News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

6.5 Saum 4s .....grin.....

Started by kalindark, November 27, 2014, 07:22:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aussie65

Looks nice Josh.
Less than a month turn around !
You would go insane here. No one here turns a full build around in that time.
There are just not enough good gunsmiths here.
3 months would be about the best you could hope for on a full build  & that's if you have all the bits ready to go.
Jealous as mate, should be a nail driver.
Don't look down on people unless you're helping them up.

swampthang

wow, thats a bold statement on the trigger. i need to find one to feel now. how are they in price comparison. my price on a jewell is 185.00
hey bud, do you think the rail on the front will affect barrell harmonics and accuracy?
"kill em all"

kalindark

Quote from: swampthang on December 05, 2014, 05:09:35 AMwow, thats a bold statement on the trigger. i need to find one to feel now. how are they in price comparison. my price on a jewell is 185.00
hey bud, do you think the rail on the front will affect barrell harmonics and accuracy?

I think I was charged around $210 for the trigger.  I had to try it again this morning and it is nice Swamp.
As for the rail.  There is plenty of room around the barrel so I don't believe it will affect harmonics.  but once I find a load I can take the top half off and check the accuracy.

swampthang

"kill em all"

kalindark

So after sleeping a few hours after a 12 hr night shift.  I set up my shooting mat at the range in light misty rain and 28 degrees.

I used 5 rounds to break the barrel in before the copper started to die off.  I loaded some 130 berger hunters up from 59 to 61.5.
Only shot the 60 grs of h1000 for a 3 shot group at a 100 yards.

There was a grandfather and grandson there getting ready for rifle season and I let the boy shoot one of the 59 gr loads.  He was excited as hell to shoot my rifle.  His response was "That thing kicks like a 22!"

So needless to say I shot a 2 shot group with the rest at 59gr of h1000.
[mergedate]1417817604[/mergedate]
[media id=561 type=preview align=center caption="NCM 1112"]

2 shot group from atlas bipod prone. 
[mergedate]1417817750[/mergedate]
[media id=562 type=preview align=center caption="NCM 1111"]
3 shot with 60 GRS of h1000. measured .440"
[mergedate]1417817839[/mergedate]
[media id=563 type=preview align=center caption="NCM 1110"]

Shot without my brake on for the groups since this is my hunting load.
I did shoot with the brake once and recoil was nonexistent.

That weather did suck and my fingers hurt with the rain in the mix.  But I would say this is gonna be a shooter after 9 rounds.

swampthang

those are some HUGE FLYS up there. musta been imported from ga.
 great news, stay at it and lets see just how good she ll do when she's tuned up.
"kill em all"

kalindark

Got the targets from targetz.com.

Yeah I'll continue with the 130 hunting load.  but I'll have to wait for warmer weather to see how things line out.  Things look promising so far.

Aussie65

What colour is your metalwork cerakoted bud?

kalindark

Im not sure about the color.  I asked Mark at SAC to match the light sand color on the stock.  Looking at the cerakote colors.  It very closely resembles benelli sand.  It turned out very nice.  The coating feels a bit grainier than my creedmoor.  I like the texture a lot.
[mergedate]1417860061[/mergedate]
had a chance to shoot this morning.  Yesterday was rain and 30 F.
This morning was sun, little wind and 24 F.  I continued with my ladder starting at 60 and going to 62.  Used my chrono for the first 2 groups and then stopped working . 

Groups were 3 shots prone at 100
60 gr  was .456". very close to the other day. 3042 fps
60.5.  was .580". was 3075 fps
61.     was 1.127". I felt that I pulled the first shot.
61.5. was .318"
62.    was. .480"

Until it gets warm again Ill sit on 61.5 gr since others shooting 130 bergers and this load were logging 3150 fps range.  Primers are still round.
[mergedate]1417973698[/mergedate]
[media id=565 type=preview align=center caption="NCM 1130"]

Philbie

Quote from: kalindark on December 07, 2014, 11:35:40 AMUntil it gets warm again Ill sit on 61.5 gr since others shooting 130 bergers and this load were logging 3150 fps range.  Primers are still round.

And I thought I was screaming pushing 107 SMK's at that velocity. :o
Tell me about the rabbits George, tell me about the rabbits.......

txaggie

you got a real fly swatter there!  ;D Me likey -

bsumoba

I LIKE!!!!!!

You might want to try 140gr hybrids.  I know G.A Precision (specifically the owner, George Gardner) really toots the horn on this caliber.  they run them around 3150 fps, which is not screaming hot for this caliber considering you can go much higher than that.

thus, you should be able to see good barrel life out of it.   

You might want to try H4831SC which might get you a little more velocity with it being a slightly faster powder and all.

i would say keep load developing until you are in the 2's...it should be able to shoot that from the research I've done on this caliber.

* you may begin shooting when your target appears!

kalindark

Quote from: bsumoba on December 07, 2014, 01:35:22 PMI LIKE!!!!!!

You might want to try 140gr hybrids.  I know G.A Precision (specifically the owner, George Gardner) really toots the horn on this caliber.  they run them around 3150 fps, which is not screaming hot for this caliber considering you can go much higher than that.

thus, you should be able to see good barrel life out of it.   

You might want to try H4831SC which might get you a little more velocity with it being a slightly faster powder and all.

i would say keep load developing until you are in the 2's...it should be able to shoot that from the research I've done on this caliber.
Thanks for the info.  I've read all I can on this round.  I know it can shoot even better.  I'll spend more time with it this spring when I can shoot better.  24 degrees and spending time on my shooting mat and truck trying to warm my fingers doesn't usually cause good groups.
If I get a day in the 40s I'll go again, hopefully my chrono will work.

Rooks gave me some 140 JLKs I want to try.

I also need to try this caliber suppressed.  AAC said to stay under 62000 for pressure.  Copper Creek loads to 58000.  I'm a little excited to try that as well.

bsumoba

i cant own suppressors in my state.... :-\ :'(

* you may begin shooting when your target appears!

Aussie65

Shooting 140s suppressed with say a 28" 5r barrel what velocities cold you hope to achieve with the Creed you think