Skip to main content
Topic: Nature's Best (pics) (Read 14303 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Nature's Best (pics)

Reply #45

Had a little electrical excitement at our place a few days back.  Sound like a sonic boom when it struck at 3 AM.

Reply #46
Wow that is crazy.

Reply #47
We were very fortunate. The thunderstorm that generated this strike was a mixed rain-snow combo. Ground was wet and cold so the fire didn't spread into the adjacent forested mountain.

Reply #48

Had a little electrical excitement at our place a few days back.  Sound like a sonic boom when it struck at 3 AM.
Looks like you figured out the posting issue Jerry. What was it?

I would've put my forehead thru the sheetrock above the bed when that thunder clapped! How far from the house did it hit??
RIP Chris Cornell

Reply #49
It hit about 200 yds from the house but I didn't understand how close it was til I got up in the morning.

Reply #50
Well it's officially spring in Fort Collins, CO!  This is George. He lives at my place under some boulders at the side of the house. He's been with us for five years now and usually makes his appearance when the snows are done.

When he holds still long enough you can get a pretty good idea of his length. He just came out today and was moving REAL slow. Looks like about 5 foot 4 inches this year. He's hell on baby rabbits and we have a bunch so if one of our golden eagles doesn't get him this year he might get to six feet.  I love having this bull snake around because they are a major deterrent to the rattle snake population.

Reply #51
Did a little early scouting for my mountain goat hunt in the northernmost unit of Idaho this past weekend.  Came back with a couple cool pics to share. 

Reply #52
Awesome pics Maverick!  Looks like they are just sitting waiting for you😊. That terrain looks vicious - have you started conditioning training yet?

Reply #53
Awesome pics Maverick!  Looks like they are just sitting waiting for you😊. That terrain looks vicious - have you started conditioning training yet?

Yeah, it's a bit steep.  (On my drive in, I was trying to scan the mountainsides in open spots while staying on the road, and found it easiest to open the sunroof on my pickup and look up/out the sunroof at the slopes rather than crane my head/neck to the side enough to look up and out.  As for conditioning, I'm not in too bad of shape starting out (I spend a fair amount of time working outdoors in similar terrain at similar elevation) but will need to ramp things up a bit.  Hope to get out at into the goat country least once a week scouting now thru the start of the season.

Reply #54
jvw,

Are you sure those deer haven't seen your shooting and are therefore unafraid?  ;D

Eric B.
"I can stop buying guns and gun stuff anytime I want - I've done it hundreds of times."

Reply #55
jvw,

Are you sure those deer haven't seen your shooting and are therefore unafraid?  ;D

Eric B.

Eric you are probably correct! I haven't taken a deer off my property for about 15 years so there are probably two generations who just don't correlate a rifle report with sudden death. Several weeks back this little guy decided to rest up just off the edge of my patio. That's one of my shooting benches in the background. 😊

Reply #56
Here's a view I don't come across very often...

Reply #57
Went out to our range today and had a visitor.  He walked straight up the middle of the range until he spotted us then made for the tree.

Reply #58
Chaz that looks like a monitor lizard. That's cool to see - don't have any of those buggers in the states. Since he saw you and took off I'm guessing they are not aggressive? I think I've heard their mouth is full of some really infectious bacteria.

Reply #59
He's a goanna, they are not aggressive but can be quite dangerous if you mess with them. You don't see them very often especially out in the open like he was .