News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

Target camera system

Started by bikemutt, June 20, 2023, 12:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hdmunger

Another (cheap maybe) option is to use an old cell phone to record the string as its being shot.  Then you can go back and watch the footage to get your shot order.

I've found that a video recording app that only records 1 frame per second (instead of 30) keeps the file size down and makes it quicker to watch the holes as they appear.

If you're looking for a live feed at 300 yards, you might be able to get this to work with a cheap wifi router to relay from old phone to your daily phone (not sure about the range, but it might work).

bikemutt

Quote from: hdmunger on June 22, 2023, 04:22:25 PMAnother (cheap maybe) option is to use an old cell phone to record the string as its being shot.  Then you can go back and watch the footage to get your shot order.

I'd be happy with just stills, one picture per shot, it's for post-session record keeping.

I already use an older Samsung S5 which still works with the Labradar app, I haven't checked to see what sort of zoom it offers, and if that would be enough to see tiny shots on a 300 yard target.

I'll try it next time  :D
Chris

bikemutt

Chris

Gameiro

jvw2008

Quote from: bikemutt on June 23, 2023, 12:08:44 PMThinking something like this might work, mounted on a bench tripod: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BSRPNDNK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Don't know why you would spend the money for that. You smart phone camera is surely good enough for target pictures. Do you have a spotting scope you can link your phone with using the attachment I linked? Mirage is the only thing that might prevent good function.

bikemutt

Quote from: jvw2008 on June 23, 2023, 06:15:00 PMDon't know why you would spend the money for that. You smart phone camera is surely good enough for target pictures. Do you have a spotting scope you can link your phone with using the attachment I linked? Mirage is the only thing that might prevent good function.

I don't have a spotting scope.

After reading a lot of reviews for smartphone camera adapters, I'm not sure I want to deal with alignment issues. There are also issues with the size of the smartphones that are supported.

No matter what, I'm not going to find anything for less than $200, total, that's worth owning.

20 megapixels for the camera is pretty decent, 42x optical zoom should be plenty for 300 yards and, if it doesn't work, it's Amazon, free returns :)   
Chris

jvw2008

I like the part about no fault return. 👍 Hope it works good for you.

hdmunger

Quote from: bikemutt on June 22, 2023, 07:27:41 PMI'd be happy with just stills, one picture per shot, it's for post-session record keeping.

I already use an older Samsung S5 which still works with the Labradar app, I haven't checked to see what sort of zoom it offers, and if that would be enough to see tiny shots on a 300 yard target.

I'll try it next time  :D

I forgot to say that I put the recording cell phone down by the target so I get a good clean shot of the targer face (be mindful of the glare from sun reflecting off the target).

If your are recording at 1 frame per second, that video then plays back at 30 fps, so a 2 hour session results in a recording that is only 4 minutes long.

bikemutt

Anyone seen this new Labradar product in action?

https://buymylabradar.com/products/triggercam-2-1?mc_cid=97cc87c8b9&mc_eid=0219467ab0

I wondered about using a riflescope-mounted camera not only as a shot marking device, but also as a no-contact aiming device, essentially a heads-up display for shooting. Yes, I think it's cheating, life is unfair  ;D .
Chris

jvw2008

Looks like it was made to order for you Chris!!

No experience with it personally and I don't think I would use it to replace my Shot Marker but it's a couple hundre less expensive.

bikemutt

Quote from: jvw2008 on September 13, 2023, 12:46:35 PMLooks like it was made to order for you Chris!!

No experience with it personally and I don't think I would use it to replace my Shot Marker but it's a couple hundre less expensive.

What I'm thinking is mounting a riflescope on a tripod, I do have an extra 8-32x50 Sightron SIII.

Tried a spotting scope camera but it's just not the right optic for this IMO, too wide FOV.
Chris

gman47564

If your looking for a spotting scope I can recommend this one.. it's what I use..

Celestron Regal M2 80ED Spotting Scope – Fully Multi-Coated Optics – Hunting Gear – ED Objective Lens for Bird Watching, Hunting and Digiscoping – Dual Focus – 20-60x Zoom Eyepiece https://a.co/d/1DGGu6e
Grant

bikemutt

Quote from: gman47564 on September 13, 2023, 07:33:04 PMIf your looking for a spotting scope I can recommend this one.. it's what I use..

Celestron Regal M2 80ED Spotting Scope – Fully Multi-Coated Optics – Hunting Gear – ED Objective Lens for Bird Watching, Hunting and Digiscoping – Dual Focus – 20-60x Zoom Eyepiece https://a.co/d/1DGGu6e

Thanks Grant, I edited my post; just don't think a spotting scope works real well for this application. What I really want to see is what I see through my scope, spotting scopes don't accomplish that, by design.
Chris

autoxforfun

I like the flexibility and measurement capabilities of ShotMarker.....not looking at other options. 
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough