Ruger American Gen II

Started by sportacus, December 19, 2023, 07:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sportacus

Ruger announced GenII yesterday. Standard and Ranch lines. Expanded the caliber choices. 6 CM, 6 ARC and the PRC's coming this spring. It is sinful the number of first generation RA 6.5 CM's I am holding. We are just hunters and the Tupperware guns get it done. See a fire sale/trading binge in my future.
If you have the shot, take it.

VA-XBolt

I keep looking at the Ruger American rifles in 5.56, as a backup to AR platforms. Magazine interchange is also an attractive feature. Will have to take a look at the Gen IIs.

I also like the fact that the barrel is threaded for 1/2-28, so I can swap out the muzzle brake, for one that will quick attach to one of my suppressors.

sportacus

Got a first generation, left hand RAP in 7-08 a couple of weeks ago. Twist is 1-8.5. Will reload some heavier bullets. Will get the carbon arrow/epoxy forend treatment and a Timney. 7-08 was my go-to before 6.5 CM was introduced.

gman47564

I got one a few years ago chambered in 243.. put it in a boyds prairie hunter stock and it's a nice rifle now.. little heavier with the laminated stock but plenty easy to manage.. and shoots pretty dang good for a varmint killin rifle.. I think that stock at the time was a 110 bucks.. great improvement to the Tupperware stock it came with..
Grant

Denver Steve

That's awesome they are starting to put a faster twist in the 7mm's. They are finally starting to understand people do like shooting heavier bullets as well.

Companies still make 243's in a 1-10", I always think 95-100 grain for deer bullets, but some of the 100 grain bullets don't like to stabilize. Even the 90 grain Sierra tgk hits the target sideways in a ten twist. Gotta try it in the old ladies 1-9-1/8" twist. I'm assuming it will be marginally stable, because 7/8" more of a twist isnt much.

sportacus

Grant,
I put both wife's and step-daughters RAP's in Boyd's around 2017. They are vertically challenged. Five three and five two. 12.5" LOP on both. Rifles are very accurate with 130 Bergers.  Wildlifer's TV. 2019. Season 5, Episode 7. My handiwork in action. Both ladies made one shot kills on quality bucks.
Wayne

sportacus

Going price for the Gen II in most warehouses is $599.99. Will get on list for a 6.5 PRC for the wife at LGS. Carl's price will probably be $500 or a little over.

sportacus

A update. Have watched some video reviews. .223, 7-08 and 6.5 CM. They shoot. Common complaints; (1) Trigger. Easily fixed with a Timney or a $13 spring from MCARBO. (2) Magazine well/mag. Old hands prefer the improved flush-fit on Gen 1. (3) 20" barrel length. Handy, but serious hunters know they are losing some performance.  Especially if they shoot only factory ammo. We reload so could compensate for the MV and energy you lose with shorter barrels.

First run is a hot ticket. I will bide my time. Second release Q1. If the PRC's have 22" or 24" barrels, will get a 6.5 PRC and set it up for the missus.

jvw2008

Your "Missus" sure has a lot of guns!😂

sportacus

Quote from: jvw2008 on January 04, 2024, 05:54:50 PMYour "Missus" sure has a lot of guns!😂
LOL. She has two Creedmoors and a 7-08. The X Bolt SPR in 7 PRC might be too much for her to handle. She defaults to a Savage Lady Hunter in CM. Won't let go of it long enough for me to refinish the stock.