News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

New rifle

Started by gman47564, August 14, 2023, 03:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeadHammer

Grant have you checked the barrel stock clearance?

gman47564

Yep. I mentioned it in reply #6
Grant

gman47564

I have no complaints how the gun is shooting.. I think it's shooting fantastic..
Grant

LeadHammer

gman47564

Grant

gman47564

Thought I would try measuring rim thickness on some of these ar tactical cci's..
I read on AS that you could use a 6br case to do this if you didn't have the proper case gauge.. so I set up my dial indicator and dropped a 22 round down in a 6br case and set my indicator to zero.. after measuring 50 rounds I thought what the heck kind of tolerances are they sorting these things to.. as all 50 of them never got to a thousandth mark on the indicator.. I thought they must be sorting to the ten thousandth.. then I tried some winchester super speed rounds.. and after 5 of them I had a 5 thousandth  spread.. so I get it now.. think the cci's need weight sorted if I decide to get down to the nit picking..

Grant

DHuffman

Quote from: gman47564 on August 19, 2023, 11:00:09 PMThought I would try measuring rim thickness on some of these ar tactical cci's..
I read on AS that you could use a 6br case to do this if you didn't have the proper case gauge.. so I set up my dial indicator and dropped a 22 round down in a 6br case and set my indicator to zero.. after measuring 50 rounds I thought what the heck kind of tolerances are they sorting these things to.. as all 50 of them never got to a thousandth mark on the indicator.. I thought they must be sorting to the ten thousandth.. then I tried some winchester super speed rounds.. and after 5 of them I had a 5 thousandth  spread.. so I get it now.. think the cci's need weight sorted if I decide to get down to the nit picking..

Good info there. Sorting anything is a matter of the desired end result. If it were a rimfire match of some sorts I'd probably need to rim sort them all to find any problems or at least enough to shoot the match then as you suggest weight sort them for good measure.

Maybe it matters on a 22 LR but I've weighed a few BRA loaded rounds and they really weren't that consistent. Reminds me of a quote from an infamous member here years ago.....

"If they weigh the same they'll shoot the same"

I think your earlier test proves it helps in this situation though. There's hope for you yet Grant.... to become a geek like some of the rest of us.
Dave

gman47564

Been doing a little more experimenting with this rifle this morning.. think I'm ready for the new 15 moa rail and scope.. waiting on the rail.. should be here Tuesday.. today I pulled the action from the stock.. adjust the trigger pull and travel.. got it nice now.. while it was apart I bedded the recoil lug. Which is at the rear of the action.. put it all back together and let the fast curing jb weld set up.. and started shooting it.. the sorted by weight bullets made a difference.. 51.3 grains total weight is shooting the best.. and that just happens to be the ones that sort out with the most rounds in the tub after sorting.. here's a pic of 5 shots sorted and 5 shouts at the extreme outer edges of the sorted rounds.. some at 50.5gr to 51.8.. out of sorting probably 300 rounds they was 10 of these outliers.. the outliers had 3 of the 5 in one hole.. lol

Left edge of this diamond has another 5 shot group of the 51.3

When shooting for little groups I will use the sorted bullets.. when plinking at steel I will pull them straight out of the ammo can..
Grant

LeadHammer

These are popular if you want to stay on the cheaper end of a trigger job.

https://www.yodaveproducts.com/store/p93/CZ_457_Spring.html

gman47564

My area 419 15 moa rail came today.. looks nice on the gun.. also got my new strike eagle mounted .. hopefully it will cool off enough this evening I can get it sighted in.. blazing hot out right now.. 🥵
Grant

gman47564

Forgot the pics.. been a hot day at work.. lol

Grant

gman47564

I'm having a blast with this little set up.. 5 @ 50, 3 @100 and 5 at 250 on a 6 inch plate.. a very slight breeze came up after my first 2 at 250 from left to right.. otherwise no air moving that I could feel.. 91 degrees with a 105 heat index..

:D
Grant

LeadHammer

Ughhhh, I need a bolt rim fire.

DHuffman

Quote from: LeadHammer on August 21, 2023, 08:04:21 PMUghhhh, I need a bolt rim fire.

Yeah he's got me all jacked up again too 😂
Dave

autoxforfun

Grant, looks like you are getting hooked on the 22rf.  We have a pretty active group here locally that shoots a number of rimfire matches....those guys are pretty good.  What I've heard the most about is finding a good lot number that shoots well in your rifle and then getting as much of that as you can find.  Anschutz of America will sell at a discount boxes of various lots that they have and then you can buy a larger amount once you have found one that works.  I have not tried sorting.....looks like you have found it beneficial.

Several years ago, I went to a local NRA dinner/fund raiser event and bought a bunch of raffle tickets.  I ended up winning a 45ACP 1911 from a local gun store.  I really didn't want the 45 so I asked if I could put it toward something else.  I ended up buying a CZ 455 UltraLux 22rf rifle.  I ended up getting a MDT chassis for it.....fun and solid rifle to shoot.

If I was going to build a competitive rimfire, I think I would look hard at the Zermatt Arms rimfire action as a start.  It has a Rem700 footprint and supports an AICS magazine (which they make).  Comes in a number of rimfire flavors (22lf, 22 WMA, 17 etc).  Haven't looked into barrels so don't know what is required complete the build.  I was thinking a 17 WSM might be something interesting.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough