News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

25cm upgrade

Started by gman47564, July 20, 2023, 08:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman47564

Decided to do a little upgrade to my 25 creedmoor.. been shooting it off and on for about a year now.. in the process of doing a retune of my load for it as something is off just a little.. I decided before I did this I wanted to upgrade the trigger.. so I ordered a jard trigger for it 3 or 4 days ago and it arrived today.. got the 7 to 12 oz trigger for this one.. got it installed this evening.. the 7 to 12 oz trigger seems to have a little more free travel to it compared to the 12 to 18 oz triggers I have on a couple of my other guns.. when I say free travel I mean the trigger shoe moves a little before it engages the sear.. I thought I could adjust that out of it but adjusting it per the instructions it didn't change that free play.. may have to call jard and ask about it.. the trigger does break nice.. just wish when I touched it that shoe didn't move a fuzz before you felt it engage and go off.. anyway will see if I can get the gun tuned back up in this heat like it was when it was cool out
Grant

gman47564

Thought I would do a auddette ladder on this gun this evening.. pretty much turned into a train wreck.. lol..
I'm limited to 250 yards now that the corn is tall but thought that's far enough.. so I stuck me a 1 inch orange target dot on a big clean white paper and put it on my board at 250 yards..warmed the gun up with 4 shots at a 100. Dialed the gun for 250 and let the first one go.. dang hit the top of that orange dot. Figured they would climb up off the orange dot and I would be ok.. wrong.. my next 5 shots were in that 1 inch target dot with my 7th shot climbing up out of it.. even though the target looks like a train wreck I figured out what holes made what colors and think I got some useful data.. wish I could have shot that at 450.. anyway here's the train wreck

41.5 and 41.7 are touching each other horizontally

Grant

gman47564

Loaded up 3 rounds of 41.5, 41.6, and 41.7. Shot at 250 yards.. I shot 3 rounds at a 100 to put a little heat in the barrel.. think I should have shot a couple more.. 41.6 shot good.. half inch.. but didn't like the groups on either side of it.. the highest shot on 41.5 was my 4th shot on the gun today.. makes me think the barrel may not of had enough heat in it yet but may be wrong.. gonna load 3 more of 41.5 and 41.6 and see what happens..

Grant

gman47564

Thought I would test seating .004 longer and shorter on the 41 6 load and both looked like I shot a shotgun down there.. 3 inches higher than the charge test load and a 3 inch group for both.. thought damn never seen a load blow up like that but it's obviously junk.. so I decide to test some seating depths on my original load to see if I could get it better and my first group with it was way high and 3 or 4 inches big.. something has to be wrong with the gun.. setting at the bench looking at it and pulling around on the scope to see if it had came loose and seen my dang muzzel brake was a half a turn off.. ports pointing up and down.. sure enough I could turn it with my hand .get down and get my tools and tighten it back up and the gun shot like it should.. went ahead and finished my seating test and .008 shorter shot really nice.. .004 shorter wasn't bad either.. here's the .008 group..

Grant

LeadHammer

Dang I hate when something like the brake or rings comes loose. It's the wasted time loading ammo, the truck and driving to the range that drives me crazy.

gman47564

Doesn't happen very often to me.. but I've gotten in the habit of taking my brakes off everytime I clean my barrels to clean the crowns and guess I didn't get it snuged up quiet enough.. wasted a few rounds and didn't learn a thing in my testing till I figured out it had turned.. frustrating..
Grant

gman47564

After working on the tune on this 25cm I pretty much worked my way right back around to where I was originally.. lol.. gives the gun a good cleaning last night and today to foul the barrel I used 8 of my original rounds.. the last 4 of them made a ragged hole at 250.. I went ahead and tested some seating on that load and I also tested seating on the 41.6 charge .. it shot another half inch group but opened up to a 11/4 group with a .002 change in seating on both sides.. went back and shot a few groups with my original load and most
 of them are right around 3/4 inch ..with one group being stupid small..with all 3 in one hole.. guess I did everything right there.. lol.. any way some groups and the gun.

That one pic has 2 three shot groups.. with a scope adjustment after the first group..
Grant