News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

New Kestrel

Started by 490440, September 29, 2016, 09:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have had a Kestrel 4500 with AB and no link for a while. The relative humidity was stuck at 50%. That's a good number to be stuck at in my area.
I didn't really "need" a new one but I bought the 5000 elite with AB and link.

I sent my old one back to be re calibrated/repaired. I arranged to sell it to a co worker for $300 once I got it back.
Kestrel called the other day and informed me that my 4500 was non repairable and they were sending a new one.

I thought they would sent a 4500 like I tried to have fixed, but they are sending a 5000 elite with AB with no link. Sweet!
For $100 I upgraded to the link model.  Even sweeter!!

I guess I have two now, but I'll see if my dealer will take the one they're sending me.

The Kestrel people were really good to deal with, even if I hadn't gotten a new unit. They were still good to deal with.
6.5 CM, 26" 5r bartlein 1-8, Tac 30, Xlr Element, ATACR.
Lapua brass from .308 palma.

Wilson1911

You will find that the new kestrels are even better. I even bought the wind vane.
I am not the biggest, nor the fastest.  I will not fall short or stray off my target. I am a surgical instrument, who lives in the X ring. I am the 6.5 Creedmoor with deadly precision.

I wondered about those, I already drag so much stuff to the range....... Some of it is even useful.

Wilson1911

Where I live the wind blows 8-15 daily. All of us use kestrels. The wind vane via bluetooth to your phone is great. I set it up behind us and adjust on the fly since the wind is constantly changing. This makes shooting difficult, and different every day.
I am not the biggest, nor the fastest.  I will not fall short or stray off my target. I am a surgical instrument, who lives in the X ring. I am the 6.5 Creedmoor with deadly precision.

We live in the same town. I saw one of your pics at Butch's range.

I'll be down there tonight trying to shoot a group at that mile target. I don;t care if it's a 6 FT group........

4 hits at a mile out of 20 rounds. 2 of them bounced into it sideways and two were right at the top. Not much of a group.

A 6.5 creedmoor doesn't hit very hard out there....

MislMan

Thought you agreed to sell the returned one to a co-worker. Doesn't seem right to stiff him becauseof your good fortune.  You keep the best one and other goes to co-worker. Just saying.

I thought that as well. But I was selling him a used Kestrel 4500 for $300. That was the deal. It was still under warranty so repairs were free.

I just bought a new 5000 for $754 out the door.
I put $100 on the warrantied one to get the link upgrade.

Thats $850 spent in a week or so that I can either recoup $300 of or $700 of. He didn't want to spend more than $300 at any rate. Which is understandable except I had to add my own $100 to get it upgraded.
He didn't want it for $400. I told him it was a brand new link model 5000 and what I just paid for one.

So now I sell a brand new unit for $300 and lose the $100 upgrade to link. Ending up with $200..........Or I take it to the gun shop where I bought my other one, and where they offered to sell it as new ( which it is ).

I told him all of this and he said he didn't want to spend the $400 which honestly would have been a smokin deal.

So nobody is getting stiffed. There are plenty of used Kestrels in the world. He wanted mine specifically because it had his guns data in it.

Either way, we're both cool with it.