News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

New guy

Started by snuffy19608, March 22, 2024, 03:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snuffy19608

Hello, new to bolt actions, picked up a Ruger American Gen 1 used a few weeks back and put a Vortex Crossfire 2 4X12 on her yesterday. The last bolt action rifle I had/shot was a Marlin Glenfield 22LR many years ago. So, I'm starting slow, 100 yards and building from there.

I've been reading up on this and other forums, already getting ahead of myself and wanting/needing another caliber. There was a 7mm-08 American in the used rack at my LGS while I was waiting, VERY intriguing.

I have RCBS dies on the way, and about 120 rounds of a variety of ammunition, Winchester 125GR,Hornady 140GR ELD(?),AAC 140GR and Sierra MK. Tuesday is my day off, very excited.

I will be quite happy to answer any questions, and would LOVE any advice. Please be gentle, I'm a 59y/o baby with this, lol.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I didn't see a new members section.

But first.....COFFEE!!

DHuffman

Welcome, a lot of guys have improved off the Ruger American platform. Lots of old threads here that should come up in a search.
Dave

sportacus

Mr. Snuffy,
Don't know your base of origin.  But, down here with the primitives, (LA, MS, AL, TN, KY, OK and TX,) you be known as "Snuff." Mr. Snuff, this crew, a very good crew, will do their very best to assist. Lots of things you can do without busting the bank for your 6.5 CM. You mentioned a 7-08.  Grab if you can.  Reviews of the GEN II's are great. But, old, salty military dog.  The bolt grind of Gen1's I kinda like.  AK of the bolt world.
Wayne
If you have the shot, take it.

autoxforfun

Welcome to the forum.  You will find this very habit forming..lol.  There some really great folks here to advise you.

When I started to really get serious,  I started at shooting factory ammo the best I could...so a lot of range time developing my skills as a shooter.  This way, I had confidence once I started reloading,  that my groups were load related and not shooter error.

Enjoy the journey and be sure to share.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

LeadHammer

jvw2008

Welcome Snuffy. Everyone here is happy to help and we all thoroughly enjoy watching the improvement of our members over time. Feel welcome to ask questions, show us your work, offer us your thoughts.

Jerry

gman47564

Welcome to the forum!!
As a new shooter take your time and be safe.. enjoy your new rifle...
Grant