News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

New Family Member

Started by autoxforfun, April 20, 2024, 07:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

autoxforfun

As some of you may have known, last year before Thanksgiving, we had to have our 38 year old Arabian horse put down.  We had that boy since he was a three year old so he was part of our life....every day for 35 years.

Horses are my wife's passion but I thoroughly enjoy them and at one time was a capable English rider.  So it has taken her awhile to feel like it was time to find a buddy for our one remaining horse.....a 29 year old Morgan that we've had since a yearling.  Well, last week we brought home a 15 year Arab chestnut gelding.  We knew the trainer and that he has been in good hands for most of his life.  Well,  he now has a new home.  The past week has been getting the two to get to know each other and get along.....so far going pretty well.  The old boy has established himself at the top of the pecking order.....and makes sure the new kid knows it.

Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

bikemutt

That's beautiful country Bob!

We segued into horses back around 1999 or so, lasted until 2008 when we moved back to the city where it became impractical to enjoy their company.

One horse in particular, a Tennessee Walker I named Kismet, was special to me. That gelding taught me a lot about myself. I'd ride him bareback to lunch at an orchard fruit stand, and let him mow their grass area untied. I'd have passing-through city folk ask me of I'm worried he'll run off, lol. Anyway, I'd finish lunch, grab hold of his halter rope, jump on his back and mosey home.

They weren't all like Kismet though, had a one or two that figured killing me was Job 1.
Chris

sportacus

Took a scenic route through the farm country of SW Kentucky this morning on my way to get new tires for the truck. Saw a Amish farmer cutting hay with a team of four. Amazing how much ground those boys can work with draft horses.
If you have the shot, take it.

autoxforfun

We are definitely blessed to have our home and location.  36 years ago, we found this rural community that offered 1 acre lots surrounding about 180 acres of common property.  Behind the white fence line is that common property with some trails, small lakes, lots of oak trees and equestrian facilities.  We can also ride directly to Folsom Lake which will pick up the Western States Trail if you have the desire to ride up to Tahoe.

Since the time when we purchased our home, it is no longer very rural.  Large developments have been built all around us.  A lot of Bay Area folks are moving up and the traffic and congestion is getting pretty bad.  So our community is a bit of an oasis in the center of an ever growing sea of homes.  I suspect the day will come when the community decides that it no longer wants to have horses in the community.....I hope we don't see that day.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

sportacus

Think both my places, TN and LA safe from development in my lifetime. Surrounded by Kisatchie National Forest in LA. Buffered by old time farmers in TN. But, when they die, heirs usually turn the heirloom properties into quick cash. Sad to see the cracker boxes popping up. "Stay off my lawn!"  ;D
If you have the shot, take it.