News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

Mauser Large Ring Action with 6.5 Creedmoor Barrel ?

Started by Irish51, October 20, 2023, 12:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irish51

I see a fair amount of Creedmoor take off barrel 24" long. In the past I have taken various 24" Rem 700 of various calibers barrel, cut the Rem threads off and had the barrel rethreaded to Large Ring Mauser threads, matched it up to my Mauser receiver and had a gunsmith finish ream/final headspace and the result was an accurate shooting hunting rifle. I am considering purchasing a Creedmoor 6.5 barrel and doing the same as I've done w/Rem 700 barrels. Has anyone attempt such a project > Can you recommend a gunsmith to do the cut, rethread, finish ream and headspace on such a project? I love my Mauser rifles, love the Mauser actions. Every Mauser build I have done proved far more accurate than any Savage, Mossberg or Winchester out-of-the-box new rifle I bought off the shelf of a gunshop. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

DHuffman

Welcome to the forum! Where do you live? If we knew that perhaps someone could recommend a smith that's closer to you.

Dave

gman47564

Grant

eas1949

I have a JC Higgins Model 50 which is a large ring FN Mauser.  I thought about going with a 6.5 Creedmoor so I loaded a few rounds of 6.5 in the magazine to see how the would feed. They didn't feed well.  Try it.

Eric
NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

The Marshall

I had a FN-made Mexican Mauser made into to a 6.5 Creedmoor with a 24" ER Shaw barrel. I don't remember if Shaw cut the receiver threads. Due to a tight cutting of the chamber and an equally great fitting of the barrel, velocities and accuracy are far better than normal.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
Every man has got to know his limits.