News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

TL3 / Foundation build

Started by DHuffman, April 21, 2023, 04:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHuffman

Ordered the action today and it's headed for a SD FFL today or Monday I believe.

Have a pretty good deal on a used TL3 inletted Foundation Genesis mg2 with Hawkins bottom metal and a brass Anarchy front rail bought that should ship Monday.

Pictured are the 3 barrels I'm starting with.
All 28"
6 BR Criterion Match 8 twist
6.5x47 Lapua Shilen Select Match 8 twist
6.5 Creedmoor Shilen Select Match 8 twist

These are 3 of the best barrels I've ever had and low enough round counts that they're headed to a smith in Dickinson ND.

He's going to set them all back enough to get into clean rifling and recut the lands to sharp. I'm guessing .100" will clean them right up.
Then he's going to recrown them to 26" and thread them for brakes.

I took 2 large shank Savages for my Stealth action to him on Tuesday and he did the same to them. Wyatt picked them up today and is bringing them up this weekend I think.
Ones a 4 groove 8 twist Rock Creek 6 Dasher and the other is a Criterion Match 8 twist 6.5 Creedmoor.

Looking forward to putting these two guns together.

Dave

LeadHammer

Looking forward to the build updates!

Rob01

Can you have him get rid of the barrel nuts and shoulder them? With a TL3 those aren't needed.

DHuffman

Quote from: Rob01 on April 21, 2023, 05:34:47 PMCan you have him get rid of the barrel nuts and shoulder them? With a TL3 those aren't needed.

I don't think there's enough shank diameter left to make a shoulder but I thought the same thing. Even a large shank barrel would have a very very small shoulder. 1.120 just ahead of the nut on a large shank is a pretty small shoulder. On the small shank they're 1.055" same as the threads so there would be nothing at all to make a shoulder out of.

Honestly I'm thinking about setting the head space with the nut and making a witness mark then pulling them off and taking them to work and having the welder tig two or three tacks on them and call it good. These guys TIG stainless pipeline all day every day and every weld gets xrayed. I think they could do it. 
Dave

Rob01

Ah ok. Yeah too small but any future ones just get the shoulders make life so much easier. I would definitely do the tig weld if he will do it.

DHuffman

Quote from: Rob01 on April 21, 2023, 05:53:17 PMAh ok. Yeah too small but any future ones just get the shoulders make life so much easier. I would definitely do the tig weld if he will do it.
Yeah any barrel going forward will be shouldered. These are pretty good barrels and I want to use them for now.
Dave

gman47564

I would have reservations about welding the nut to the barrel.. you may be introducing stress to a barrel that has been stress relieved.. if I was going to try using the nut as a permanent shoulder I think I would clean the threads really good and jb weld it on there..
Grant

Rob01

Or maybe JB weld and then have the smith pin it in place.

DHuffman

If I wanted to get real serious I'd true the action face of an old Savage action to the threads in the action and then mock it up and weld it snugged up in the old action so the nut was 100% flat to the action face. Then put it on the intended action.
Dave

DHuffman

Quote from: gman47564 on April 21, 2023, 06:02:30 PMI would have reservations about welding the nut to the barrel.. you may be introducing stress to a barrel that has been stress relieved.. if I was going to try using the nut as a permanent shoulder I think I would clean the threads really good and jb weld it on there..

I've thought a lot about it over the years, several different ways to do it. I probably won't mess with any of it really. I've gotten pretty good at getting the headspace where I want it and back to where it was in a situation where I take one off and put it back on later.
If you hold the action with an action wrench and put the barrel in a vice and bump it up on a go gage it's pretty repeatable for me.

These barrels won't last forever and I'll move on to the shouldered barrels then.
Dave

gman47564

I agree.. it's not that hard to put them back to where they were.. and the nut does what it was intended to do..
Grant

DHuffman

Probably the way to do it would be to JB the nut all the way forward on the threads. Set the barrel back until the it shoulders up and chambers. Switch barrels with a rear entry wrench and vice so the nut doesn't get the force applied to it.

If I were going to go to all that trouble I'd still want to jig it up on a trued action face until the glue set up hard.
Dave

DHuffman

Quote from: gman47564 on April 21, 2023, 06:35:17 PMI agree.. it's not that hard to put them back to where they were.. and the nut does what it was intended to do..

It does but swapping shouldered barrels is way easier faster and repeatable every time with no measuring required. Easy button!

If a guy glued or welded the nut on not under tension I'd be skeptical it would face up to the action as it should and that would not help accuracy I think LOL
Dave

gman47564

Yep it would need to be tightened down for sure I would think..
Grant

LeadHammer

Can you make your own separate/specific go gauge's after each barrel is mounted where you want it? Just grab each custom gauge for each barrel when swapping.