News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

DIY Headspace Case Gauge

Started by thekskid, September 24, 2010, 04:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thekskid

http://www.amazon.com/Hornady-Lock-Load-Headspace-Gauge/dp/B000PD5VN8

I bought the set above from hornady after I had came up with using a spent 9mm case. I have been using the case just fine but figured since I was gander and they had the set on clearance I would get it. I came home today and checked and I got the same measurement using a spend 9mm case over a 6.5 creedmoor case. I will be reloading for other calibers later so the set was a good buy but however those people wanted to check the head space on a 6.5 creedmoor case new, fired and resized could do so with a spent 9mm case which is free at any range! it just so happens I switched from a 40 to a 9mm some time ago so I had plenty of spent cases. I'm betting you could do this with other calibers with the same 9mm or a 40 cal etc case but since after tax gander had the set for less than midwayusa and I wanted to see if it was the same.  I got a paper weight right now since the 9mm case is actually faster and easier to use oh well another tool in the box right.

bseibert

I use a 1/2" inch deep well socket with a little rolled up note paper in the socket to take up the slop of the cartridge. Works on the same premise as the spent brass. I compare the fired 6.5CM case to a full sized one and then use a shim to get the Datum shoulder too within+ or - .001". Preferably -.001" but if it's .001" over it will still crush fine in the chamber.