Cleaning rod recommendations

Started by kujuak, January 26, 2016, 07:33:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kujuak

I am primarily a 30cal shooter.  I do shoot .223 and 250 savage also.I have 22 cal and 30cal Dewey rods. What do you guys recommend for my new 6.5 Creedmoor RPR?

coolbranch

I have been using my 22 cal Dewey rod with a .264 aluminum jag, nylon only brush and I think 1 1/2 inch round flannel patches from Sinclair Int.
"Happiness is a warm gun".

Ed

I use a Tipton carbon fiber rod 22-26 and a jag and cloth from Montana Extreme

Ed
Talk's cheap....takes money to buy whiskey

Stugotz

I have been using a Gunslick 1-pc carbon fiber cleaning rod for about 5 years now (previously had used a .22 cal stainless steel 1 piece rod that I had been using for approx. 20 yrs). The idea behind the carbon fiber rod is suppose to eliminate particle pickup their by eliminating any possible damage to your barrel.
Yes, I realize speling is a chalunge for sum of us...I am inkluded in that grup, so pleze fourgiv me. Ski-U-Mah!

Danbonzo

Quote from: kujuak on January 26, 2016, 07:33:25 AMI am primarily a 30cal shooter.  I do shoot .223 and 250 savage also.I have 22 cal and 30cal Dewey rods. What do you guys recommend for my new 6.5 Creedmoor RPR?
Any quality rod that is coated and a spinner. I have Tetra's and Pro-shot's and use Sinclair bore guides.
RIP Chris Cornell

Stugotz

I have read that certain coated rods should be avoided. I understand the issue is for the potential of something to get embedded in the rod coating and an infinitesimally small chance that the embedded particulate could damage bore/crown etc.
Yes, I realize speling is a chalunge for sum of us...I am inkluded in that grup, so pleze fourgiv me. Ski-U-Mah!

Danbonzo

Quote from: Stugotz on January 26, 2016, 11:14:23 AMI have read that certain coated rods should be avoided. I understand the issue is for the potential of something to get embedded in the rod coating and an infinitesimally small chance that the embedded particulate could damage bore/crown etc.
Hmm.
No embedding issues so far knock on wood.
RIP Chris Cornell

Stugotz

Quote from: Danbonzo on January 26, 2016, 11:18:25 AMHmm.
No embedding issues so far knock on wood.

As I recall, it wasn't a blanket statement regarding all coated rods, but I think one would want to avoid the in-expensive 'soft' plastic coated rods you might find for sale. ;)

Hector

I'm using a rod sized for 6mm made by BoreTech and also use the bore guides from Sinclair.
One good turn.....gets all the covers.

Rob01

Quote from: Edw on January 26, 2016, 09:40:50 AMI use a Tipton carbon fiber rod 22-26 and a jag and cloth from Montana Extreme

Ed

Same rod here. Started using them after I bent a dewey and needed a replacement. I like the Tipton handles better and no need for an adapter to use a brush.

MZ5

I've been pleased with carbon fiber cleaning rods for several years now. I also use the polymer bore guides from Sinclair, excepting for the auto-loaders for which a muzzle guide is the only option when I must use a cleaning rod.

Cujo

I like Boretech cleaning rods and Lucas bore guides. The handles on the BT rods spin effortlessly.  They come in different lengths and the handles are color coded for caliber.  I picked up the 4-Rod  carrying case for my .30, .264, .223, and .20 caliber rods for easy transport and storage.  The folks at Boretech are super cool too.

flyer

I was using a stainless rod on my rifles but none were terribly accurate, I didn't worry about it.

With my Creedmoor being an actually accurate rifle I upgraded to a Tipton carbon fiber rod which was pretty cheap on Amazon for a 36" and I got a nice bore guide.

Now I feel like all the force I apply is going straight down the bore rather than bending the rod.

They say the trouble with stainless rods is when they get bent and the middle of the rod starts dragging against the lands.  A rod that won't bend permanently and a guide that keeps it straight seems like a wise investment and only about $30 more than no guide and a stainless rod.

I also got a muzzle mate which catches the dirty patches and solvent spray when a brush goes out the muzzle and some easy to seal containers to hold new brushes, copper brushes and jags for use with the powder solvent and nylon brushes for use with copper solvent.

I bought KG copper solvent because I heard it was the best that is commonly available and less nasty than Sweets.  I also got the powder solvent and bore polish.  They seem to do a good job which is more than I can say for all of my random cleaning fluids I bought over the years.

Cold Trigger Finger

.270 Bore Snake.
 Works like a million bucks . ;D

I don't clean too often . and I mostly shoot coated bullets .

If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.