News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

Savage Stealth action parts gun

Started by DHuffman, April 24, 2023, 06:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHuffman

Couple updates. Once fitted the bottom metal and P mags function very well.

I suspected running RL 16 a powder known to bring the speed might not be a great choice to run slow but had plenty and wanted to try it. I did an actual powder ladder at 150 on Sunday at 2.810" COAL which is about .045" off showing 39.7 at 2730-50 plenty accurate on steel from 600 to 1000 but on paper at 150 yards was .5 MOA at best at .035" off and .065" but very far off those specs either direction it opened up to .75 MOA
So while I'm not going to burn up a lot of bullets, powder and primers tuning this rig into the .1s I do expect it to hold .5 or less on paper.
So it's either not liking the bullet, powder or velocity. I'm leaning towards the powder and before anybody suggests it I know there's an accurate node up above 2800 but the sole purpose of this little exercise is to get it down to a modest velocity that lets the gun lay flat on firing and reduce muzzle jump making spotting hits/misses easier, more barrel life etc.
I'm going to run out of 142s within another 2 or three test sessions then it's onto just over 200 147 ELDMs then there's a bag of 200 136 Scenars. After that I'll have all my odd batches of 6.5 bullets shot up and I'll probably throw down on 1k 140 ELDMs 😂
I've got about 10# of IMR 4451 that runs slower than 4350 and alot slower than RL 16 so I'm thinking fuller case, better fill at slower speeds so I'll give it a try.

I've run the 130 ELDMs up into the 2900 range easily before and have plenty as well. According to the Hornady 4 dof app at 735 yards with a 10 mph cross wind the 130 @ 2850 gives up .5 MOA of wind to the 142 @ 2740 but the 142 gives up .75 MOA in elevation to the 130 so 2-3 clicks on either knob, not a huge difference there. The 140 ELDM is within .02 MOA on wind and takes .6 MOA less elevation than the 142 so for a lower cost steel shooting bullet it looks very good.

Dave

LeadHammer

They are 128, 129, and 130 on the burn rate chart. Must be close.

LeadHammer

If you want the lowest recoil, shoot 130 ELDM's on the slow side, however 140's @2710 don't kick terribly anyway in my 13lb Stealth.

DHuffman

Quote from: LeadHammer on May 09, 2023, 12:26:01 AMThey are 128, 129, and 130 on the burn rate chart. Must be close.

Despite their proximity on the chart there's obvious differences in volume and velocities grain to grain.

If IMR 4451 doesn't put me where I want to be accuracy and speed wise I think H 4831 SC will.
Dave

DHuffman

Quote from: LeadHammer on May 09, 2023, 12:32:11 AMIf you want the lowest recoil, shoot 130 ELDM's on the slow side, however 140's @2710 don't kick terribly anyway in my 13lb Stealth.

The 130s work very well in the x47 barrels, pretty easy to run a full case of the 4350 burn rate powders and be at 2800 with them. The wind scenarios above were with the 130 @ 2850 so the slower it gets from there it starts falling behind in that department.
The x47 case starts crunching h4350 above 40.5 grains depending on throating so at some point you hit the spot where you stall out at low 2800s or you switch to Varget and the 140s. I've never ran RL 16 in one, .9g faster but a bulkier powder might be a wash there also. Running h4831sc might get a 140 into the 2700s but I'm not sure I'd bet on it.

Then there's the 135 Atips, I've got about 200 of them also but I'd sure hate to find they're the "perfect" bullet here and have to lay in a pile of them. 
Dave

DHuffman

Cash and carry, no shipping LOL

Dave

gman47564

Grant

LeadHammer

Nice Dave!! I went to get some Lapua brass, but saw these on sale for $59, so bought a couple boxes and some accelerator.

DHuffman

$41.99 per hundred, had about 7000 on the shelf.
Dave

LeadHammer

Quote from: HufD63 on May 12, 2023, 09:18:12 PM$41.99 per hundred, had about 7000 on the shelf.

I wish. Buy them cheap and stack them deep.

Denver Steve

Yeah I wish components where $40 here..
I loaded a bunch of rounds up yesterday and the box says $32.99 on it....next boxes I have are in the 40's. The under $20 are long gone now...

DHuffman

Still playing with this occasionally, tried some imr 4451 that never really shot very good.

Tried some H4831 sc but started too high. I'd say it shot smaller than anything so far so I've got another ladder loaded up to shoot when the wind is decent.

Into the third firing on the Alpha brass and it's not extracting well so I also tried some Lapua made from .308 win Palma back in the day LOL, extraction was horrible on them as well so I started examining how much sizing I was getting at the .200 line. Almost none, so I start measuring the dies I have and the Forster was giving the least then the Lee only very slightly better. The Redding body die was giving almost .002" so I resized the 18 sized & primed cases with it then screwed the decap/expander out of the Lee to size the necks then set the neck tension with an expander.
I would have used the trusty old Lee Collet die but the cases were primed.

I've been shooting 210Ms in the Alphas but I'm pretty sure the old Lapuas were primed with 450s and these with the H4831 sc shot probably the smallest group yet with this gun.

I'll see how the next set shoots then proceed. Unknown (300+/-) round count on the barrel when I got it years ago. I probably put 400+/- on it when I had it ony Savage 3 screw dual port then set it back and shortened/recrowned. It ought to shoot 😂
Dave

LeadHammer

I'm sure you will get it shooting awesome. I cut the decapping pin off my Lee Collet mandrels.

DHuffman

Quote from: LeadHammer on July 02, 2023, 11:12:27 PMI'm sure you will get it shooting awesome. I cut the decapping pin off my Lee Collet mandrels.

I've thought about it a time or two but have left it. The notion that the pin that fits loose in the flash hole centers the case is wrong. It's the body of the mandrel and the collet.
The decap part of the mandrel does nothing but punch out primers.
Dave

DHuffman

This is the best this POS has shot since assembly LOL
I hit the cases with the Redding body die and the extraction was much improved also.

Dave