News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Worst thing about a Savage

Started by LeadHammer, March 18, 2024, 11:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeadHammer

20 rounds. This was about halfway clean lol.

autoxforfun

Looks pretty typical for any of my barrels....lol
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

LeadHammer

Quote from: autoxforfun on March 18, 2024, 11:53:23 PMLooks pretty typical for any of my barrels....lol

I'm beginning to feel it's better to us a high speed drill or dynamite lol.

I assume a nice smooth bore will take less time to clean that this chattered one.

Finally got the copper out and will do a quick JB bore paste session with it later today.

DHuffman

I'm not sure I'd keep patching until it's clean, after 6-8 patches id give it a good soak then bronze brush the snot out of it then patch that out to the point the patch is easy to push and call it good.
Dave

LeadHammer

I know what you mean Dave, and I was going back every hour or so and patching out, re soak, iosso blue brush it and leave it for an hour.  Repeat.  It just surprises me how much it can collect in just 20 rounds I could probably collect the copper and make a bullet out of it lol.

DHuffman

I'd be more about maintaining a bore like that vs trying to get it back to clean.
Dave

LeadHammer

Quote from: DHuffman on March 19, 2024, 11:15:09 AMI'd be more about maintaining a bore like that vs trying to get it back to clean.

Very good point, I should experiment with round count on it. This barrel has been slow with the carbon ring buildup too so there is that. Hopefully a clean barrel load development will be close to that same as a dirty one.

eas1949

Get some Tubbs Final finish and it will clean a lot easier

Eric
NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

LeadHammer

Quote from: eas1949 on March 19, 2024, 02:45:45 PMGet some Tubbs Final finish and it will clean a lot easier

Eric

Maybe some JB bore shine. I have some that I have never tried.
 I think I will try the path of least resistance on this barrel and not clean completely to bare metal keeping an eye on the carbon ring area. See how that goes.

gman47564

Can't remember if you got one or not but a cheap teslong bore scope is invaluable to tell you what's going on inside your barrel.. without one your just guessing what's going on in there..
Grant

LeadHammer

Yep I have one Grant, that's how I know my barrel looks like a chatter fest all the way down.

mnbogboy

Teslong and iosso paste for me
Scrub the heck out of it!
I use a foaming copper cleaner before I use the paste 200 strokes usually gets there while taking the carbon at the se time! I find narrelsceasoedt to clean when not threaded into the action!I get tj as tight as i.can.intoy gun vise@
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith