News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

shell holders

Started by bongo, November 21, 2020, 06:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bongo

Hi a quick question . Does it matter what number shell holder you use for the press , as long as the case fits into it . ie my RCBS dies says use a number 3 and the LEE i have says a 2 , But the cases fit into both .

Wanting to use the RCBS I travelled a fair distance to go and get a number 3 as per the RCBS box thinking that LEE + RCBS use different numbers for the same calibre , in this instance 6.5cm , Only to be given a Hornady number 2  by the gun shop owner , He said  it was the correct holder .

autoxforfun

I use a number 2 shell holder for all 0.473" bases...which is correct for the CM.  I don't remember what brand of shell holder I have (I think both Lee and Redding) but they all say #2).  You should be good.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

gman47564

Same here.. a number 2 for all my .473 size case heads.. all mine are lee shell holders.. keep in mind the deck height may vary between different shell holders even within the same brand..
Grant

Roaneman

I believe the Hornady shell holder is #1 and the Lee is #2 for 6.5 Creedmoor.  They are different heights however. 

Roaneman

jvw2008

https://www.grafs.com/uploads/technical-resource-pdf-file/15.pdf

You can print this out. I keep a copy in my reloading room for occasional reference.

jvw2008

Usually a good idea to use the brand of shell holder that matches your press manufacturer. Unless you are using a Forster COAX. ????

bongo

Will do thanks everyone , i have a LEE press and shell holders apart from the No 2 hornady i was given to use , its still packaged so i know which one it is .
And thanks for the link i will get it printed .

LeadHammer

I try to use the exact shell holder as well. I write on them with a sharpie. For example, my RCBS hand primer has a different shell holder than the one in the Rockchucker. ( both RCBS )  I use the Redding comp ones to bump, and back to the marked RCBS one for the Lee Collet and Forster seater.

Mark611

JMO, I have seen some different ideas on how a shell holder should fit into the ram, if ur using a Turret or single stage set up for example? I watched a guy remove the clip from the ram and replace it with a rubber O ring, this allows the shell holder to free float a little, in turn this allows the case to self center itself and not be crowded by the force of being in a fixed fixture, I have been trying this on my presses and it works well!!! has anyone else tried this? 8)