News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

6bra

Started by Regnar, June 03, 2019, 07:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Regnar

Shipping tomorrow

The only thing better than me spending my own money, is my friends spending it for me

DHuffman

Cool!

One thing you might want to consider is a fireform barrel. The round count adds up pretty quick!
Dave

rardoin

Quote from: HufD63 on June 19, 2019, 11:26:37 AMCool!

One thing you might want to consider is a fireform barrel. The round count adds up pretty quick!

Yes...good idea.  I bought a shot out 6.5mm barrel for my 6.5 x55 BJAI and had the barrel cut to 20" and chambered to the same headspace as my 'good' barrel.  He chambered all my barrels for a 0.003-4" crush fit at the neck shoulder junction so I did not have to hard jam bullets or false shoulder the neck.  I used a FF barrel for the first 300 cases then I realized that FF loads shot almost as good as the formed cases so I shot my FF brass in local monthly matches.  I have many cleans shot while shooting FF loads so you may find that in the 6 BRA too.  But, I would still get a FF barrel spun up so you can get started with proper load development on fired cases then, if you find the same as I did ( the match loads were only slightly off from the FF loads ) , you can shoot a slight variation of that load to FF cases while shooting small/'fun' matches.

Robin

DHuffman

FF loads in the 6 BRA are crazy accurate. 100 - 600 yards is as far out as I've taken them though but I would bet they are good farther out as well just more come up. If I were shooting local mid range matches I'd be fireforming there.
Dave

Tyarnall

That is a real looker. Makes me think about having one built.

Regnar

First rounds down the barrel.  I shot 20 last night of factory 6br just to shoot a few, get it sighted in and clean the barrel a few times.

I went home and loaded up an ocw test  .020 off tge lands on some fire formed brass from another rifle and shot it this morning.  Not the best conditions, pretty hard l to r wind and a couple ak guys banging away right next to me.

Velocity was a little slower than I expected but numbers and groups were excellent.  All the flyers way out were me.  Most of them were a flinch from the ak right next to me.  I ran it up to 31gr of h4895 and had zero pressure signs.  I am going to re shoot it tomorrow with the brass I shot today.  I will run 5 each at 30.4, 30.5 and 30.6.  Then I will shoot some 5 shot groups at 600 of each charge.  After I decided on what charge,  I will play with tbe seating depth but I believe im in the sweet spot now.  If all goes well, ill tru my kestrel some time during the week at 1k and the shoot it sunday in a match.
The only thing better than me spending my own money, is my friends spending it for me

DHuffman

30.6 or 31.0 is supposed to be the spot with H 4895. With that being said some of the newer lots are fast. I'm thinking probably not yours or you would be pressuring up.

If I were you I would get 100 pieces of new 6 BR brass and load 29.5 g and fire form those cases. I would clean at 30, 60 & 100 rounds and I would explore seating depth during this ff session. By the time you shoot these your barrel should be settled and you should know what seating depth it really likes.

FF loads are crazy accurate in the BRA

I don't like to get serious about load development without 150 rounds on the tube.
Dave

DHuffman

I would also get a second barrel spun up sooner than later. If this barrel turns out to be a hummer you won't want to waste anymore of it fireforming. If it's just a barrel maybe the second tube will be the hummer and you'll want to save it. It's nice to have options.

I've made this mistake twice now and won't again. I've got a new tube in the works for the Borden and I have 2 tubes in each caliber for the Panda.
Dave

Regnar

Quote from: HufD63 on June 22, 2019, 04:00:27 PMI would also get a second barrel spun up sooner than later. If this barrel turns out to be a hummer you won't want to waste anymore of it fireforming. If it's just a barrel maybe the second tube will be the hummer and you'll want to save it. It's nice to have options.

I've made this mistake twice now and won't again. I've got a new tube in the works for the Borden and I have 2 tubes in each caliber for the Panda.
Im going to order another one next week.

Regnar

Fot just over 100 rounds down the pipe.  Barrel settling in.  Based on history with this barrel from the smith, I know what are I need to be in but wantes to make the first 100 rounds productive.  I am going to shoot tomorrow at 600 dope it with mv and then fri at 1000 to sope it with bc.  Then shoot it Sunday.

Did a Seating depth test yesterday.  It shot real well feom .010 to .050. Like the smith said.  What he did and I am going to do is start at .020 and and not touch it for 1500 rounds.   On his rifle he was at .015 erosions and stil shooting lights out.  He pulls his barrel at 1500 but thinks he can get 2000 easy and perhaps 2500 with out having to adjust his load.

DHuffman

Not sure what bullet you're using but don't be afraid to try jamming it in that .005 -.010 range.
Dave

jvw2008

Quote from: HufD63 on June 26, 2019, 03:15:40 PMNot sure what bullet you're using but don't be afraid to try jamming it in that .005 -.010 range.

Good advice.

Regnar

Quote from: HufD63 on June 26, 2019, 03:15:40 PMNot sure what bullet you're using but don't be afraid to try jamming it in that .005 -.010 range.

Not intrested in that.  1st, My experience is that thecthroat goes a bit quicker when jamming.  I am tring to get maximum round count on this barrel.  2nd, This is a prs rifle.  I do not want to take a chance of a bulket getting ledtvin the barrel if I have to eject a round (happens a lot)

It is magazine fed.   Not a lot of room in a br mag.

I am dropping a lot of my procedures I use for my fclass reloading (its very hard to let go!!)  You simply dont need the same level of accuracy.  Some of the top guys are shooting noting better thsn .5 moa loads.

For my intended use, this accuracy and the liad development I have done is more than most. 

DHuffman

Valid concerns however if anyone is pulling a bullet on a .005 - .010 jam they need to be looking at their lack of neck tension. Not saying it can't happen but something is wrong if it does. If your neck tension is too loose you will likely keep seating the bullet upon chambering until you start crushing powder then I suppose the powder would push it farther into the lands sticking the bullet.

I regularly measure my distance to lands using the Wheeler method. I use a cases that I got the neck a hair too thin and put lube on the bullet so I can keep seating it .001 - .002 deeper into the case so I can find "touch" then "off" the rifling.

You start out seated long and chamber the round and close the bolt and seating the bullet deeper yet getting a hard jam then work in from there. I've yet to pull a bullet @ hard jam using a loose neck case with lube. I did see a very experienced shooter pull a bullet on the line at Deep Creek recently though so it can happen. 
Dave

Regnar

Shot it on paper today at 600.  Dialed 3.2 mils (sterlock,  ab and the kesterl all gave me the same number and that does not happen often.  Velocity of 2948 and everything else loaded from the database.

I shot a 10 shot string with zero adjustments.  I held right of center x.  Wind was 5mph r to left with some mirage.  I used same hold for 10 shots.

Very happy with the waterline.   Tomorrow or sat I will true it at 1k.

30.7 gr h4895
105 Berger hybrid
.020 otl
.002 neck tension.

Shot off an atlas bi pod and rear squeeze bag.