Skip to main content
Topic: Latest projects (Read 847 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Latest projects

Reply #30
Randy I’m tickled to hear about your recent projects! Tells me you have both adapted and recovered a lot from where you were physically - when you first got out of the hospital. That is super and I’m real happy for you.

Reply #31
Thanks Jerry, not to out do myself but this morning I put a barrel on one of the actions and screwed up again! I replaced tThe screw I removed yesterday was 6-32 with an 8-40 from e xtra parts bin. I proceeded to strip the new screw. I certainly make a piss poor smith. On my way now to the hardware store to see if I can find those small taps and some screws. I should have bought those taps years ago, t hey would come in handy very often.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #32
Well after fiddling with the old shooting Chrony dilemma for a couple of days, I built a stand for it out of 2x6s and 1/2 plywood.kind of heavy. I put it on the little 4 wheel wagon that we haul plants in and out of the garage in the frosty springtime . I drug it out in front of the shooting bench and set it up and leveled it.
Later when I brought the Chrony and rest of the gear out I soon noticed I set it up backwards to where i slide in the chrony! First gpu of the project.
Then slid the 6.5 creed on the bags and couldn't see through the scope.
I thought my eyes went dark again. Turns out during the muscle barrels and scopes game I got it together wrong.f-up#2....tjen it was the 6.5 Bob's turn went to line up on the target and the crosshairs sat at 45°! #3!!lol those silly Warne rings with the key that fits the notch in the bases...worst rings I've ever had to set up. If i had a machine shop I'd be redesigning the clamp that tightens on the base dovetails. You need to have all 4 screws on each ring loose to slide the clamp on, at that point the other night I must have twisted the scope barrel in the rings! After two trips back to the house for tools I ended up going a third time for a cleaning rod, yup another ftf.
I tried both rifles in the house by snapping live primers in a sized case. Turns out the headspace on both rifles was on the loose side and I believe the firing pin was pushing the case forward. Also found primers set .001 to .002 deep. I am thinking my primer seating problem has come from trouble I've been having getting them to start correctly. I've checked the primer arm and pin on my press thinking it was tilting the primers somewhat. I ended up chambering the pockets just a smidgen thinking a taper start would start them easier. A lot of my brass has been doing it, that's what make me think it was the primer arm method. Every decapped primer has a loose anvil, which I haven't noticed till the difficult priming started about a year ago
After doing everything back asswards today's session showed no readings on the chronogragh! The 6.5/257 Bob did fire about 1/2 of what I tried on ot? But also test fired in the shop ok too.
I've got 2 more 6.5 creed to try with the ammo I loaded last night.
If they shoot as good as they did last year, they will get the nod for the wyoming trip.
I also want to try a couple of loads in the 6
5 '06 before i leave also. I hope the magneto speed gets here the first part of the week.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #33
Today's disaster, put on a 243 barrel I had on the 6.5 Bob and took two shots out the garage door. Split the muzzle break wide open! Seems the threaded portion of barrel is off kilter?? F-up threading. Not factory, more like sand lot gunsmithing.
I put another break on and it lines up concentric now.
The break that split could have had bad threads internally.
AND brand stainless for 6.8 caliber. Recently i bought a couple of cheats off clean at and their threads were too large, actually slip right over the threads on some of my barrels.
Lessons learned lately "haste makes waste" andif its cheap it hets you nowhere.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #34
I know i dont have to tell you this randy but be careful man.. these things can come unglued and do serious harm to ya.. check and recheck everything thing before you send one down the tube..
Grant

Reply #35
Grant I used the same break yesterday on a 6.5 barrel, it may have started then and cracked the last section. The 243 should have cleared it easily as the hole in the end was about. 375. Hopefully the 30 caliber brake I put on it will have lots of clearance.
The report and back blast was ear ringing!
People may ask why a brake on a 243. I expected little recoil and it's the lightest barrel I have.
I also loaded up some 130 Bergers for my 25-06 this morning.
I hope to shoot both of them tomorrow, as my projects this week are stacking up.
I have to remove the rear seat in my silverado and get the small freezer in there this week. I also want to shoot two more of the creedmoors.
When i get back from Wyoming I hope to do some scouting/recon in Wisconsin and also here in mn.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #36
Randy what part of Wyoming will your hunt be in?

Reply #37
Nort central near buffalo west of gillette
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #38
That’s a good ways away from me. I really like the country around Buffalo with the Big Horn Range just to the west of town. Buffalo Wyo is the town that was used as a model for the town in the tv series called Longmire. The author of those books, Chris Johnson, lives in Buffalo. If you have time, run into town and take 20 minutes to explore the hotel called the Occidental. It’s been there since the late 1800s and is still operational. Great little bar there and the hotel is jam packed full of antiques.  They use antelope hides for rugs in the rooms. If you want a great breakfast, the Busy Bee Cafe is right next door to the Occidental.

Reply #39
There also is a real neat sports shop on the main drag in town.
An old building for sure with stamped tin ceilings.
It's full of taxidermy; elk, deer & lopes. Very inspiring place to go before a hunt.
I also love that town and considered it as a retirement residence.
Searched realty sites online for the buffalo area.
Actually drove through town with my wife on the way back from California several years back.the western states did not impress her because of the heat, dry weather and brown grass that year.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #40
Yep not a lot of trees if you aren’t in the mountains.

Reply #41
I've also searched on the other side of the big horns near ten sleep and worland.
I really don't want to be in the trees. Right now I am surrounded by red pines here in MN and don't care for all the pine needles.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #42
Randy up in the area you are talking about hunting there are a fair number of mustang herds free ranging. Have you ever seen them?

Reply #43
Randy up in the area you are talking about hunting there are a fair number of mustang herds free ranging. Have you ever seen them?
South West of Casper during a deer hunt by
Jeffrey city we saw a herd of wild horses on green mountain.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #44
They are impressive.