News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Killed a turkey yesterday

Started by sportacus, April 27, 2024, 02:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sportacus

Did it "old school." Mouth call and factory Stoeger 20 gauge with APEX 8.5 TSS shot. No vest full of my crap. Look like a tinker when I wear it. No decoy.
It was classic. Called him from a long way off. He hung up at 75 yards and was screaming his head off. I got quiet. When he closed to within 40-45  I busted him.10.5 " beard and 1.25 inch spurs. Probably a two year old.
If you have the shot, take it.

jvw2008

Sounds like you had the shot, and you took it. 😊
Congrats Wayne

VA-XBolt

sportacus

Thank you for the congrats. Have fallen in love with the 20 gauge with #9 TSS. Used to be a serious turkey hunnter. Chased them all over the South and Midwest. Healing nicely from the 360 spinal fusion. Will get serious again. Serious enough to put together a dedicated 20 gauge turkey gun.

A little humor. My favorite mouth call was the Knight & Hale Super Hen. Has not been made for years. Had squirreled a few back in the frig. Thursday night, opened one I had marked 2007. Seventeen years old. Soaked it under warm water. Went in the garage and did a few yelps. Yep, I still got it. Let him gobble 4-5 times before I made a peep. Soft yelps. He answered. When he hung up, I cut/cackled. Bird lost his mind. Shut up and let him come.

The best part. I am still limited physically. Was sitting on a dove bucket under a cedar tree on uneven ground. When I touched the little 20 off, tossed my wide a** flat on my back. He was flopping and I was limping. Like a scene from Gunsmoke with Chester moving with a purpose.
If you have the shot, take it.

jvw2008

Would love to see a video of that episode Wayne. I wear a brace on my right leg and often that leg gets tangled up in bramble and tall weeds. Can't tell you how many quail I've taken in the midst of falling down. 😊

VA-XBolt

Love turkey hunting. This year was pretty slow compared to last year. Only saw/heard one gobbler in 10 days out on my sister's farm in Missouri and just came home this past Saturday. Last year harvested two big (25lb) toms. Also using a 20ga (Mossberg pump), but with Federal 3rd Degree.