News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

New Savage Lightweight Hunter 6.5CM

Started by mnmgri4, August 30, 2012, 01:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnmgri4

Just ordered my new Savage Mod 11 Lightweight hunter in 6.5 CM and it should be here next week !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Can't wait to see it, already have all my reloading stuff waiting for it. Should make an awesome Michigan deer rifle for both trestands and box blinds and with it only weighing 5.5lbs. should be a pleasure to carry around. ;D

swampthang

NOT MUCH OF A SAVAGE GUY,ALTHOUGH THEY ARE VERY GOOD RIFLES NOW. ABD NOT THROWING OFF ON THEM AT ALL. BUT I WAS AT AT READE SHOW IN ATLANTA AND SAVAGER HAD A HUGE DISPLAY. IS YOURS THE WOOD STOCK, SPIRAL FLUTED ONE? IF SO ITS A GREAT LOOKING AND FEELING HUNTING RIFLE. THEY HAVE DEFINATLEY CAME ALONG WAT SINCE THE WALMART MODEL 110 FROM YRS PAST.
"kill em all"

mnmgri4

Yes, it has the wood stock and spiral fluted bolt.

swampthang

gotta give it to ya....brother you got good taste !! ITS A BEAUTIFUL gun hope it shoots good. it would be the perfect rifle to haul on a sheep hunt at 9000ft. hope to draw my tag soon. keep us informed on how she shoots.
"kill em all"

Trent

Swampthang, where do you hunt here in Georgia? I'm wanting deer and pig.

Sorry to get off topic.

walkinhorseman

Enjoy that Savage and let us know how it does. I don't currently own any Savage bolt guns, but I have friends who have the target guns in 6.5x284 and 6BR. Savage is doing a great job today and I would consider a Savage over Ruger, Remington and Winchester.

swampthang

trent,
 ive got 4800acres up and down the swamps in tattnall county. deer out the butt. hogs go and come according to the river level. if you want to come hunt sometime your more than welcome. if you want to hog hunt there ft.stewart military base ( eat up with em) and theres a local wma that has tons of BIG hogs. as for deer,i gotcha covered. just not gonna be here alot in ga. because of the guiding i do in kansas. i will be leaving mon. and wont be on the forum for quiet awile. trying to make enough money to by the mk4 from txcas. and remodel a kitchen haha
"kill em all"

Trent

Have fun out in Kansas! I'll catch up with you when you get back.

mnmgri4

Here it is bare naked and weighing in at 5.5lbs. !!  Hope to have it dressed up with optics in the next couple of weeks.  It is nicer than I imagined, Savage did a fine job designing this rifle.  Love the fluted bolt! :P

swampthang

this is definatley a SWEET feeling rifle !!! i held 1 at the outdoorblast in atlanta. it should handle the little creedmoor with ease. is it a longrange gun?probobly not but for a hunting setup it should be awesome. please post some pics of how she shoots.  a good looking deep blued ,wood stock rifle is almost a thing of the past. well boys....heres one to look at.
"kill em all"

1SG

I purchased the light weight hunter this past Dec(2012) also in 6.5 Creedmoor. It's a great carry rifle. I've worked up a load of 100V  and get 1/2 to 5/8 groups at 100 yards.Conographed it at 2880 velocity.  Put on a Swarovski Z3  3x10 x42 with BDH cross hairs. Only complaint is the bolt is a little rough when working it. Not as smooth as other rifles I own. Just wondering how well yours cycles rounds. Maybe it will smooth out after a few 100 rounds. Only have put about 100 through it. I also hope to use it on a Big Horn hunt . I believe it will be good out to 400 yards.  I've sighted in for dead on 250.