News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

converting my savage

Started by bfm1851, January 17, 2017, 10:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bfm1851

Thanks for all the input.  leaning toward doing it myself as it sounds easy enough.  Now to complicate things (or not) a friend gave me his model 12 .308 he no longer wants. From everything I read there is no difference between the model 10 and 12 action.  His has the
accutrigger as where on mine I installed one of Fred's SSS triggers years ago.  Is there any reason to use one over the other? 

Manitouman

Quote from: jeffreybehr on January 19, 2017, 07:31:11 PM...
Haven't found it yet--how 'bout a link?
If you scroll down Feature Articles on www.longrangehunting.com, look for "September Sabbatical". I would do the link thing but my genius lies in other areas . . .
The other way to find it is to look under the "Our Writers" button down the left side menu for Les Voth. The article links from there too.
My book, Life Les'ons by Les Voth, is available at Amazon.com.

tstar

I see no reason to use one over the other unless cosmetically one is better (dings and scratches?). If you're thinking of getting a custom stock in the future consider the bolt release and weather it's a DBM or not, I believe the older savages have more options for a custom stock. I would use the better trigger of course...

I wish someone would just give me a Savage!  lol

Tim

bfm1851

Well I'm on my way.  Purchased a barrel and it should arrive later this week.  Also found a place that will thread the muzzle in Dallas that has great turn around time and very good prices.  Figure to send barrel to him before I install. Oh I'll fit it to the action alright but want to have it threaded for brake. Who knows maybe in the future they will make suppressors a bit easier to have.  Bought vice inserts so I can take barrel nut off. Have a go gauge coming. Figure to use tape for no go and save a few dollars. What am I forgetting?
Any advice on which brake is best?  I have read that the APA little Bastard brake is good? I have got to get reloading materials but I'll start with factory ammo.  Hornady? Weight bullets, 140?  I the middle of selling a house and moving so not sure what time I'll have to put to this project but I am looking forward to it.  :)

Speed31050

I can vouch for the little bastard.  It's good, and if you get the gen 2 version you can index it yourself.  The gen 1 installed by a smith is much sexier looking but same results.