News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

Rollsizer

Started by jvw2008, April 24, 2024, 10:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jvw2008

jvw2008

So what are your thoughts on this sizer. I'm wondering if it might prolong primer pocket life.

autoxforfun

I watched a lot of videos but didn't really see how the bases were being sized....so the concept looked good.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

DHuffman

Quote from: jvw2008 on April 26, 2024, 12:48:53 PMSo what are your thoughts on this sizer. I'm wondering if it might prolong primer pocket life.

Curious why you think this might give an extended primer pockets life?
Dave

gman47564

Quote from: autoxforfun on April 26, 2024, 04:50:51 PMI watched a lot of videos but didn't really see how the bases were being sized....so the concept looked good.

Bob if you watch that case while it's going through that sizer it's turning.. as it goes around in there turning that space it's traveling through gets smaller .. to the point when it comes out it has been squeezed down to the size it needs to be.. hence the name roll sizer..
Grant

jvw2008

Quote from: DHuffman on April 26, 2024, 05:54:16 PMCurious why you think this might give an extended primer pockets life?

If I understand it correctly it is sizing the base of the case all the way down to the rim. It gets the bottom part of the case that a FLsizing die doesn't reach. If it is actually getting that far down, I can see how it might compress an expanded primer pocket.

I dont know enough about this sizing approach to understand all of what it does.

jvw2008

As I think about the primer pocket depth as it relates to the case rim, I don't think it would have much affect on the pocket diameter.

DHuffman

Quote from: jvw2008 on April 26, 2024, 08:22:14 PMAs I think about the primer pocket depth as it relates to the case rim, I don't think it would have much affect on the pocket diameter.

I'd think the rim and lower web would be very difficult to size but it would be interesting to make a ring die and test it.
Dave

gman47564

The rim is a little smaller on a 380 case than just above the extractor grove.(.002) But the rim is a little bigger on my 45 acp cases than just above the extractor grove.. so the roll sizer wouldn't touch the rim on the 380 case but definitely would the 45 acp case unless there's a cut out for the rim to run in on the roll sizer.. which I didn't see when watching the videos. But wasn't looking for one either.. no idea on a 9mm as I don't own one
Grant