News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

Nature's Best (pics)

Started by jvw2008, October 11, 2014, 11:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jvw2008

Maybe this will turn into a thread with pics contributed from all over. (hint: Australian, Europe,etc.)

Found this guy 100 yards from my house this morning on my way to work.  He was so engrossed in beating up a poor little plum bush that he really didn't care that my truck was idling his way.  Got this pic from about 40 feet away[media id=393 type=preview align=center caption=" 20141011 090208"].
Colorado front range, 7:30 AM.

quietcanine

Here is one out of my yard (which is in central Virginia)
City Stag by quietcanine, on Flickr
There is strength in truth.

Rob01

Caught this one in the back yard. :D

[media id=394 type=full align=center caption="wild cat"]

jvw2008

Looks like a vicious predator Rob. :).  My barn cat gets so much to eat he shares his bowl with the mice - no joke!

Killick

Nice little shelter in the woods behind my home

[media id=457 type=full align=center caption="photo 6"]
Never take a smile from someones face

jvw2008

Bet a fox and a few coons have hung out in there.  What kind of tree is that?

Killick

Quote from: jvw2008 on November 02, 2014, 07:17:58 PMBet a fox and a few coons have hung out in there.  What kind of tree is that?

Yes I'm sure. We also have fisher cats around here.
 I'm not sure what kinda of tree. That or I forget. I'll take a walk out there soon... oops with the leaves just about gone I might not be able to identify. I see.

Fuzzbuster

On the picture of the tree trunk, it reminds me about 15 years ago I had one of my nanny goats put her two newborns in the far rear end of a tree trunk much like that one on my place, then she stood in front of the tree trunk on guard and backing into the tree trunk to nurse them with her head looking the front side.   I think that is a smart nanny goat and I have never seen that happen again.  The tree later died and it is now gone.  These goats are raised under range conditions with livestock guard dogs and not in a barn yard under human supervision or help. 

Killick

Quote from: Fuzzbuster on November 05, 2014, 07:22:15 AMOn the picture of the tree trunk, it reminds me about 15 years ago I had one of my nanny goats put her two newborns in the far rear end of a tree trunk much like that one on my place, then she stood in front of the tree trunk on guard and backing into the tree trunk to nurse them with her head looking the front side.   I think that is a smart nanny goat and I have never seen that happen again.  The tree later died and it is now gone.  These goats are raised under range conditions with livestock guard dogs and not in a barn yard under human supervision or help.

Very cool Fuzz. Yeah the tree is pretty neat.

jvw2008

This Colorado kitty cat has been hanging around our neighborhood for the past three weeks.  Very unusual since these guys migrate through a huge territory in the search of prey.  Think I read somewhere their average ranging territory is about 1000 square kilometers. Typically they will take a kill, feed on it for 5-7 days and then move on.  This cat was on a kill 200 yards from my house 3 weeks ago.  This game camera picture is from this morning at 5:30.  The camera is set up on an ATV trail 150 yards from my front door.  Needless to say I walk my dogs at night with a pistol.  When this cat is close, they know it and do their nightly business within 10 feet of where I'm standing.  Smart dogs![media id=663 type=preview align=center caption="cat"]
[mergedate]1422029376[/mergedate]
This little boy showed up to service our resident female two nights ago at her request.  She caterwauled for about six hours from 9PM to 2AM almost non-stop.  The withers on this male come to upper mid-thigh on me based on the weed height.  I'm guessing he is 120-130 pounds of raw cat.  Hoping he doesn't stick around too long - I've had to schedule both of my dogs with the psychologist.[media id=704 type=preview align=center caption="First Covert 019 (2)"]

Trent

Holy crap!! Do you ever get that feeling that something is watching you when you're out and about?

jvw2008

Yes Trent I do once and awhile, but my dog is a pretty good sentinel and I always carry a pistol.  These cats are VERY aloof, hunt mainly at sunrise or sunset, and lay up during the day.  Usually if you're fortunate enough to see them during the day they are coming off feeding on a kill or a pack of dogs is pushing them.

The only reason they have been so active around my place recently is because of the number of mule deer we have.  It's like King Soopers for them.

JV

txaggie

great photo - always wanted me a kitty! Read this story back late last year, kind of makes you think about that are you being watched statement?

http://cbs7.com/multimedia/article_d2387758-7b6e-11e4-9de7-dfdf9e9bf8e1.html

I use to work with a bunch of guys who would travel to Colorado or New Mexico hunting elk and hear the stories about packing out quartered meat. I remember teasing them about the fact that they are dragging bait? :)

I can't imagine being in this fathers shoes,

basshawg42

that's a cool story !! SCARY

Fuzzbuster

I read the story on the 12 year old girl (Odessa Texas ) that shot the mountain lion in New Mexico.  Seems harsh that the game wardens did not let her keep the dead mountain lion in order to have it mounted on the wall of her family home.  Any one can see the mountain lion was coming after her for its dinner,  least she could of had it on her wall.  Those kind of laws just don't seem fair.