Hydrographics, anyone have their stock dipped?

Started by dadajack, February 05, 2016, 08:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dadajack

I want to do something with my Ruger American Ranch stock. I absolutely hate that green color, although, it is better than that tan color they use on the predator series. My opinion, just how it is. So, I've thought about applying the rattle sponge treatment, but I have also been thinking about hydrographics. There is a shop close to me I have talked to, but I wanted real life feedback on the longevity, robustness, etc... of the material. I know it looks great, and you can do some crazy patters, but does it last?

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences.
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
I have a lot of guns... There, I said it.

Static6050

I am interested as well... I'm thinking of dipping that Magpul 700 FDE stock into the ASAT pattern.  I'm not sure what I'd do with the other 12 ft of pattern.  I could get 3 ft, but the cost is terrible compared to getting 15 ft of it.  FWP...

I'd say its tough if they are dipping rims and vehicle parts but I too will like to know opinions of those that have used it.

maverick2

We've got two shotguns we use for trapshooting that have been dipped.  Mine (the blond burlwood pattern shown in the first pic) was dipped 5+ years ago, and has held up great.  Picked up a second trap gun for my daughter last summer and found a youth synthetic stock and forearm for it, so let her choose the graphics of her choice to customize it for her.  She chose the red, silver, and black flames in the second pic, with a gloss coat over the top.  (If we could do it over again, we'd probably skip the gloss, as I much prefer the "feel" of the finish on mine over that of hers -- similar to the difference in feel between an oil rubbed wood stock and a high gloss wood stock.)  When she grows into the full size stock, we'll dip the original wood stock as well -- I like the look and feel of the hydrodipped stocks more than Remington's high gloss finish they put on their trap guns, and the hydrodip finish doesn't show the nicks and scratches that wood does.  I think it cost me $125 total for the pattern, prep work, and dip process.

dadajack

Those look great. I'm sold. Thanks for the feedback.
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
I have a lot of guns... There, I said it.

swampthang

Never had one done,
But my benelli was factory dipped 10+yrs ago and it is very good.
I 've put this thing thru the ringer and starting to wear off pretty good. But it's lasted so long I'm gonna have it re dipped
Only this time in mossy oak bottom land.
And if or when the time comes to refinish my rock river ath  I'm gonna dip it in the carbon pattern. Really like the way it would make the as barrel POP.and stand out.
"kill em all"

maverick2

Another piece of info regarding durability -- we also dipped a slalom ski.  The finish on that ski looks great after a season of heavy flexing, getting tossed in and out of boats, smacked with rope handles, etc...  (Basically, it gets handled worse than any gun, and the finish is holding up well.

velvetant

I wonder how a matte clear coat finish would feel?
Cut the glare for a hunting rifle and still have a nice custom/unique pattern.

maverick2

Quote from: velvetant on February 06, 2016, 01:05:58 PMI wonder how a matte clear coat finish would feel?
Cut the glare for a hunting rifle and still have a nice custom/unique pattern.

I'd characterize the finish on my shotgun as a "matte" finish -- I believe that was achieved with no coats atop the hydrodip.  (As for "feel", I prefer the feel of it to that of most rifles and shotguns I own.  The gloss finish -- not so much...) The gal I've used for hydrodip uses automotive finishes (I assume most hydrodip companies do the same) so if there's a "matte" clearcoat out there in automotive finishes you like, it's probably an option. 

One other thing to consider, if you want to customize your stock (addition of a palm swell, carving the handhold up a bit, cheek rest modifications, etc...) the hydrodip finish would hide all that.  The handgrip on my shotgun was tweaked quite a bit.  You'd never know it by looking at it, but it's quite apparent when you pick it up and feel the palm swell.   

sportacus

Plan to do a couple of synthetic stocks in the near future using the sponge and spray paint technique. Will just degrease the RAP stock with denatured alcohol and have at it. Have an old Kevlar and fiberglass on a Rem 700 that I will lightly sand/scuff up before I degrease and spray paint a tan base coat. Last coat for both will be a spray of Krylon matte clear coat that I got at the local ACE hardware.
If you have the shot, take it.

-CN-

You've got the Ranch and the Predator confused.
The Predator is the rifle with the green stock, and the one that comes in 6.5 Creedmoor. That must be what you have.
It is the Ranch rifle that has the tan stock.
I personally like them both as far as color goes. Styling of the stock isn't the best. However, spray paint on a black American stock worked for me.
It's CREEDMOOR - two E's, two O's.