News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

ELD Match 120 and 140

Started by Hobbsta, March 24, 2017, 01:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbsta

I want to develop some rounds with the Hornady ELD Match 120 gr and 140 gr bullets.  I plan to use H BLC-2 for the 120's and H Hybrid 100V for the 140's.  I have been looking for Hornady published load data for those bullets.  I have load data from Hodgdon, but wanted to see the list from Hornady.  Does anyone have the most recent Hornady load data that they can share?  I am most interested in the OAL's for both.  Thanks!

txcas

From Hornady's latest reloading manual:
140gr ELD-M - COL 2.800"
120gr ELD-M - COL 2.710"

Hobbsta

Thanks much, txcas.  I noticed that those OAL's are same as what was listed for the AMAX bullets back in 2010 (I have an excerpt from that 2010 load data manual).  Just curious... is manual that you pulled those ELD Match OAL's newer (like within the last year)?   

Also, since Hodgdon shows an OAL of 2.670 for a 120gr bullet (says "A-MAX"), which would be more accurate?  If I used the OAL of 2.670, what would be the effects on the point of impact? 

Thanks, again, for the help.  I am an FNG to 6.5 Creedmoor and reloading. 

txcas

The data comes from Hornady Handbook 10Th Edition that was released not even a year ago.

Hobbsta

Thanks much, again!  One more question... I still see a lot of posts about the Hornady A-MAX.  As I understand, that bullet was replaced with the ELD Match, correct?  If so, is the data for them interchangeable? 

dadajack

Quote from: Hobbsta on March 24, 2017, 03:24:49 PMThanks much, txcas.  I noticed that those OAL's are same as what was listed for the AMAX bullets back in 2010 (I have an excerpt from that 2010 load data manual).  Just curious... is manual that you pulled those ELD Match OAL's newer (like within the last year)? 

Also, since Hodgdon shows an OAL of 2.670 for a 120gr bullet (says "A-MAX"), which would be more accurate?  If I used the OAL of 2.670, what would be the effects on the point of impact

Thanks, again, for the help.  I am an FNG to 6.5 Creedmoor and reloading. 

None if you do not have an established point of reference. I can tell you though, that if you are using data for 2.710" OAL and seat to 2.670" with the ELD-M, you will need to reduce your expected max charge by at least half a grain to compensate for the reduced internal capacity of the case. The ELD-M bullets that directly replaced their associated A-MAX branded target projectiles are essentially identical in outside dimensions. The Hornady tech I spoke to about the 140 ELD-M told me to substitute A-MAX data for same weight ELD-M projectiles until they released their updated manual. the most significant change to the line is the high-temp polymer tip that conserves BC at range by not deforming under the heat and drag high velocity rifle rounds endure.

as a new reloader, I would caution you to just use the book recipes for now, until you get an understanding of the process and finalize your own approach to reloading. Everyone has their own set of steps in the reloading process, and you need to establish what you like and follow it every time to avoid mistakes that can cost you your life, or someone else's. That is an extreme case of a reloading mishap, but it is not out of the realm of possibility. It's easily avoided, but consistency and routine are integral to a safe reloading hobby... or addiction as some guys on here have.
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
I have a lot of guns... There, I said it.

Hobbsta

Thanks, Dadajack.  That's great advice and the exact intel I was looking for.  I have been reloading for only 2 months, so the advice is very welcome.  I have been loading a lot tho, still learning.  I have a RPR in 6.5 Creed, and have been testing two bullets so far:  120 gr Barnes TSX, and the 140gr SMK.  I have tried a range of charges (in small increments, and controlled, documented tests), but nothing seems to give me the "one ragged hole" group yet.  The 140gr SMK with 39.6gr of H Hybrid 100V comes the closest with a .75" group (I test in 5 round groups), but there are always a damn flyer or two.  Drives me crazy.  Hence, I want to test the Hornady ELD Match bullets in 120gr and 140gr.  The goal is to develop the round for 1000+ yard shooting, and hunting groundhogs and springbok in Africa at very long distances.  I have been a 7 Rem Mag guy for many years, but sold my gun and custom ammo to move to the 6.5 Creedmoor with the goal of 1000+yard shots.

Rob01

Book OALs are fine but if you are loading you should adjust the OAL to you chamber. The 140 AMAX OAL was 2.810" and the 120 AMAX was 2.720". As mentioned though you should measure your chamber and OAL to the lands and then set back from that.

Also the ELD-M are different from the AMAX in dimensions. Slightly but different. The small redesigns are how they got the higher BC over the AMAX line. The tip was changed to keep the BC where it is during flight. You can however use the same powder charge info and OAL for the same caliber and weight.