News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

Did you reload any thing today..

Started by gman47564, February 10, 2024, 05:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman47564

For me I loaded 50 300 win mag cases.. 70 something grains of reloader 26 under a 215 grain berger hybrid in peterson cases...

I also sized 85  6.5x284 cases.. their in the que to be loaded tomorrow ..

Thought it might be a fun thread to see what people are loading...
Grant

gman47564

I always forget to add a pic.. lol.

Grant

gman47564

This morning I loaded 88 6.5x284 case's.. 144 grain berger hybrid setting on 50 some grains of reloader 23 in peterson cases.. they did well at distance a couple weeks ago.. I expect these to as well... bout to get caught up on my loading. Lol

Grant

autoxforfun

Don't have photos, but loaded 50 pieces of Peterson Dasher brass with 105g Berger Hybrids and 130 pieces of Alpha brass with 108g Hottensteins this week.  Also plan on loading more 6mm Magnum since that has been shooting really well.  Getting ready for a Freedom 600 yard match on the 25th.  Looks like we have rain coming again so hope it clears up by then.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

DHuffman

We're back into cold, windy and snow mode here.
Right now I've got lots of testing to do both in bench guns as well as the PRS type rigs.

3 bench guns to tune.

PRS type guns

6 BR TL3 on foundation I've got 30ish rounds left of 105 AMAXs, need to get a load developed for 103 Vtacs

6.5x47L origin on McMillan first coarse powder ladder done, this one should flesh out pretty fast.

6GT remmy on KRG Bravo, getting towards the end of 800 atips, pondering my next bullet for when they're gone. Very happy with the Atips aside from the cost and unless I find a deal on some at some point I'll probably lay in 1000 dtac 115s. To nose ring or not, that is the question 😂

That leaves the origin 6.5-.284 in a Bravo, haven't even shot it yet and it's kind of on the back burner but plan on it being my deer gun next fall.

So no shortage of "work" just waiting on conditions as usual.
Dave

autoxforfun

Quote from: HufD63 on February 11, 2024, 10:36:18 AM.......I'll probably lay in 1000 dtac 115s. To nose ring or not, that is the question 😂

I've been shooting the 115 DTAC's for awhile.  I have shot both with and without the nose ring.  At this point I am going with the nose ring since I have convinced myself that they do shoot smaller.  I did some testing side by side (probably not a big enough sample for 100% confidence) that indicated that the nose ring was an improvement.   For me, the question is to get them boron treated or not.  I acquired some from a buddy that was getting out of the sport that were boron treated....haven't shot them yet so don't know how that will work out.
Bob

DHuffman

Quote from: autoxforfun on February 11, 2024, 11:11:28 AMI've been shooting the 115 DTAC's for awhile.  I have shot both with and without the nose ring.  At this point I am going with the nose ring since I have convinced myself that they do shoot smaller.  I did some testing side by side (probably not a big enough sample for 100% confidence) that indicated that the nose ring was an improvement.   For me, the question is to get them boron treated or not.  I acquired some from a buddy that was getting out of the sport that were boron treated....haven't shot them yet so don't know how that will work out.

That was the other question (coated or not) I wasn't going to address just yet. Keep me posted please.
Dave

Denver Steve

A few weeks ago I loaded a ladder test with 5 different powders, 50 rounds total, from too fast to very slow powder for a 9.5" barrel 308.

Used virgin Lapua brass and the now obsolete 225 grain hornady bthp bullet. I wanted to see the kind of velocity I could get, and if the extreme spread of powder burn rate made much of a difference.

I used H322, AA2460, CFE223, Big Game, and RL-17. Loading that heavy of a bullet in a 308 with H322 took quite a about of research to even figure out a starting load, as almost everywhere stops at 168 grains or less, since it is such a fast powder.

The results I got, using my Garmin crono impressed the hell out of me. Especially the accuracy at a hundred yards. Some of the ladders ended up with 3-5 shots in the same hole, and a was going up half a grain a time.

CFE223 gave me the best velocity, which I was blown away with, 2147fps, out out a 9.5" barrel. Way more that I expected. I was hoping for 1900fps. And every other powder ended up in the 2000-2100fps range. The ladder with the Big Game powder had the best stable, almost predictive velocity increase with every shot.

It was very informative and fun at the range for me seeing the velocity with every shot. I have read alot about barrel length, speed, and powder burn rate, but never actually tested it. And now know that a 9.5" barrel 308 can stay supersonic out to a thousand yards.

LeadHammer

No loading today for me, hopefully tomorrow. I did get my headspace and everything figured out with my new calipers, went over my previously sized brass. All is good now. Have around 90 brass to load up at 4 x fired. I really really like the Mitutoyo.

Denver Steve

I also had to develop a load before I drove home for Christmas...old man told me to bring a large rifle home with me. I guessed it was going to be a buffalo hunt on some private land back home, since he wanted something bigger than the 300win mag he had access to.

So I loaded up some 350 grain woodleigh heavy duty round nose for my 375 Ruger. Did a quick ladder test with some reloder 26, had way more velocity than I expected, with a powder everyone says won't work for the 375...just gotta shoot heavier bullets I guess...got some unreal velocities and accuracy. Loaded up 20 to take back home with me for Christmas. Turned out I was correct, and I was able to go hunt a buffalo the day after Christmas!!!

350 grain next to a 30 caliber 168 grain

autoxforfun

In thinking about this thread, maybe a better one would be "what did you do on the days you didn't reload".  Seems like I'm always reloading and if I'm not, then I'm shooting or wishing I was shooting.....lol
Bob

autoxforfun

Quote from: Denver Steve on February 11, 2024, 05:22:20 PMI also had to develop a load before I drove home for Christmas...old man told me to bring a large rifle home with me. I guessed it was going to be a buffalo hunt on some private land back home, since he wanted something bigger than the 300win mag he had access to.

So I loaded up some 350 grain woodleigh heavy duty round nose for my 375 Ruger. Did a quick ladder test with some reloder 26, had way more velocity than I expected, with a powder everyone says won't work for the 375...just gotta shoot heavier bullets I guess...got some unreal velocities and accuracy. Loaded up 20 to take back home with me for Christmas. Turned out I was correct, and I was able to go hunt a buffalo the day after Christmas!!!

350 grain next to a 30 caliber 168 grain

That is quite the monster round.  How much powder do you dump into each cartridge?
Bob

LeadHammer

Denver, did you grab a pic of the damage done to the buffalo? That's a big round lol.

MJeff23

Quote from: HufD63 on February 11, 2024, 10:36:18 AMTo nose ring or not, that is the question

The bare DTACs shoot so well for me, I've never tried the noserings or coated.
Jeff
First impressions are forever.....you don't get a second chance

Denver Steve

I think I ended up loading 86.0 grains of reloder 26 with it. I would have to check. I head shot it straight on at just under a hundred yards running at me through the bush. I was a bit skeptical walking through the bush with 50+ heard of them running around.

Went through the brain, traveled down the spine excited the spine into the hump on its shoulders for a bit. Went back into the spine. Traveled another foot through it then exited. Penetrated a long ways. Didn't move a muscle after I pulled the trigger.

Pictures don't quite do it justice how large it actually is. Not even close to the largest one in the heard. But a decent sized bull.