News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Ruger American 6.5 Creedmoor, Muzzle Break Recommendation

Started by done111, May 27, 2015, 09:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

done111

Loving the 6.5 creedmoor! The Ruger American Predator has a little more kick than I expected, I believe due to the lightweight stock. I'm considering putting a muzzle break on it. What are some good ones out there that don't break the bank. I see some that are bored for 223 and 308, but I'm hoping to get one specifically for the 6.5 mm bullet.

Thanks for your help,
Don

Danbonzo

Define "break the bank". What's the max $ you are willing to drop?
On my sticks, APA or Surefire.
RIP Chris Cornell

Philbie

I've had my gunsmith fabricate 3 of them for various toys, 2 of which were Creeds.  Best $175/rifle I've spent.  Trigger work a very close second.
Tell me about the rabbits George, tell me about the rabbits.......

swampthang

THE ABSOLUTE BEST AT REDUCING FELT RECOIL IS A LITTLE BASTARD, IT WILL MAKE THE CREEDMOOR KICK LIKE A 22-250
THE BEST BRAKE FOR THE MONEY THAT ALMOST EVERY 1000K YD BENCHREST SHOOTER USES IS A HARRELLS
 THEY ARE 35.00 I HAVE ONE FOR MY 300 WSM HEAVY GUN BUT ON MY M-40 300WSM TACTICAL BUILD I HAVE THE LITTLE BASTARD- SHOOTING A 185 VLD SEEMS LIKE A 308 AND IT WILL DEFINATLEY HELP WHEN I GO TO THE 210 BERGERS LATER THIS SUMMER.
 VERY HI MARKS FOR BOTH OF THESE BRAKES .
"kill em all"

Danbonzo

Quote from: swampthang on May 28, 2015, 05:29:29 AMTHE ABSOLUTE BEST AT REDUCING FELT RECOIL IS A LITTLE BASTARD, IT WILL MAKE THE CREEDMOOR KICK LIKE A 22-250
THE BEST BRAKE FOR THE MONEY THAT ALMOST EVERY 1000K YD BENCHREST SHOOTER USES IS A HARRELLS
 THEY ARE 35.00 I HAVE ONE FOR MY 300 WSM HEAVY GUN BUT ON MY M-40 300WSM TACTICAL BUILD I HAVE THE LITTLE BASTARD- SHOOTING A 185 VLD SEEMS LIKE A 308 AND IT WILL DEFINATLEY HELP WHEN I GO TO THE 210 BERGERS LATER THIS SUMMER.
Tony, WHY ARE YOU YELLING? lmao!
RIP Chris Cornell

MZ5

I had a local machine shop bore my brake to my specs. It's a Badger Ordnance Thruster, and is _very_ effective. There's another one out that looks very like the Thruster, but with additional holes straight up out the top, for even better muzzle rise braking.  It is a JEC. The JEC is available specifically for 26-cals, so it ought to do well. Several people in my precision rifle club use them.

If I were getting another, I'd go with another Thruster, or a JEC, and I'd have my machine shop bore it to my specs.

I have/had other brakes, too. Many are made very well, but I find that all are more effective when bored 'tight,' meaning very close to bullet diameter. The trade-off is that everything MUST be straight and concentric, else you're going to have a nasty and perhaps expensive 'incident.' My Badger is presently on a Lothar-Walther barrel which I know to be straight and true, and I know the same of the muzzle threading job.

I can only guess that the JEC brakes are bored to slightly more forgiving specs, and so may be a very good choice for factory rifles & threads. Call 'em and ask?

chas3stix

NRA Patron Life Member

Cold Trigger Finger

I have had lots of different muzzle breaks on different rides.  McGowan,  Fowler, KDF ect.  And have an integral brake on my 9.3x64 . I will be getting the Harrell's from the endorsements I've read,  why spend more.  Slotted brake with holes in the top.  I don't want any ports in the bottom.of a brake.  Kick up a bunch of snow so it can drift back and cover the objective lense .
 For 35 buck plus installation its a great deal.
 I wouldn't go too crazy about getting it too exact. Rob01 uses a 308 brake on his Creed and reports it still works very good. 
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

garyrapp55

Light recoil is 1 thing that drew me to the Creedmoor, does it really need a brake, or do you want it for visual effect?

eas1949

Gary,

I don't think personally that the Creedmoor needs a brake for recoil purposes.  However to keep the scope on target after firing it may be helpful; for follow up shots.

Eric
NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

sportacus

Don,
I am extremely jealous.  I have had the same rifle on order since October 2014 and don't know if I will ever put my hands on it.  Let us know how she shoots so I can enjoy sleepless nights suffering over what might have been.  Thanks
If you have the shot, take it.

done111

I would like to try the Harrell's. Not much money in it to see if I like it. I assume I would want one that pushes out the sides, to keep dirt from kicking up? Does anyone know what works good for a Creedmoor, they have a list a mile long?

Aussie65

Quote from: eas1949 on May 28, 2015, 04:00:25 PMGary,

I don't think personally that the Creedmoor needs a brake for recoil purposes.  However to keep the scope on target after firing it may be helpful; for follow up shots.

Eric
The only reason you need one with a Creed IMO. Even with my heavy MTU barrel it moves off target. I am going to try shooting more off a bull bag before I try a brake , seems less jumpy than on the bipod.
Don't look down on people unless you're helping them up.

swampthang

Quote from: Danbonzo on May 28, 2015, 06:31:05 AM
Quote from: swampthang on May 28, 2015, 05:29:29 AMTHE ABSOLUTE BEST AT REDUCING FELT RECOIL IS A LITTLE BASTARD, IT WILL MAKE THE CREEDMOOR KICK LIKE A 22-250
hahaha, i was nt yelling, i was too lazy to take the caps off on computer. sorry !! didnt mean to seem so "LOUD" - but the little bastard brakes do work better than you could expect. if i could use them in i.b.s. i would but no "fish gill" style brakes allowed , they must have holes all the way around it to be legal, thats why we all use harrells brakes on bench rest guns.
"kill em all"

Danbonzo

Quote from: swampthang on May 30, 2015, 04:45:08 AM
Quote from: Danbonzo on May 28, 2015, 06:31:05 AM
hahaha, i was nt yelling, i was too lazy to take the caps off on computer. sorry !! didnt mean to seem so "LOUD" - but the little bastard brakes do work better than you could expect. if i could use them in i.b.s. i would but no "fish gill" style brakes allowed , they must have holes all the way around it to be legal, thats why we all use harrells brakes on bench rest guns.
I know you were'nt just thought it amusing. :D

I am going with the APA LB Gen2 on my current  build now because of the reviews I've read when researching components. I like the idea of having the ability to easily remove and reset the brake for cleaning purposes. (I'm a nut like that)

Another point I'd like to add about brakes...
Many tout it's really not necessary  on the 6.5 etc.
well if it was just me shooting my rigs I could agree as it's not going to kick my ass and I could easily manage the recoil. But it would suck MOST of the joy out of "shooting with daddy" for my 9 yr old son. With the confidence he has attained by being able to sink into the rifle, maintain trigger control by not flinching, he is absolutely lethal out to 500yds on steel. No shit, I wouldn't want him shooting at me, kid never misses. I run brakes because I feel it marries me to the platform just that much more to aid my ability to shoot accurately, consistently, not cause I need one, cause I choose one.
RIP Chris Cornell