Suggestion on ballistic app

Started by bowman3899, March 13, 2015, 08:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowman3899

I would say the advantage to have ballistics for different rifles would be the biggest one.
I am Appalachian American

Rooks

SAC, ARC, SAP, Hawk Hill, Timney, MPA
Team SAC www.shortactioncustoms.com

Darkker

Another vote for Sean Kennedy's "Shooter".
Bullet info also comes from Litz and his tests.
Pick your conditions, do you want coriolis effect or not, do you want spin drift or not, etc.  You can also plug your kestrel into it. Then chose your turret adjustment value and go to work.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

audredger

Your turret is only accurate with that load, at a certain density altitude.  Change the temperature, altitude, humidity or barometric pressure and you have changed the density altitude. The ballistic app can correct for changes in all that and spin drift and, Coriolis effect too. Give it wind speed and direction and it has a solution for that!

I love my AB Ballistics Program ;D

Mike
It's time for 51

dadajack

Quote from: Cold Trigger Finger on March 13, 2015, 08:37:07 PMSo far all I have is a mildot calculator on my fon.  And a range finder that uses the camera and height of target. 
 But no ballistic app yet.

What is this rangefinder app? That sounds awesome! I don't always have my laser rangefinder with me, so this would be amazing. Does it work well?
[mergedate]1426693995[/mergedate]
I use Strelok on my phone, but Shooter on the iPad. I see them as equals, and find Strelok as superior for smartphone use due to the simplicity of the interface. You can have multiple guns with multiple loads for each in the free version, and specify different reticles, environmental conditions, etc... I just use it for quick and dirty holdovers and then fine tune once I see where the bullets are actually landing at range. I'll either adjust my holdover and Kentucky windage, or dial in dope if I'm not swapping between different ranges a bunch. Free is always good, and that makes a good free app great.
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
I have a lot of guns... There, I said it.

bowman3899

I did a google search, all I found for range finder got bad reviews. I guess we will have to wait on ctf to chime in.
I am Appalachian American

blt65

Quote from: swampthang on March 18, 2015, 04:01:15 AMvery nice, but i have what may be a dumb question.
 a ballistic app of any kind that works is great but - on my 300 wsm tactical rifle i topped it with a leupold vx3 with the c.d.s. system and have a turret built from leupold with some really accurate information and all i have to do is range it -dial it and kill it. its ACCURATE i know out to 1070 yards, thats as far as i can turn the dial- one shot hits every time.
question is, using this set up what else is anybody looking for ?  the only down fall is this turret is set for this load on this rifle, if i want to move it to my wifes 308 i'd have to get another turret  for it but that seems simple. just asking.
More then one way to skin a cat.  I see two advantages for an app over custom turrets.  One is price.  I can get a free version of Strelok and do a little inputting and get accurate results.  I am not sure how much those custom turrets cost  but being they are from Leupold I am sure they cost more then a free app.  Secondly  here in Arizona I can drive 30 minutes and drop or gain 4000 feet in elevation.  When I am up in Ashfort the elevation is around 6000 feet, or when I am down in Phoenix I am at 1700 feet.  So fixed turrets would not work here in Arizona.  Even on a elk hunt your elevation can change drastically, enough for a miss for sure.  A good example at 1000 yards and sea level you would need 7.4 mils with a 200 gr. SMK, here at my elevation you would only need 6.6.  That is .8 of a mils or a 29 inch miss.  Having said that, if your situation works for your circumstances...like I said, more then one way to skin a cat.

velvetant

Where did you get the free version of Strelok?
I looked for my eyephone and both the standard and pro version cost money.

dadajack

Quote from: velvetant on March 18, 2015, 12:32:11 PMWhere did you get the free version of Strelok?

You need an android apparently.
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
I have a lot of guns... There, I said it.

blt65

Quote from: velvetant on March 18, 2015, 12:32:11 PMWhere did you get the free version of Strelok?
Stupid Apple.  I just looked and there still is a free version for the Android.  It is worth the couple of bucks if you need to buy it.

velvetant

Ya but when my contract is up I'm getting rid of my Eyephone and getting an Android

sirgilligan

I wrote Gun Log for iOS and wrote the ballistics calculator. All ballistics calculators are estimating the flight path. Out to 300 yards most any calculator will be within 0.1". I have compared my calculator to Shooter and several others on line.

I bought Shooter for comparison and like it.

You can see my comparisons here:

http://gunappreviews.blogspot.com/2014/06/external-ballistics-calculations.html

Danbonzo

I just bought Ballistic Advanced Edition and I like it. Spot on. Do you use JBM?
RIP Chris Cornell

eas1949

I have the "Shooter" app and it is easy to use .  I would recommend it.
NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

Jackson6.5

StrelokPro is good, very tunable and detailed.  I compare Applied Ballistics, shooter, and strelock when I do a workup for a firing solution, they are usually close.  Then fine tune it when I'm in the field.