News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

Compact "brush gun" - .243 or 7-08?

Started by -CN-, December 22, 2015, 12:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7x64

CTF, what's your opinion on a Browning BLR, 20" barrel, in 358 Winchester, for a bar hunting rifle, or bar protection rifle?

Seems like a BLR would also be a good brush gun. I never was that into them, but a few weeks ago I met a guy out in the desert while I was shooting, we got to talking, and next thing I know he's letting me shoot is BLR chambered in 22-250. That was a pretty cool rifle, really surprised me, accuracy was adequate, and the 20" barrel was a tad short for a 22-250! But it was a fun gun to shoot and seemed put together really well. He really loved that BLR... it was his mule deer rifle (but that's a subject for another thread :-X)

sportacus

-CN-
Had a brain cramp and forget to mention another option.  Howa Hogue.  Have one in 7mm-08.  20 inch barrel with Hogue overmolded stock.  Now wears a VX 3 2.5-8x36.  Sub MOA with 140 BT and 140 Accubonds.  Reasonably priced and well put together. Quick and handy.  The rifle Dianna used to kill her very first deer in 2014.
If you have the shot, take it.

txaggie

If I were chopping a barrel I would go 20" have several in 308's and they point and shoot just fine, but that's me 18" should be fine

maverick2

Quote from: kamml on January 01, 2016, 09:54:40 PMIf you are talking about hunting in tight quarters and thick brush (and most non-dangerous game), my go to rifle for that situation has a combination light weight, low recoil, 5 shot magazine, fast handling and a big bullet, my 80's Marlin 336 in 35 Rem. It's a DRT rifle if I do my part and is fine for Black Bear, Hogs and Whitetails. Some folks have used this cartridge on Elk as well. I load it myself with 200 gr. corelokts and Win 748 powder. And its light weight is just the ticket hunting from a tree stand. It has great balance and is an easy carry for still hunting with a one hand carry.  I wouldn't it use much past 150yds, but its fine for anything closer than that. There are plenty of used 336s out there on the used market for under $500 with a JM stamped proof mark on the barrel.  For a fast handling brush cartridge the JM Marlin 336 combined with the 35 Rem cartridge is hard to beat.

This isn't the sexiest answer out there, but is pretty much along the lines of what I'd do as well for playing in thick brush.  (I'd probably opt for the .358 Winchester in a Savage 99 though.)

-CN-

Quote from: -CN- on January 06, 2016, 04:28:19 PMYou guys have inspired a different train of thought in my head's internal workings.
I'm going to have one of my current 7mm-08 rifle barrels cut down to 18 inches to satisfy my needs for a more compact rifle. Then, instead of buying a compact rifle, I'm going to get a RAP in 6.5 Creedmoor to replace the one I chopped.

And to update anyone who has been interested, this is exactly what I did!
I got a professional shortening job done locally for 70 bucks. I picked 17" - an inch longer than the Ranch Rifle but an inch shorter than Ruger's own Compact American. With the standard length of pull from the full size stock, my rifle's overall length is the same as the American Compact. Then I replaced my 3-9x40 scope with a fixed 1x (Vortex "Muzzleloader" scope) due to the ultra light weight of it. Using same ammo as I always have it seems to shoot exactly the same too (out to 100 yds anyway) so I am happy with that.
I couldn't wait either, I found a RAP in 6.5 Creedmoor in stock while my 7mm-08 was still at the shop getting the work done. I set it up with a new 4-16x50 scope and will be taking it hunting in the fall.
It's CREEDMOOR - two E's, two O's.

Speed31050

If we are talking brush guns, the old school marlin 45-70 is on my list.  With a red dot. 

jakeway

Well, CN, you did pretty much what I was going to suggest.  I had a short rifle with a bad nick in the crown, and it cost $75 yo hve it shortened one inch and a target crown cut.  Shoots sub-MOA now.

If you hadn't done that, I have the perfect gun for what you describe: a Ruger M77 compact in 260 REM.  I out a slip-on recoil pad to lengthen the pull just about an inch, and it's a great gun for still hunting or up in a tree stand.  I also have a CVA Hunter break action in 7mm-08, which is a fun change of pace as well.

I used to have a 243 Ruger M77 Compact, and it handled just like the 260 and killed every deer and coyote I shot at with it, but the blood trails from that little pill just weren't up to snuff.  I sold that to finance my RAP in 6.5 Creed.

Do you reload?  That's another reason to get different guns in different calibers; you can neck-size the ammo and not worry about shooting it in the wrong gun.
"Only Accurate Rifles are Interesting"

Cold Trigger Finger

Quote from: 7x64 on January 06, 2016, 05:24:39 PMCTF, what's your opinion on a Browning BLR, 20" barrel, in 358 Winchester, for a bar hunting rifle, or bar protection rifle?

Seems like a BLR would also be a good brush gun. I never was that into them, but a few weeks ago I met a guy out in the desert while I was shooting, we got to talking, and next thing I know he's letting me shoot is BLR chambered in 22-250. That was a pretty cool rifle, really surprised me, accuracy was adequate, and the 20" barrel was a tad short for a 22-250! But it was a fun gun to shoot and seemed put together really well. He really loved that BLR... it was his mule deer rifle (but that's a subject for another thread :-X)

I think its a great cartridge. I've never had a BLR.  But I did have a Savage 99 in 358 Winchester.  Hunted on Uganik Island  and other places with it. Got my first 2 deer with it. I was shooting 250 gr Hornady rnsp bullets I loaded on a Lee Loader. With Idr powder. But the book said they should be going 2200-2300 fps. I also encountered some great big bear tracks . And I gotta say back then , being a cheechako I still didn't think the rifle was quite big enough. But, the bears kept their distance. So I didn't have a chance to try it. But Hal Waugh said it was a good brown bear cart for a light rifle. Also,  it's not too different from the 348 Winchester.  A 250 gr bullet at 2300 fps.
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

Litehiker

My "brush gun" is a .308 Savage 99C lever action that is damned accurate for its type. I used it in Pennsylvania for deer and for that use it's perfect.  Rapid reload, natch, and for some reason a very good trigger.

Out west where I now live (Nevada) it's still a good rifle and with a new 5 R barrel coming soon it will be even better.

Unfortunately this beauty is no longer produced. But with today's  investment casting for receivers and CNC machining cutting costs Savage could at least make a run of 5,000 with fancy stocks and sell them like hotcakes.

BTW, I once owned a 1st gen (Belgian made) Browning BLR. The barrel was way too thin and after the 3rd shot it could not keep an original POI group.

Eric B.
"I can stop buying guns and gun stuff anytime I want - I've done it hundreds of times."

smoke'em6.5

my gramps always used a lever action 300 savage as his brush gun. he could chop down cedar trees with that thing
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed

Fuj

Brush guns to me  always meant something that could get thru
heavy tangle and fight off deflection. Best one I've ever owned
was a Remington 600 in 350 Remington Magnum.....a .338 on this
case is on my bucket list.

Regnar

Fuji said what i was going to, but one more thing, there is no such thing.

You should never be shooting at anything when they are obscured.  Brish will deflect any bullet, be it a 7mm-08 or the 50.  I mised a big buck because I hit a small branch that I could not see thru thr svope because it was directly infront of the barel.  It eas a 20ga accu tip.

The only thing better than me spending my own money, is my friends spending it for me

dadajack

That's why "brush guns" should shoot flat meplat, large diameter slugs that cut through the twigs and branches, rather than rub by them. Also, I think it is important to have something at relatively low velocity to decrease the effect hitting brush has on the projectile as well. A Ruger carbine with 250 WFNGC boolits would be good, but not as good as a 45-70 shooting 405 grain WFN PB cast boolits. IraqVeteran8888 on YouTube has a video up about brush guns with some decent examples of different calibers. For the most part, I think the point is well made.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5dve7vAY9I
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
I have a lot of guns... There, I said it.

MTMAN

I have an older model BLR in .358 Winchester and load it with 225gr Nosler Partitions at 2300fps. It is good to 300yds for elk and should handle large bears in a pinch. You will find it has substantial recoil (about like heavy bullet 30-06 loads). Mine is very accurate too. The Barnes TSX in 200gr or 225gr should work well also. You can drive the 200gr bullets to about 2500fps. If you buy an older model BLR you will have difficult time finding spare magazines and when you do they will be over $200.00. Good luck and avoid the bears if you can!
As CTF said it is about like the 348 and actually was designed by Winchester to replace the 348. I once killed an antelope at 380yds with mine, but required about 2 foot of holdover. One shot and it was down. I have never found a bullet in anything I shot with the 225gr Ballistic Tips or 250gr Hornadys.

Fuj

Quote from: dadajack on March 03, 2017, 12:47:31 PMThat's why "brush guns" should shoot flat meplat, large diameter slugs that cut through the twigs and branches, rather than rub by them. Also, I think it is important to have something at relatively low velocity to decrease the effect hitting brush has on the projectile as well. A Ruger carbine with 250 WFNGC boolits would be good, but not as good as a 45-70 shooting 405 grain WFN PB cast boolits. IraqVeteran8888 on YouTube has a video up about brush guns with some decent examples of different calibers. For the most part, I think the point is well made.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5dve7vAY9I

Dada....I had you in mind with this option....AR 50 Beo Wolf. Cartridge is
similar to the 500 S&W Magnum but much longer.....Stuff in a magazine
and turn on the EOTech. I'd feel right at home with a 16" barrel.