News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Primer Seating Tool

Started by autoxforfun, April 20, 2024, 07:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

autoxforfun

Dave had written some really good posts regarding primer seating and seating depth.  I knew I would need to do something better than what I've been doing....which is using the primer seating capability built into my CO-AX press.  It really has worked pretty well and my results have been good but I thought it was time to see if there was more to be had.

The Primal Rights primer seater seemed to be the recognized best tool out there....even though there were some videos that cast some doubt on that.  But the price tag was holding me back.  Well, I found something that was about 1/3 the price and I believe it will do a great job for me.  It has a easy adjustment for seating depth control and it doesn't take up more bench space since it uses your existing press.

I have seated a about 100 cases and it worked as advertised.  I order their shell holders but I got the drop tubes from Primal Rights.

Here is a link:   https://www.uglyreloadingusa.com/product/precision-primer-seater-patent-pending/

Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

jvw2008

Very cool! And much better priced. The unit looks well made. The only advantage to the CPS is its ability to mate to a F Class Products platform which gives a relative dial indicator measurement.

gman47564

Grant

DHuffman

Looks like a nice tool, my question is can you seat to touch or does it require you seat to a depth stop? If you can seat to touch can you apply a measured crush or preload?
Dave

autoxforfun

Not sure I fully understand the question.  The tool has a micrometer at the base for sub-001 adjustments to seating depth.  As I was seating a primer, you could definitely feel when it made contact with the bottom of the primer pocket.  Then additional pressure would seat the primer deeper until you were at the hard stop.  So with that being said, then you do have control of the amount of crush you want to have.  For the first 100 that I seated, I ended up just seating until I was at the stop which was pretty consistently at 0.007 depth.  I need now to get a more consistent means of measuring seating depth than a set of calipers.....that is in the work.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

DHuffman

I debate this all the time LOL and as Jerry alluded to with PR seater on the F Class plate with the indicator on the ram you don't use the depth stop but rather run the ram up until the primer bottoms in the pocket then put a measured amount of preload on the anvil instead of seating to a set depth which will have a varied preload because of inconsistencies in rim thickness, pocket depth and primer cup height. I prefer .003" preload or crush on the anvil.

Many will say it doesn't matter but I feel I've proved to myself it does.

Dave

Bullet Jockey

Quote from: DHuffman on April 21, 2024, 08:24:30 PMMany will say it doesn't matter but I feel I've proved to myself it does.

Going out to see if something works within your personal program is the correct answer always.

DHuffman

Quote from: Bullet Jockey on April 22, 2024, 09:27:22 AMGoing out to see if something works within your personal program is the correct answer always.

Exactly, I debate and argue a lot of things but mostly it's just sharing what I feel works for me.
Everyone has to plow their own ground.
Dave