News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

Suggestion on ballistic app

Started by bowman3899, March 13, 2015, 08:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowman3899

Any suggestions on a ballistic app for a phone. Pros, cons, ease of use. I have a droid and seen many apps for ballistics, some free, some get expensive. I don't mind paying for 1 but I would like to hear first hand experience before i buy one.
I am Appalachian American

eas1949

NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

K-Twelve

Best app i've seen for droid is Strelok, what makes it better is that its free, and works as good as my friends paid for app. 

exsimguy1

Quote from: eas1949 on March 13, 2015, 08:07:12 PMI have "Shooter".  $9.95 and it works good

Eric
http://www.shooterapp.net/

+(bunches). Me too. Dial in with 100 yd zero, and 8000-10000Ft of changes in DA. It works well.

Terry

bowman3899

I've looked at strelok how easy is it to use? I like the free part( yes I know I a titewad). The shooter app, is it easier than strelok?

audredger

Applied Ballistics is tops for me
It's time for 51

Cold Trigger Finger

So far all I have is a mildot calculator on my fon.  And a range finder that uses the camera and height of target. 
 But no ballistic app yet.
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

rockytoprj

Another vote for strelock. You can always upgrade to the paid version later.

Philbie

Strelok here also.  Not sure if the other apps offer a wide range of scopes and reticles but it's interesting to vary your zero range to get the lines/dots to come out on easy to remember yardages.

For example an odd zero yardage like 227yrd might bring the marks to 350, 450, 525, 575, ect.......

Then it has some crazy stuff that's above my 3rd grade ejumicain level.
Tell me about the rabbits George, tell me about the rabbits.......

MZ5

My shooting places are either within some form of cellular coverage, or I can plan ahead enough before I leave coverage.  With that in mind, jbmballistics.com is easily the best and most up to date all the time.  Plus, it's no-charge.

If I'm going to be planning ahead anyway, I like QuickTARGET Unlimited the best for pre-printing a trajectory table.  It'll use whatever drag model you have/use, including:
G1
G2
G5
G6
G7
G8
GL
GS (9/16" SAAMI)
GS (Don Miller)
RA4
Soviet 1943, or
Brit 1909

That enough for ya?  ;-)

It'll also let you put up to 6 different BCs in, with velocity breaks between them.  The down-side to it is you have to buy QuickLOAD to get it (at least I don't think it's available separately).  If you do, though, it'll import all your firing data from QL if you want, and of course you can specify _everything_ about the gun, target, sights, and environmental conditions.  It's really, truly and outstanding calculator.

eas1949

[media id=825 type=full align=center caption="Dang ballistic calculations!!"]
NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

bowman3899

I got the free strelok app and played a lil with it today so far I like it. It doesn't have my particular scope but it does have similar mildot reticle. I checked the pay version and my scope was not listed there either. I really got it for the dope adjustment anyway. I will see how close it is maybe next time I get to go to the range.

swampthang

i have had good usage out of the berger and hornady app for my droid phone.  i use both from time to time.
 never had anything else so i cant say whats better, both do what i need it to so im good.
"kill em all"

Danbonzo

I think I'm gonna drop the $30 and get the applied ballistics app. Here's a tutorial from the man himself Brian Litz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBZnjFxg9JQ#ws
RIP Chris Cornell

swampthang

very nice, but i have what may be a dumb question.
 a ballistic app of any kind that works is great but - on my 300 wsm tactical rifle i topped it with a leupold vx3 with the c.d.s. system and have a turret built from leupold with some really accurate information and all i have to do is range it -dial it and kill it. its ACCURATE i know out to 1070 yards, thats as far as i can turn the dial- one shot hits every time.
question is, using this set up what else is anybody looking for ?  the only down fall is this turret is set for this load on this rifle, if i want to move it to my wifes 308 i'd have to get another turret  for it but that seems simple. just asking.
"kill em all"