News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Barrel questions

Started by LeadHammer, August 07, 2023, 11:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeadHammer

Does anyone know what the factory Stealth contour is? I am hoping to go a bit bigger, for better balance.

For the 6.5 CM, but other calibers as well. Are people finding a particular length to be easier to tune or that seems to be more accurate?

I would like to be able to use the rifle for coyotes/deer, but it will be mostly for range/field use.

I will be using a tuner and brake. My tuner is stainless, but my brake is aluminum, I will probably get a new steel brake, Insite arms Heathen or EC tuner brake gen 2. I like the looks of the EC, but the Insite combo, can be used tuner only or brake only or both of course.

I am hoping to get a cut rifle barrel over button, however button ones are faster to get made up up here, and seem to do well.

My current rifle is 13.5lbs.

Will be prefit.

Thinking of getting a no neck turn chamber.
0.004" clearance??

Would cheap brass still seal on expansion if Lapua/Peterson was not available? Probably be 0.006" neck clearance.

Sorry for all the questions, I know some stuff has been mentioned throughout the forum but my memory is like a rabbit's tail.

gman47564

Hears my suggestion.. the barrel on your rifle now is just shy of what is called a heaven varmint contour.. if you want something similar go with a heaven varmint contour..  when I screw a new one on its always going to be at least a 26 inch pipe.. if not 28.. as far as hunting goes 2 more inches than your 24 inch isn't going to matter.. personally I would pick up a cheap rifle and set it aside for hunting only instead of trying to do everything with one..
Grant

DHuffman

28" heavy varmint or 26" HV I think the HV contour is the perfect sweet spot for tuneable barrel whip.
Dave

LeadHammer

Thanks so far guys.
Grant I think my barrel is .750 at the muzzle, so seems like a light Varmint when compared to what I see online. I need to take some rough measurements today, after shooting this am.
So it looks like  26" HV contour so far.

Do you guys have suggestions for a no turn neck chamber?

Grant I have other hunting rifles but love shooting this one the most. ( hate normal rifle ergonomics now. ) I don't hunt walking miles and miles anymore, just find a spot to post up. Sometimes this rifle even goes for a ride in the atv case. ( non big game season )

gman47564

Can you order from northland shooter supply.. if you can I would call James and put in a order for a 26 inch hv contour shilen select match large shank barrel.. if you can't order here I would go with a sammi spec chamber wherever you get it from..
Grant

LeadHammer

That looks like a great store and not that far away. Unfortunately it's a bit of a pain and cost importing barrels to Canada.

Maybe Dave can send me that 26" "flagpole"
or "coat hanger bar"for my closet lol

LeadHammer