News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

Gophers

Started by LeadHammer, April 12, 2024, 03:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeadHammer

Managed to get out with a buddy the other day and get some trigger time. 10/22 and .17HMR There will be a few hundred less gophers out in the farmers field now.

The HMR is so much fun. Little laser beam.

gman47564

I have been shooting soft shelled turtles out of my pond with a 17hmr...  :D
Grant

Denver Steve

17hmr is sweet. But I still like using my 17 hornet the best on them. That extra thousand feet per second really adds some punch.

I haven't given my hmr much love in the past few years...

LeadHammer

Well I have to say that I have never shot turtles before.

LeadHammer

I would shoot a lot more HMR if the ammo price was not insane.

gman47564

Quote from: LeadHammer on April 12, 2024, 06:10:32 PMWell I have to say that I have never shot turtles before.

Soft shell turtles are good for nothing other than making more soft shell turtles.. their a nuisances here..
Grant

LeadHammer

Quote from: gman47564 on April 12, 2024, 06:19:50 PMSoft shell turtles are good for nothing other than making more soft shell turtles.. their a nuisances here..

Not judging, any nuisance creature needs pew pew.
I see lots shoot and or hunt frogs someplace down there too. Interesting. 

jvw2008

I grew up gigging frogs. They weren't a nuisance but they sure taste good. 😊

eas1949

I caught a frog when I was four!   I gave it to my little sister, she was 2!   Whoot, right into her mouth it went with its 2 hind legs sticking out.  My mom was pissed!!!

Eric
NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

gman47564

Quote from: jvw2008 on April 13, 2024, 10:24:46 AMI grew up gigging frogs. They weren't a nuisance but they sure taste good. 😊

They sure do.. me and a buddy hunted and killed a bunch of them when I was a young man.. but we didn't gig many of them.. our firearm of choice was 22lr revolvers.. loaded with superx bird shot.. wouldn't be a stretch to get a 100 to a 150 in a night..

That old colt new frontier was poison
Grant

autoxforfun

Ground Squirrels are big right now.  A number of my buddies know ranchers that will let them shoot as long as they can.  They claim they kill hundreds.....and they just got tired of shooting. 
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

LeadHammer

Quote from: autoxforfun on April 13, 2024, 04:54:47 PMGround Squirrels are big right now.  A number of my buddies know ranchers that will let them shoot as long as they can.  They claim they kill hundreds.....and they just got tired of shooting.

These two fields in the past 5 years have probably produced 5000 gophers minimum. Not even kidding. It is just finally slimmer pickings. The rancher is happy.