News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

Tuner Info

Started by jvw2008, March 11, 2023, 10:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jvw2008

https://youtu.be/MqIxfQ6mQyw

Good info here for those interested in tuner results.

Bullet Jockey

But but but tuners don't work  ::)  ::)

Part two

jvw2008

😂 Oh sh*t!!! That's right - I forgot.

jvw2008

I found this fellow's thoughts regarding barametric pressure interesting.

LeadHammer

Makes you wonder if the baro has more impact than temp? Or is at least as important and can potentially stack symptoms.

jvw2008

Pressure change at a fixed altitude would be similar to altitude change at a fixed temperature. Different values but the same idea. DA calculation involves a number of parameters. It's nice to find it as just a number in your ballistic calculator. 😊

According to this fellow's results it may have more effect than I realized. Because barometric pressure changes more slowly than temperature we probably pay less attention to it in mental predictions on any given day of shooting. Changes from day to day should maybe be in our thought process though.

Bullet Jockey

Quote from: jvw2008 on March 13, 2023, 07:52:44 AMDA calculation involves a number of parameters. It's nice to find it as just a number in your ballistic calculator. 😊

I agree...I think DA is the answer to his question not barometric pressure. 

LeadHammer

Is DA more accurate than some of the other parameters anyway? I always wanted to test both at distance but sadly have not.

EagleSix

I use station (absolute) pressure as the main parameter to calculate density altitude.  A pressure reading itself is rather useless to me other than to calculate the DA.  Corrected pressure requires a known elevation and then it is a close guess, but not as accurate as calculating from absolute pressure.  For the same reason DA is bad for pilots, it is a blessing to shooters, most of the time!

DC

So, Basically, All this info is for shooters trying to put multiple bullets into a 1(ish) hole at a thousand yards?!(ok 3", have to allow for some error  :P ).

That's great for target shooters, but hunters, well all that info changes 1/2 hr by 1/2 hr, or so.  And for some target shooters, just hitting the gong is good enough, much less grouping the shots.

If I can get mine to hit the 1"x1" "X" on the target at 100 yards, that is good for me.

Moving farther out allows a spread but is still quite deadly for any shooting.

gman47564

That's the great thing about shooting dc.. we all have goals we try to reach .. and we don't all share the same goals.. sounds like you have met yours and that is great.. some of us are addicts and never reach our goals.. witch is great as well.. welcome aboard.. lots of hunters here as well as some really good competitive shooters also and every where inbetween..
Grant

jvw2008

Quote from: DC on March 31, 2023, 10:52:08 AMSo, Basically, All this info is for shooters trying to put multiple bullets into a 1(ish) hole at a thousand yards?!(ok 3", have to allow for some error  :P ).

That's great for target shooters, but hunters, well all that info changes 1/2 hr by 1/2 hr, or so.  And for some target shooters, just hitting the gong is good enough, much less grouping the shots.

If I can get mine to hit the 1"x1" "X" on the target at 100 yards, that is good for me.

Moving farther out allows a spread but is still quite deadly for any shooting.

I absolutely agree with you and your goals. It's interesting though that the first commercial tuner was marketed on a Browning hunting rifle. If you investigate that, I think you will find the idea behind it is to tune your ammo to your rifle platform regardless of the weather conditions. That application was successful and tuner use became common.
 With your hunting rifle, if you can reduce your 100 yd MOA from 1" to 1/2" your 3" group at 300 yds just got reduced to a potential 1.5" group. That's desirable. My point is simply that tuners can be used for gross group tuning and then if you are a target shooter they can also be used to finely tweak your group to meet the change in environmental conditions. In a hunting application the gross tune is often worthwhile.
 Here is another example for application on a hunting rifle. A tuner in place will allow you to get your best groups for two different commercial applications. A 120 gr bullet and a 168 gr bullet will shoot differently in the same rifle. A tuner can help you get optimal performance from each ammo and the tuner setting is likely to be different if you're using commercial ammo.

Bullet Jockey

A tuner/tuner brake combo is a great idea for a hunter using factory ammo that may want to shoot at extended ranges. Dialing in a tuner can be as simple as set and forget for a hunter because you have a fairly large margin of error comparatively speaking. It doesn't have to be tweaked 45min to an hour to be effective.

DC

Not knowing much about tuners:
I had my brake put on correctly by a gunsmith (rotated to compensate for bullet rotation)
Will adding a brake help/hinder?
Does it go before/after the brake?

jvw2008

If you are using both a brake and a tuner you pretty much have to use a combo unit. Do a search for a tuner/brake combo to look at costs and manufacturers. Some of the other folks here might suggest one they feel is particularly good.