creek we'd always meet for breakfast before heading up to the range. I always forget about all the NBRSA matches and records. Many Dasher records and success in that sanction as well.
Dave

autoxforfun

Quote from: gman47564 on May 06, 2021, 05:54:25 PMBob have you measured around on them any yet..

I did a quick measure of 25 units...there were all within a 0.001 spread for BTO, 1.200" +- 0.0015 for OAL and within 0.08 grains on weight.   I will need to run the whole box to verify this will hold for a larger sample.
Bob

gman47564

a little to report on this dasher... i fireformed 30 more rounds this evening... was pretty excited as i shot a 10 shot group that a dime would have covered 9 of them... i thought if my speed was close to what it should be im doing good so far... was pretty dissapointed when i strapped the magneto speed on and had a 5 shot average of 2647... the part that really bothered me was some of the rounds i shot acted like they was pressured up pretty good with a little bit of heavy bolt lift on some... got to checking my fired cases and i cant just drop a bullet down in a fired case... i can push it in there fairly easy but im for sure not getting a clean release... so my next batch of fifty to fire form i turned a half a thousandths off the neck... turned them to .012 they were around .0125.. hope this helps with the heavy bolt lift...
another thing i found with the norma brass i didnt care for is theirs .003 variance in the width of the base on new unfired cases... i would have thought that area would have been much tighter than that...i measured a new case and then measured a fired case at the base and the fired one was smaller.. i thought dang it shrank.. lol.. till i got to measureing more new ones and seen the varaince in them... any way im going to add a grain of powder to these new neck turned cases and see if that gets me a little closer to the speed im after and also see if turning the necks helped the bolt lift any... hope so..
Grant

jvw2008

What is OD on a fire formed neck?

gman47564

the od just a hair below the mouth is .269 jerry  thats on a fired case
Grant

autoxforfun

This is purely hear-say information regarding the Norma brass.  But in talking with some of the Dasher shooters here locally, they were telling me that as you cut the necks down to get the OAL correct, that the brass that is left is thicker and will need to be trimmed.   That is one of the reasons that very few folks are shooting Norma.   I haven't loaded any of the Norma after I trimmed them (just did a few to see how it would go) but I did load some of the Alpha brass and the loaded brass OD was 0.268 which I think is OK but don't think I want to go any more.  In talking to the guys that made my barrel, they agreed that this should work well.
Bob

autoxforfun

Dasher is a unique cartridge.  There seems to be a wide variety of reamers that are used that provide options for free bore as well as neck OD.  PT&G is a very common reamer in use but it seems to have been designed around Lapua brass.  So if you change brass, you may have to trim it to have it work reliably.  Alpha brass got a bad rap for awhile for being too thick and sticking when opening the bolt.  Dasher seems to still be a bit of a wild cat.
Bob

DHuffman

That is slow however I'd resist the urge to step on it until the barrel is settled and the brass is fireformed.

With a grin I'll also add these are the results we sometimes get when we use different components to get different results LOL

With the Norma brass in a Lapua chamber I'm not surprised your getting some random pressure signs. Could be humidity as well, keep a clean chamber mop handy and give the chamber a quick swab every so often. Especially when you start, especially after cleaning.

Bob's comment about the trimming leaving the thicker lower neck seem plausible also.
Dave

gman47564

Bob with some guidance from jerry what your saying is spot on.. i understand that their is 3 different neck sizes in reamers.. .268, .270 and .272.  The reamer used in my barrel has a .270 neck.. a fired case in mine without turning is .269 a loaded case before measures .268.. thats pretty tight in there..
Grant