Previous topic - Next topic

txcas

See attached document from Hornady.

swampthang

"kill em all"

Tl0311

My 140 gr amax boxes always said 2710fps. Odd

Rob01

That's the new box with the 24" barrel data listed.

rifle48

Rob01
* All ballistics obtained from a 28" test barrel:  This is from txcas attachment.

Rob01

I was answering the post before mine as why he had 2710fps listed on his box. The original boxes had the picture velocities from 28" barrels.

Tl0311

I see maybe I should pay more attention instead of flappin my jaws first. Sorry

. Wish I had that extra barrel I've got three 12lrp and only has the 26"

Stugotz

Yes, I realize speling is a chalunge for sum of us...I am inkluded in that grup, so pleze fourgiv me. Ski-U-Mah!

Jackson6.5

They are getting hotter, Hornady 140 AMAX out of a 26" barrel (at or near copper equilibrium) in 70* F ambient air temp and 65-68* ammo temp will run average 2995 fps
[media id=1133 type=preview align=center caption="Hornady 140 Amax"]

Litehiker

Hornady has now come out with their ELD - X and ELD - M bullets and loaded cartridges so a new link needs to be added to this sticky.
"I can stop buying guns and gun stuff anytime I want - I've done it hundreds of times."

Downeast

I was getting 2830 out of a 24" barrel with 120 AMAX Match. I figured that out when I plugged in the factory data and shot for groups. I was hitting really low. Ran the ammo through the chrono, dialed in the lower velocity and it is now dead on. 8)
IMPORTANT: These comments may contain information that is erroneous, false, or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor, or irrational religious beliefs. Any opinions expressed are my own and generally unpopular with others.

The Marshall

There is some good news in this for reloaders------you can get almost the same velocity from canister Superformance as you can the factory ammo. Example: 44gn of Superformance with 140gn SSTs averaged 2795fps from a 24" barrel using a MagnetoSpeed chronograph for measurement. (I like it much more than the light sensing Chrony 1.)  Also, 46.5gn of Superformance pushing 130gn Swift Scirocco II's were measured at 3010fps. Neither load is a maximum and your results may vary. Both loads were to the Hornady and Swift recommended COL.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
Every man has got to know his limits.

stormin_moorman

Quote from: Tl0311 on January 19, 2013, 04:13:03 AMMy 140 gr amax boxes always said 2710fps. Odd

Yeah, what's the deal?  Mine say the same thing, but my barrel is 26" so i get about 2,810 fps.  Did they change the charge?

Sorry for repeating the same thing.  Duuuuh...reading is hard.
Wind is hard...that's what she said.

Litehiker

ELD-X & ELD-M BALLISTICS?

Please post here when Hornady publishes ballistics for those new bullets.
Thanks.

Eric B.
"I can stop buying guns and gun stuff anytime I want - I've done it hundreds of times."

Rob01

BCs? They have been out for months for those bullets.