News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Zermatt Actions

Started by DHuffman, April 13, 2023, 10:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHuffman

Anybody here have experience with them.

I'm seriously considering a TL3 with the DLC coating.

With a Remington footprint for triggers and stocks, control round feed (BR case) and blade (mechanical) ejector that negates the need to completely strip the bolt to find the lands or brass bump it's really everything I'm looking for in a hunting/steel rifle that can flawlessly mag feed a BR case all the time.

Nutted and shouldered prefit barrels in stock @ Northland makes barrels a next day thing for me.

Curious what anybody with experience has to say.

The next day shouldered Criterion Match prefits in the $300 - $500 range is a big draw for me.

Dave

DHuffman

Dave

DHuffman

https://northlandshooterssupply.com/actions/zermatt-bighorn-arms-tl3-actions/zermatt-bighorn-arms-tl3-short-action-dlc/

I've been thinking between a Kelbly Atlas and an Impact 737 for awhile now but it all boils down to the control round feed and the mechanical ejector for me. I don't think I could get the control feed in a Atlas.
I don't think I could get either in an Impact.
Either way next day barrels are kind of the deal sealer for me I think.
Dave

LeadHammer

I think a TL3 is great for all the points you listed. I don't think it's supposed to be quite as slick/smooth as some other actions.
Impact is one I was interested in as well.
Lone Wolf looks nice but I have not researched it much.

DHuffman

Yeah I agree it may not be quite as slick as some others but I think the DLC coating will get it close and after it wears in should be even closer.
Dave

jvw2008

I set up a steel rifle for a friend of mine on the TL3 action. It shoots very well but does not run nearly as smooth as my Deviant Elite which is also control feed with mechanical eject. If you are thinking competition for this rifle I would try to track down a new or used Deviant E. Or run the Impact if you have handled that action and are happy with the bolt cycle.

DHuffman

I might shoot an occasional and I mean very occasional match with it but it would not really be a comp gun.

I wish I'd bought a Deviant before the sale but between the price hike and the new ownership I'll pass on a new one. I'm guessing a used one will have increased in value as well.

Was the one you set up DLC coated?
Dave

DHuffman

The Impact has neither control feed or mechanical eject.
Dave

gman47564

My boy runs a tl3 on his 6.5 creedmoor.. no issues with it that I'm aware of.. runs slick as can be seemed to me like.. I've also run just a couple impact actions .. just the action.. no barrel or stock.. I would choose the tl3 if they all run like colts does..
Grant

DHuffman

I ran Jerry's bare action Deviant before he did in Shawn's shop in Helena. I think he might be exaggerating  :D
Dave

jvw2008

Let's see now - that would have been 4 years ago. 😊. I think your memory is short or maybe just muddled - you know early dementia. I'm running the Deviant side by side with a Borden BRMXD - today. With the mag removed on the Deviant, the two are almost identical. I've obviously also run the TL3. Quality of cycling in order: BRMXD, Deviant Elite, TL3.

Kidding aside Dave, if it's not for comp the TL3 will be a great action. I probably wouldn't put it on the bench in bags, but I bet it would do good for PRS or some of the steel shooting like Grant does.

autoxforfun

I have two 'Bighorn' TL3 actions.  Both are right bolt, left port.  In fact I just shot one today at 1000 yards chambered in 6CM.  I like the actions and the flexibility to use a Savage small shank pre-fit barrel if you want.  All my match rifles are either Savage or TL3's with one Defiance Rukus in the mix.  With the same triggers, I would say that the Definance is maybe a little smoother to operate but not that much over the TL3.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

DHuffman

Quote from: autoxforfun on April 13, 2023, 07:56:06 PMI have two 'Bighorn' TL3 actions.  Both are right bolt, left port.  In fact I just shot one today at 1000 yards chambered in 6CM.  I like the actions and the flexibility to use a Savage small shank pre-fit barrel if you want.  All my match rifles are either Savage or TL3's with one Defiance Rukus in the mix.  With the same triggers, I would say that the Definance is maybe a little smoother to operate but not that much over the TL3.

Are yours DLC coated Bob?
Dave

DHuffman

Quote from: jvw2008 on April 13, 2023, 03:25:53 PMI set up a steel rifle for a friend of mine on the TL3 action. It shoots very well but does not run nearly as smooth as my Deviant Elite which is also control feed with mechanical eject. If you are thinking competition for this rifle I would try to track down a new or used Deviant E. Or run the Impact if you have handled that action and are happy with the bolt cycle.

Was the TL3 you handled DLC coated?
Dave

autoxforfun

Both of mine are just the brushed Stainless Steel.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough