News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

RVing and making sure valuable personal items don't grow legs?

Started by bikemutt, March 20, 2024, 06:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bikemutt

We are taking off at the end of the month for some campground time  :D.

I've taken care of the security/deterrence basics like hitch, tire and wheel, propane tank and battery locks.

I imagine folks here who travel around with the kind of personal valuables I have in mind, have given some thought to ensuring these items don't change hands on their own.

Just looking for ideas  ;D
Chris

jvw2008

Make sure your RV and car contents are insured against theft.

LeadHammer

Secret spots in the RV /truck are good for security. Find nice, hard to get to places, or make full length dividers to mimic the end of cupboards type of thing.
Good insurance as mentioned above.

DHuffman

Only camp at gun ranges not some sketchy ass campground where all the tweakers live full time in clapped out old RVs.

Spending a little extra money on a nice campground vs renting the cheapest spot in a trashy campground is money well spent.
Dave

LeadHammer

bikemutt

Quote from: LeadHammer on March 20, 2024, 11:00:52 PMChris, I forgot where you were going  camping?

We're going to start out at KOA campgrounds in Oregon this year. I won't say it's entirely slim-pickins but the choice spots at the choice places have largely been spoken for.

We start in Lincoln City, OR first week in April, home for a month, then Astoria, OR for a week. We were scheduled to hit Klamath Falls, OR in September but the more we looked at aerials, it was starting to look like what @DHuffman described so we baled on that one; $10 cancellation is better than having a bad week.

We found some real nice private campgrounds, may try one of those too.
Chris

LeadHammer

I have never been to Oregon. Maybe one day.  Looks like our family is going to Colorado and Utah in a month though. Burning up some air miles, and our kids have never been there.
My wife and I traveled there with no kids before.  Going to watch a baseball game in Denver and do some other stuff then off to  Moab, Bryce, Canyonlands and Zion.
Last time we went to Ouray, and Mesa Verde, but that will be too much driving this time.

bikemutt

I can't say I'd drive to the end of the earth just to see Oregon but, we have almost as many miles of Pacific Ocean here in Washington, most of them closer to us since we live here than driving to Oregon, trust me when I say Oregon's Pacific beaches are without peer. I suppose California beaches are even more inviting in the weather department, but I don't think they hold a natural beauty advantage over Oregon beaches.

Beauty of course, is in the eye of the beholder.
Chris

autoxforfun

Quote from: LeadHammer on March 21, 2024, 09:21:45 AMLast time we went to Ouray, and Mesa Verde, but that will be too much driving this time.
My wife and I lived in Colorado Springs in the 80's and loved going down that way.  Sitting in a hot tub looking up at the Rockies at night in Ouray....just wonderful.  We did some 4-wheeling up that way and just had a great time.  Came into Telluride from the back side of the boxed canyon....beautiful.

Went skiing at Crested Butte a number of times.....fun times.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

LeadHammer

Quote from: autoxforfun on March 21, 2024, 07:46:08 PMMy wife and I lived in Colorado Springs in the 80's and loved going down that way.  Sitting in a hot tub looking up at the Rockies at night in Ouray....just wonderful.  We did some 4-wheeling up that way and just had a great time.  Came into Telluride from the back side of the boxed canyon....beautiful.

Went skiing at Crested Butte a number of times.....fun times.

When last we were there:
My wife and I were looking for a place to sleep for the night, and were running out of daylight, and + temperatures. I can't remember the town before Ouray, but it was like a truck stop or something. We kept going and were lucky enough to make it to Ouray before the roads froze up on us. ( it was raining and travel was not recommended above a certain elevation, I think it was 1000ft above Ouray or something like that.
We found a local pub to eat and enjoyed our short stay there.