News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Recommended reload data from factory 140 gr A-Max box

Started by txcas, May 05, 2010, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

txcas

Here is the recommended reload data printed on Hornady's part #81494, 6.5 Creedmoor 140gr A-Max:

41.5 gr H-4350
Fed 210M primer
C.O.L. 2.810"

Rob01

The original lot listed 41.9grns on the box for the 140s. Either are a good starting point to work from.

John Goodney

I just got my dpms 6.5 yesterday.  I've got some 140 match kings.  I loaded 41.5 grs. of H-4350.  Will try this load as soon as the rain stops.  I was told about this site and really like it so far.  Semper Fi.  John Goodney.

John Goodney

I made it to the range today and Tried the reloads with the 140gr smks and they look very promising.  Had to adjust the seating depth because of the tight chamber om dpms rifle.  Thanks for all the useful tips on this sight.  Semper fi.  John

giterdone

John.....Picked up my DPMS  PANTHER 6.5 CREEDMOOR WITH 24" bull stainless barrel 1-8.5" twist yesterday.  Cant wait to shoot it but everyone seems to have ammo and cases on back order.  You mention that you have a tight chamber.  What twist do you have?  I understand the earlier ones had 1-7" twists and tight chambers but I dont know when they switched to 1-8.5" twists.  I replaced the factory stock and other items I switched from some of my other AR's..... a Magpul PRS and a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50mm LR/T in a LaRue SPR-1.5 (QD) mount, and replaced the vertical grip with a AG44-S Mako.  Have not yet ordered 10 round magazines but Midway has them on sale.  I did order a Redding "S" Match FL die set and .288 TN bushing and they are on the way here, should have them by saturday.  Meanwhile in order to get something to shoot to break in the barrel; im going to use .243 brass that I first expand from .243 to .257 and then from .257 to .277.  I then have trimmed the O.A.L. to 1.920 and when the dies come I will full length size them using the TN .288 bushing in the "S" Match bushing die.  I have some Hornady 140gr. SST bullets which I will use while im waiting for the 140gr A-Max to come back in stock.  My club (ASC) has a 600yd. range in addition to seperate 25,50,100,200 ranges and the 300 is part of the 600.  BTW this beast weighs 16 lbs. with Harris bi-pod attached.   How about an update on your progress with your 6.5?
The latest caliber or gear is no substitute for experience and skill.  Rifles and cartridges don't make hits-----shooters do.

John Goodney

I tried the 140 gr. sst and it worked great.  I used 4350 with 41.5 grains and federal 210 primers.  It stacks them on top of each other at 100yds.  I use 142 gr. smks for target shooting.  I've got a upper from Midway with a 1 in 8 twist.  Stainless barrel.  I am using a 6 to 25 scope.  I love this caliber so far.  I've also got a 6.8, 338Federal,and two 308 ars.  The 6.5 is quickly becoming my favorite.  I hope you have as much fun as I have with mine so far.  Good luck,  John.

John Goodney

Hey, gitterdone, Midway has the 6.5 brass in stock.  That would save you some work resizing.  I have a set of rcbs dies and they seem to do good.  I'm going deer hunting this weekend and will take the 6.5 with me to see if the 140 sst does it's job....Good  Luck with your set up...Semper Fi.   ...John

giterdone

John....I replaced my 4.5 x 14 scope with one of my VX3 8.5x25 LRT scopes (target dot) and have not been to the range again to re-sight it in.  Evidently Midway went out of stock rather quickly.  I have a request to be e-mailed when they (6.5 CM brass) comes in.   I also have a 6.8 SPC II in 1-11" twist from Bushmaster and it is a hoot to shoot.  Just got some H4350 and loaded up some 140 SST's using 40.5 @ 2.800" C.O.A.L in my (Remington) .243 Winchester caliber cases that I trimmed, FL sized and neck turned so that the neck diameter WITH BULLET INSERTED is 0.293".  My fired cases O.D. neck dia. measure 0.295".   I have no idea what the neck thickness of the Hornady brass is (im told it is 0.014") as I dont have any on hand to measure.  The first (Rem WW .243) cases I neck turned I found out were turned  too thin for my chamber, so in the trash heap they went.   Fortunately I had 50 used Rem. .243 win cases left to form into 6.5 Creedmoor and I re-adjusted my Redding "S" F.L. bushing dies to set the shoulder back .002"-.003" and size the neck to the depth I needed.  I have A-Max bullets and Hornady loaded ammo on back order in addition to brass, so after I fireform the 40.5gr. of H4350 loaded .243 brass I will reload them with 41.5gr of H4350 with 140 A-Max and give it a try (depending on how the primers and cases measure).  My web site is
www.longrangeBPCR.com  when I get the brass fireformed I will shoot it at 600yds with the 140 A-Max reloads and chronograph (Oehler 35P) the loads also.  Did you get a Deer?
The latest caliber or gear is no substitute for experience and skill.  Rifles and cartridges don't make hits-----shooters do.

John Goodney

Hey...Giterdone.. I read your post from last night.  If you have some win. 308 brass. it should work for the rifle you have.  I will be leaving thursday to go deer hunting.  I have used dupont powder and it worked real well, also.  The 6.8 is one heck of a lot of fun.  I've killed twodeer with it and they didn't run.  Keep in touch and let me know how it works at 600yds.  My range is building a400 and 600yd range but the benches aren't finished.....Good Luck...John.

giterdone

FYI...... Its much easier to expand necks on . 243 cases than to size down .308 cases when forming 6.5 Creedmoor cases.   Come on Hornady..... start shipping some brass....my arms are getting tired from forming cases.   www.longrangeBPCR.com

John Goodney

Hey, Giterdone,.... Got back from deer lease today.  Killed an 8 pt this morning.  Those ssts are bad to the bone.  Had his head down on a frontal shot.  Bullit went thru nrck and blowed his heart out the chest.  He was 120 yds according to range finder.  Didn't have to hunt for him!  Talk to you later...John.

giterdone

The trigger on the DPMS LR- 6.5 Creedmoor is the 2nd worse rifle trigger I have owned.  The first was an early Weatherby Vanguard trigger (the new vanguards have a redesigned trigger) so I ordered a Geissele SSA two stage trigger.  Since its 9 degrees outside I dont think I will need it too quickly.  Meanwhile im waiting to try out my 4/10 round magazine with the plactic spacers inside.  Makes more sense to buy the 4 round mag to stay legal in the field should I decide to shoot a coyote or fox.  Can always pull out the spacer and you have a 10 rounder.  Nice shooting on the 8 point.