Thoughts on my American

Started by snuffy19608, March 26, 2024, 03:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snuffy19608

Well, I took the rifle out for the first time a little while ago, and I thought I would share some new guy thoughts about it.

This rifle couldn't have been fired much if at all. The bolt is stiff ( new stiff, on the upturn and downturn) and there were NO marks on the Picatinny rail when I got it. The magazine is a bit difficult to load the fourth round into, I'll get the hang of it. Ironically, the plastic feed lips flexing make it harder in my opinion.

She's accurate with the right ammo. Started with some Winchester 125gr labeled "Target". Lol, yeah it hit the target all right. All over the place above the bull.

Next up was AAC Black Tip 140gr. Noticed an immediate tightening of groups, still need work but at least they could be CALLED groups. Nice stuff overall, and cheaper than the Winchester.

Finished up with some Sierra MK 140 OTM. The best of the session, think I'll be using those for store bought target work.

Overall, it's a good base rifle to start with and I was happy. Trigger is very light, no drag, just a nice clean break. Now all I have to do is learn to shoot the thing better. Overall, after years of AR's and AK's it's nice to try something new.

One final thought, Winchester 125gr SUCKS! Almost every round required extra force to chamber, and I actually had one round jam tight partially into the chamber. I had no tools with me to extricate it, so I ended up beating it INTO the chamber by banging the bolt handle on the wooden table until I could close it. I'm convinced all 20 rounds were out of spec, and will NOT be buying more. The AAC I shot next chambered like glass, every single one of them, and the MK was the same.
But first.....COFFEE!!

gman47564

One final thought, Winchester 125gr SUCKS! Almost every round required extra force to chamber, and I actually had one round jam tight partially into the chamber. I had no tools with me to extricate it, so I ended up beating it INTO the chamber by banging the bolt handle on the wooden table until I could close it. I'm convinced all 20 rounds were out of spec, and will NOT be buying more. The AAC I shot next chambered like glass, every single one of them, and the MK was the same.

Snuff glad your rifle shot ok.. was this a used rifle when you purchased it?

A note of concern.. I personally would never beat a bolt into battery... thankfully it didn't come apart in your hands when you fired it.. rifles can come apart like a grenade... be careful man.
Grant

snuffy19608

In 20/20 hindsight, you have a valid point. I was frustrated,30 minutes from home, no tools to get the case out, and in my defense I GENTLY beat the bolt into position :-[ .  Won't happen again, I'm putting some tools in the rifle case and will remember your advice.

I'm glad it didn't grenade, I shoot at a little podunk club on purpose. I might not have been found for quite awhile. I go to shoot, not to fire a couple rounds and discuss life. That's my Dad when I go to his club.I don't even take much ammo.

The only problem with that place is it only goes to 100yards. After I get better, I need to find a second place with a longer range. In due time. Thank you again for your reply.
But first.....COFFEE!!